Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1.    #101  
    Haha!!! I can't believe I actually got this working.... it is utterly demented

Well hannip has been cracking the whip as of late, (as he should) so I've been fixing bugs rather working on anything new.

I took a break last night to work on a new plugin, it's called "Spy Cam". So what does it do? You schedule a time like any other event, and then select how many minutes of video you want and presto, you have your own real-life Tivo. But wait, that's not the interesting part. Starting up the camera app, selecting video, tweaking the video length is good for sure, but not all that tough. Well, I added a "stealth mode" for you James Bond or Parco P.I. types, and when the plugin fires, the phone never even turns on (nothing happens, no display, no keyboard lights, nada), it just quietly records. As a bonus, if you have LEDup installed, you can choose to blink the LED while it is recording so you have some indicator, and it turns it back off when the recording is done.

Let me tell you, this was a bear to figure out. Nothing seems to work correctly when the display is off. IdleTimerReset won't keep it from suspending. Changing the timeouts didn't keep it from suspending. Calling certain window functions after a certain time seemed to put it in suspend mode!? And the camera driver wouldn't work while the display is off.

After a lot of trial & error, I found the magic combination Right now there is one catch, and for you hackers out there maybe you can help... In stealth mode, I can't get any audio recorded. I assume I just need to know the right device driver string to add to the POWER state definitions, but don't know what that is. Anyone have any clues?
    hehe, ok ok, you must tell. What inspired you to write this plugin?
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    hehe, ok ok, you must tell. What inspired you to write this plugin?
    Hah, I'll never tell...

Although lately I've been thinking of more devious uses for your Treo.

I've thought about doing a "Phoney Call" plugin that fakes out a phone call to yourself at the scheduled time. i.e. it brings up the call active screen and rings the phone until you hit a certain key. For those bad dates when you just need an excuse to leave...
    lol, that's a good one to have!

Oh, that reminds me. It would be cool if Tweakster took parameters to start specific components. That way we could have shortcuts to skip past the main menu. One less step to get to where you want to go.

I'm thinking you'll eventually want to package this app up in a cab install with convenience icons that can take you directly to Tweaks, Probes, Profiles and Scheduling.
  5.    #105  
    lol, that's a good one to have!

Oh, that reminds me. It would be cool if Tweakster took parameters to start specific components. That way we could have shortcuts to skip past the main menu. One less step to get to where you want to go.

I'm thinking you'll eventually want to package this app up in a cab install with convenience icons that can take you directly to Tweaks, Probes, Profiles and Scheduling.
    Excellent suggestions hannip, as usual your insights are spot on

Yeah, I think right now it's too complex for the average user. It started out simple and it grew into this monolithic thing which should be broken out. And not making any excuses, but it's tough to create a decent UI with the limited dialogs. Shortcuts, icons, and an installer could definitely help with that.

I might need a little help with the cab install and icons from someone though

I'm thinking of adding an option under Profiles that is "Create Shortcuts", which will create shortcuts for each profile defined. That way, a user can simple click on a shortcut under "Programs" to activate that profile.
    Icons per profile is another great idea! I can help with the cab install. Just let me know when you think it is ready for it.
    Give me some icon example And I will build if needed
    I think fearthefox is working on a Tweakster icon for me. I had ask for a wrench and screwdriver icon like what LEDUp has with a frame of an analog stopwatch/clock around it. A circle with inward tickmarks and hands would work.

Looks like we'll need more now for Tweaks, Probes, Profiles and Scheduling and then for individual profiles a daytime and evening icon.

Edit: I guess just a general profile icon is needed. The names will set them apart.
    Last edited by hannip; 04/04/2007 at 07:18 PM.
    Give me ideas and let me know If I can help.It can be a pic of an icon and I can make changes and convert.
    The Podcast playlist thread has alot a great info on a plugin I coverted about 30 min ago.
  11.    #111  
    Hannip, slingbox, thanks! I can definitely feel that MortScript brotherly love tonight

Whatever hannip asked for sounds good, I ain't picky.
    Zbop:

I am very impressed with your coding skills and there is a somewhat knotty issue I think you might be able to help solve for many people. I just don't know if this can be done, but I bet you know!

In a nutshell, there is some kind of incompatibility between some/many minisd cards and the Treo ppc devices (700W, 700WX and 750). When these devices come out of sleep mode, they wake up and the minisd card is no longer recognized by the OS. A soft reset or physically ejecting and reloading the minisd card will make the card show up again.

Do you think it would be possible for your script to also do something like this: after an OS level wake event check to see if a minisd card is found and if it is not found then the script might kick off the OS level process of reloading the card (without the user having to physically remove it)? If it were possible to do this then the next thing which would be very nice to have is the ability to turn-off the "memory card inserted" sound which occurs whenever the OS finds a new minisd card has been loaded. The net result would be that the card would be "reloaded" automatically by the script and thereby would solve the problems many of us are having . . .

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by abs99 View Post
    Zbop:

I am very impressed with your coding skills and there is a somewhat knotty issue I think you might be able to help solve for many people. I just don't know if this can be done, but I bet you know!

In a nutshell, there is some kind of incompatibility between some/many minisd cards and the Treo ppc devices (700W, 700WX and 750). When these devices come out of sleep mode, they wake up and the minisd card is no longer recognized by the OS. A soft reset or physically ejecting and reloading the minisd card will make the card show up again.

Do you think it would be possible for your script to also do something like this: after an OS level wake event check to see if a minisd card is found and if it is not found then the script might kick off the OS level process of reloading the card (without the user having to physically remove it)? If it were possible to do this then the next thing which would be very nice to have is the ability to turn-off the "memory card inserted" sound which occurs whenever the OS finds a new minisd card has been loaded. The net result would be that the card would be "reloaded" automatically by the script and thereby would solve the problems many of us are having . . .

