Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    From the Press Release:

Palm today announced that an update to the Windows Mobile 6 Professional operating system will be available for Treo 750 smartphone customers around the world.

The Treo 750 is available from carriers in the United States, Europe and Asia and remains a key part of Palm's international expansion strategy to make Treo smartphones available to more customers. For AT&T customers, the update also will facilitate High-speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) capability – allowing faster data-download speeds on 3G/UMTS/HSDPA networks.

"Palm continues to work closely with Microsoft to maximize the benefits of Windows Mobile and to deliver the best mobile experience to Treo customers," said Joe Fabris, director of wireless solutions at Palm, Inc. "Our hallmark Palm experience combined with the benefits of Windows Mobile 6 on the Treo 750 will continue to deliver a great productivity tool for businesses across the country and around the world."

The Treo 750 is a five-band world phone that combines a great phone with email, messaging, web browsing and organization software. Because the Treo 750 is based on GSM radio technology that is widely available around the world, it is a natural fit for multinational businesses or employees who travel internationally. The flexibility of the Treo 750 combined with Windows Mobile 6 will help the Treo 750 continue to build on its momentum in the business market.

Windows Mobile 6 paired with Exchange Server 2007 will deliver email enhancements such as HTML-formatted email messages, the ability to set an out-of-office message remotely, and live links to Microsoft SharePoint documents. Also, the Treo's color touch screen makes line-of-business applications easier than ever and allows users to take full advantage of new mobile versions of Microsoft Office Outlook, Office Word, Office Excel and Office PowerPoint. Microsoft's Direct Push Technology continues to be available out of the box, giving Exchange users fast, automatic wireless updates of their email, calendar items, contacts and tasks without additional third-party software or fees.

"Windows Mobile delivers to the small screen a rich and familiar experience that meets people's work and life needs while on the go—all with a single device," said Chris Hill, group product manager, Microsoft Corp. "We are excited to work closely with Palm to offer a Windows Mobile 6 update to existing Treo 750 users so that they can take advantage of new and enhanced productivity and advanced communication capabilities."

TreoCentral is on location at CTIA in Orlando, and will report more on this tomorrow.

AND We shall be waiting :-)

This is awesome news!
    About damn time!!!! lol
    Ok now that it is confirmed, we still have to wait till its realeased. It should be out by july according to the article.
  4.    #4  
    I did not see any reference to July
    It's very important that Palm does this because it's not like the 700p is in dire need of a firmware update or anything. I'm glad this upgrade was at the top of their priority list.
    So, any idea how those of us who bought the unlocked Vodafone 750v will get this upgrade? My carrier is Rogers who does not offer this phone.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    with this update, will we need to reinstall all of our software on the device?
    you'll need to reinstall as this will flash the ROM. As long as you have a backup you should be fine. Some programs on my Dash that I restored using Sprite Backup when I upgraded to WM6 wouldn't run because they're not yet updated for WM6. For the most part all of my critical apps are working fine.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    you'll need to reinstall as this will flash the ROM. As long as you have a backup you should be fine. Some programs on my Dash that I restored using Sprite Backup when I upgraded to WM6 wouldn't run because they're not yet updated for WM6. For the most part all of my critical apps are working fine.
    When doing a full ROM upgrade, especially one that replaces an entire OS, I personally don't recommend restoring any backup made from WM5. While you may have experienced no issues thusfar with some apps not working, you have no idea as to what system files were overwritten in the restore.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    So... with this news, is anyone planning on flashing their Treo 680 with the 750 rom to see what happens? In theory, it should work because the 680 and 750 share a common hardware platform. Anyone? Shadowmite?
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    When doing a full ROM upgrade, especially one that replaces an entire OS, I personally don't recommend restoring any backup made from WM5. While you may have experienced no issues thusfar with some apps not working, you have no idea as to what system files were overwritten in the restore.
    I hear what you're saying. I'm using a Beta of WM6 on my Dash and probably should have installed each app instead of using Sprite. I haven't had any issues, luckily. I'm going to take your advice and do a hard reset, because who knows what parts of WM5 followed and will give headaches down the road. Thanks for the great advice
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    So... with this news, is anyone planning on flashing their Treo 680 with the 750 rom to see what happens? In theory, it should work because the 680 and 750 share a common hardware platform. Anyone? Shadowmite?
    What? Really? At first I laughed at your post,,,,,,,,,but then realized I dont know every d@m thing in the world......
    I second this,,,,,, not even when doing a minor update such as Sprint 1.08 to Sprint 1.12, did I ever restore from a back up...... Don't let Perry hear about anyone doing this,,,,
    and some said this would not happen...pffft
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    WM7 will be announced by the time Palm make this happen and then our carriers make this available to us. There's no way it will be free either.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    WM7 will be announced by the time Palm make this happen and then our carriers make this available to us. There's no way it will be free either.
    Don't count on Photon being announced anytime soon.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Don't count on Photon being announced anytime soon.
    I dont think he's disagreeing with that...

Surur
    I think he's assuming the WM6 wont be available anytime soon. I think a 3-4 month timeframe is reasonable to assume. No way Photon is announced during that time.
    yea I agree wth JGOLD, I see it coming out sometime in June or July...
    Do you really think that in July Palm will release their version of WM6 and then, as if by magic, it will appear on Vodafone devices? Another 2 months bare minimum for Vodafone testing, another month for packaging, another month for distribution and implementation. Happy Christmas everyone.
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast