Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    I have finally decided to purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver for my Treo 700wx. Is there anything I should look for as I'm not really sure what the differences between one GPS receiver or another would be.

One that you can charge through a car adapter would be nice.

I was was hoping not to spend too much money. I know some can be had off ebay for closer to $60 while others are more expensive. Can someone recommend one? I'm hoping to buy one this weekend.

Thanks I really appreciate it,

~J
    Checkout semsons.com and look for one that uses SiRF III and not SiRF II. The GlobalSat BT-359 and 338 are good.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    whats the difference?
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    does the treo support bluetooth 2.0?
    Size is the difference (the 359 is thinner). The Treo supports both. SiRF III is the latest technology, so no matter what you buy, do not get on that is SiRF II. Do a search here and you will find numerous threads about this.
    Man ya gotta go with the Holux one over at www.buygpsnow.com - I've had a couple of other GPS pucks, and this one is freaking AWEsome. Tiny, holds a charge forever, works INDOORS (yes - that's right, I said INDOORS). Like $89 or so. I mean this thing is tiny - about the size of a pack of gum - and I don't mean the PlenTpak - I mean the standard 5 piece pack.

Check it out. Works great with Google Maps, Windows Live, and even the pay-for services like TeleNav. It rocks.

Holux.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    is there any difference between the Holux and the GlobalSat BT-359 besides size?

Since it will be syncing with my 700wx, I'm not sure feature wise what I would be looking for as far as the difference between both of them.

Also is there anything else I'd need to sync it with the phone besides the the bluetooth GPS receiver and the program(probably TomTom or Telenav)?

Thanks,

~J
    I think, for the most part, the SiRF III and the MTK chipset are equally good. I have the Holux GPSlim (SiRF III) and the iBlue 737 (MTK), both purchased through buygpsnow.com's ebay store--and at a considerable discount from their website prices. The iBlue is more sensitive, but the Holux is much smaller. Either one of these you'll be happy with (but these are also the only 2 I have any experience with). Grab TomTom 6 as well, and you're set with an excellent GPS solution.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    So it is really between the chipsets, there is no real difference between the different models besides that?

Also, does the Treo 700wx support Bluetooth 2.0? For some reason I was thinking it only supports 1.1 but I could be wrong.

I guess I'm debating between the Holux GPSlim, iBlue 737 and Globosat 359.

~J
    I bought the garmin mobile 10 with software for the treo 700wx for $160 at amazon.com and works great. At first I had to do a hard reset and restore with Sprite, and now it works excellent.
    You'll likely be happy with any of those.

My first unit was the GPSlim. I was amazed with its size. Battery life is good, but short compared to others. The iBlue, on the other hand, while larger, has great battery life and a user-replaceable battery. In fact, I have mistakenly left my iBlue on in my car for over a week with plenty juice to spare (nice that it has an auto power-save feature). And while I really like the size of the GPSlim, I'm rarely in a situation where the size matters (though that's the unit I take with me when I travel via air). I know someone said they get a signal indoors, but my GPSlim can't. I think it's size makes it a little less sensitive than the iBlue...

Re: Bluetooth 2.0--No, I believe the w/wx is Bluetooth 1.2.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NBAJ2K View Post
    does the treo support bluetooth 2.0?
    According to Phonescoop, the 700wx
    Supported Profiles: HSP, HFP, OPP
    version 1.2
    whats the best program for gps? someone mentioned being able to use google maps with a gps receiver....

i dont know if it supports the ability to say "find nearby gas stations" etc?

the benefit is it has low impact (its all online right?)
    i Have the bt359 and iguidance and worked great with my 700w on a trip to canada walking down the streets. bought from semsons and they helped me configure over the phone.