Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Are any of you guys able to do a remote backup directly to your PC using Sprite? I've configured everything correctly but when I test the networking connection under Sprite's networking options, I get a message that says "Failed to find the host address. This means that you have given an incorrect host name or if you are using the "Via ActiveSync" option the device may not be docked correctly." I am not using the Via ActiveSync option and my host name is correct. Anyone having success with this? If so, any ideas what else I can try?
    I did this once long time ago when I used my iPaq H5555. I believe I had to create a host file on the PPC. Try PocketPing or vxUtil to see if you can ping your PC's host name from your Treo. If not, you can try using PocketHosts on your Treo to create a host file.

You seem knowledgeable, but for those who are not, a host file is a file containing a database of IP addresses that are associated with their host names.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 03/25/2007 at 01:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    I did this once long time ago when I used my iPaq H5555. I believe I had to create a host file on the PPC. Try PocketPing or vxUtil to see if you can ping your PC's host name from your Treo. If not, you can try using PocketHosts on your Treo to create a host file.

You seem knowledgeable, but for those who are not, a host file is a file containing a database of IP addresses that are associated with their host names.
    Are you sure this even needs to be done? Looking at the Sprite help files, I don't see any reference to creating a hostfile. It should be as easy as entering the hostname and port (assuming that port is open and accessible). I really want to get this working because it's a much better way of insuring you have a current backup.
    Hostnames never really change, unlike IP addresses.

It's been over 3 years since I've used my iPaq H5555, I can't really be sure, but it wouldn't hurt. A host file is basically the hostname and the IP address, not port.

Where you able to ping your PC by hostname from your Treo?
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Hostnames never really change, unlike IP addresses.

It's been over 3 years since I've used my iPaq H5555, I can't really be sure, but it wouldn't hurt. A host file is basically the hostname and the IP address, not port.

Where you able to ping your PC by hostname from your Treo?

Unfortunately, I'm unable to do anything with my Treo right now as it is completely dead! I'm not sure if it's the battery (don't have a spare to try) or if it's the Treo itself, but I can't even get it to power on. To add insult to injury, I apparently don't have any warranty since I bought it on ebay and it was briefly activated on the seller's account (I guess the warranty only applies to the original owner).

If it turns out to be the Treo, I'm going to have to go through insurance. I don't know if I should tell them I lost it or just be honest and tell them that it's dead. I'm worried that they're going to tell me that I have to get a warranty replacement through Verizon since the phone is so new (less than 30 days old).
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    In case anyone is interested, I ended up going to one of my local Verizon stores and they swapped out the faulty phone for brand-new one with no problems. Did a restore from a recent backup and I'm up and running.

Anyway, as far as the Sprite issue goes I was under the impression that remote backups could be done from anywhere. Apparently, your phone needs to be on the same network as your PC. I was trying to configure things so that I could do a backup if I was on vacation or something and my computer was at home (basically, send a backup to my home computer over the internet). I don't know if this is even possible (with Sprite or any other program), but if anyone has any ideas please chime in.
    It doesn't have to be on the same network, but your device needs to know where to connect to and what route to take. If you're using your computer, then you may need to open a port on your firewall and/or router to enable it to be seen throughout the internet. It would be a bit tricky, but it could be done.

You can also back it up on your device and sign up for those online storage sites and just copy the backup file on there.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    It doesn't have to be on the same network, but your device needs to know where to connect to and what route to take. If you're using your computer, then you may need to open a port on your firewall and/or router to enable it to be seen throughout the internet. It would be a bit tricky, but it could be done.
    That's what I thought too but tech support indicated that they need to be on the same network. I opened up the proper ports, added all the necessary programs to my firewall's exception list, etc. but it still doesn't work. It sees my PC but it says that it can't connect to the Sprite Backup Agent on the PC. I've confirmed that the Backup Agent and my Treo are trying to communicate on the same port (5533) and the Agent is running so I can't imagine what the problem is other than it just doesn't work that way.
    I think with that Networking enabled, you can only backup to PC through Active Sync, or a local area network via WIFI or BlueTooth. It is not supposed to backup over the Internet.
    As long as the Treo knows where the computer is and has access to it, it doesn't matter whether it's in the same house or all the way in the other side of the world.

It's just going through internet, you have to deal with multiple routers, firewalls, etc. so you know to know what to do. I'm sure it can be done.
    Last edited by crazie.eddie; 04/02/2007 at 10:10 PM.