1.    #1  
    Has anyone gotten the Gmail app that google makes for windows mobile 5 to work on the treo 750? I have tried to download it to my 750 and I cannot get it to run. I have this app on both my HTC Wizard and Nokia E61 and it works perfectly. I would like to carry it over to my treo.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    link?
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I have the 700WX and I downloaded the app yesterday but it was some weird format, and I couldn't get it to work. I would love to try it out though.
    Guys, just use the Outlook mail client on the device, to grab your Gmail. You don't have to use some clunky Java app to do it, which will bog down your device, and Java isn't really designed to be used on a WM device anyway.

here's how:

Go into the Pocket Outlook program on the device (part of 'Messaging'). Use the following steps and processes:

Menu key
    Tools
    New Account

the setup wizard that follows should step you through the process, assuming you know your Gmail user name and password, etc. Note - see the below instructions for going to the Gmail app on your PC browser, and making a few settings there that need to be followed BEFORE setting up the Gmail account on your Treo.

From your PC browser:

Access your Google Mail account, then go into Settings (top right), Forwarding and POP tab,

- Disable forwarding

- Enable POP for all email

- Keep copy in Google Inbox

And do not revisit that tab because it redefaults any time accessed to no POP even if you do not make a change.

There is no need to enter the 'Domain' part on the device setup. 700wx wizard automatically configures all settings if the email address is correct before discovery.

Remember that if email address or password is somehow wrong, you may actually be prompted confusingly enough for domain, but it happens for sure if POP is not enabled.

------------
    I did these steps, and now I get my Gmail easily on my device, and I have the GMail - 2 new unread - etc thing right on my Today screen. Awesome.
    Johnny,

I followed your steps and I can not get this to work. I get everything set up, it down loads 364 headers, but then displays nothing. I send/recieve and nothing happens. Could I be doing something wrong?
    I forget why it does that.

Next time you try and send/receive it shouldnt do that.

Its checking all the headers in your inbox and seeing what date they are from, and next will know not to check them.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Guys, just use the Outlook mail client on the device, to grab your Gmail. You don't have to use some clunky Java app to do it, which will bog down your device, and Java isn't really designed to be used on a WM device anyway.

here's how:

Go into the Pocket Outlook program on the device (part of 'Messaging'). Use the following steps and processes:

Menu key
    Tools
    New Account

the setup wizard that follows should step you through the process, assuming you know your Gmail user name and password, etc. Note - see the below instructions for going to the Gmail app on your PC browser, and making a few settings there that need to be followed BEFORE setting up the Gmail account on your Treo.

From your PC browser:

Access your Google Mail account, then go into Settings (top right), Forwarding and POP tab,

- Disable forwarding

- Enable POP for all email

- Keep copy in Google Inbox

And do not revisit that tab because it redefaults any time accessed to no POP even if you do not make a change.

There is no need to enter the 'Domain' part on the device setup. 700wx wizard automatically configures all settings if the email address is correct before discovery.

Remember that if email address or password is somehow wrong, you may actually be prompted confusingly enough for domain, but it happens for sure if POP is not enabled.

------------
    I did these steps, and now I get my Gmail easily on my device, and I have the GMail - 2 new unread - etc thing right on my Today screen. Awesome.
    This is what I did before I made the switch to Exchange. Good solution if just use it for Email
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    I've tried running the Gmail Java app on my 700wx, but apparently it needs the JVM installed. I've tried going to the link Gmail's help files put up for JVM, but it requires some sort of signup and I'm not even sure it'd work.

Heck with it...I'll just use Pocket Outlook, and go into the WAP version of Gmail if I need to manage it any deeper on the Gmail server.
    I have gmail in my pocket outlook. Not sure what you guys are doing wrong. I think there are instructions on the gmail help page.
    They are talking not about Pocket Outlook, but the standalone Gmail application in Java - which is primarily meant for phones, not PDAs, but would theoretically work on the Treo if you have a JVM (Java Virtual Machine) installed.

I have Gmail working fine on Pocket Outlook. The only reason I was remotely interested in this would be to access the Gmail servers' archive, so I could search for ancient messages that are not on the Treo (and I don't keep even the new ones on the Treo, anyway, to save memory).

But as mentioned, I can also do this with the WAP version just fine, so it's not a big deal to me.