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
    Hi Andrew,
    Hmmm... sounds like a knotty/naughty problem alright. I'm guessing you have a 750, it seems like they have a number of issues.

It may be possible, but it's probably beyond the scope that MortScript can handle.

Some things that might work are:
    - tweaking the power states for the disk driver
    - trying to remount the device in a program (not via MortScript)
    - indirectly mounting it via another program (i.e. WM5torage)

All of which are pretty gross workarounds, how often does this happen and how widespread is the problem? From the little searching I did, it sounds as if different memory cards have different results and if so, realistically it is probably the easiest way to fix this until Palm steps up.

If I could reproduce the problem, or if there was an easy way to refresh or remount the storage card, I'd give it a shot. Services can be manipulated, but device drivers are a little tougher and I'm not familiar enough with the Storage Manager API's to code something up quickly. Sorry I can't be of more help...

Z.

P.S. You might want to try WM5torage and try activating it, and deactivating it (after the storage is no longer recognized) and see if that fixes the problem. If so, at least there's hope of creating a solution without getting a driver fix.
    Zbop:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have a 750 and I am experiencing the problem. The results of your research are also correct - some cards are more susceptible to the problem than others AND the general consensus is that this is an issue which Palm has to resolve. I have spent a fair amount of time researching and testing possible registry hacks to see if any would resolve the issue and none did (tweaking power states for example). Others have tried to remount the device or even keeping file handles open through the power mode cycling and this also does not work (I think most were trying this with Resco Explorer).

Support for the various minisd cards is truly hit or miss to the extent that a particular brand and model may or may not work depending upon the operating characteristics of that specific card. I have a 4GB minisd card (no name from E-Bay) which suffers from the problem. Others have the same card and no issues. So, I think this is fairly widespread. The good news is that Palm has committed to making WM6 OS available for the 750 yet nobody knows if they will resolve this issue or not (hopefully yes).

In the meantime, I am intrigued by your idea of using WM5torage. I will download this utility and see if I can use it to force a remount after the card is lost. I will report back my findings.

Thank you!
    Zbop:

Okay, I just finished some preliminary testing with WM5torage. I don't think this is going to solve the problem. Here are my results:

Scenario 1:

WM5Torage installed but not enabled
    Cycle sleep mode on phone
    Minisd card lost

Scenario 2:

Minisd card lost
    Try to mount minisd card with WM5torage but card is not shown in list - no way to mount

Scenario 3:

Card is mounted
    WM5Torage installed and activated for minisd card
    Minisd card is lost by OS - not show in file explorer
    WM5torage still shows card in list
    WM5torage allows deactivate for minisd card
    Minisd card still does not show in file explorer
    Attempt to reactivate WM5torage for minisd card and get error message that WM5torage is unable to access card. This is the error text - "Can't switch to Mass Storage USB driver, error 1f. Maybe some running programs have files open on storage card, preventing direct access. Try to close all running programs."

So, I guess the issue is truly an OS, firmware or hardware level problem.

Thanks again.
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by abs99 View Post
    Zbop:

Okay, I just finished some preliminary testing with WM5torage. I don't think this is going to solve the problem. Here are my results:

Scenario 1:

Minisd card lost

Scenario 2:

Minisd card lost
    Try to mount minisd card with WM5torage but card is not shown in list - no way to mount

Scenario 3:

Card is mounted
    WM5Torage installed and activated for minisd card
    Minisd card is lost by OS - not show in file explorer
    WM5torage still shows card in list
    WM5torage allows deactivate for minisd card
    Minisd card still does not show in file explorer
    Attempt to reactivate WM5torage for minisd card and get error message that WM5torage is unable to access card. This is the error text - "Can't switch to Mass Storage USB driver, error 1f. Maybe some running programs have files open on storage card, preventing direct access. Try to close all running programs."

So, I guess the issue is truly an OS, firmware or hardware level problem.

Thanks again.
    Well, I don't know if that definitely proves it, but it certainly is another nail in the coffin

Just out of curiousity, what are you PnPUnloadDelay values in the registry? I don't think they can be changed there, but someone with enough skills, time and patience could dump the rom and try to hack fsdmgr.dll to change those values.
    Everything now works using the alpha 11 build.

However during my tests I found a bug in profile edit. If you have a script set to run in a profile and you go into edit to change some other values and save; the path to the script is lost so the script can't be found when the profile is loaded.

BTW zbop, this app has been very useful and just want to thank you again for making it available. How's your porting project going?
    Last edited by hannip; 04/24/2007 at 07:01 PM.
  18.    #118  
    Most everything now works using the alpha 11 build. There is one problem left that I'm seeing. When I run the clockradio plugin it enters suspend and never comes out. If I hit the red button it wakes up and starts the plugin fine. Must be some issue with the code that disables keylock me thinks.

Also I found a bug in profile edit. If you have a script set to run in a profile and you go into edit to change some other values and save; the path to the script is lost so the script can't be found when the profile is loaded.

BTW zbop, this app has been very useful and just want to thank you again for making it available. How's your porting project going?
    Hey hannip, battered and bruised but still kickin eh?

Wow, still not working one hundred percent huh? Yeah, there was some hairy stuff there, so it doesn't surprise me.

I'll take a look into the "lost path" bug. Porting? muhhahhaha!! I have the technical equivalent of A.D.D. I start on one thing and then get sidetracked on learning something new. I did the custom plugin to get my feet wet first and haven't really started porting this.

I'm still torn whether to spend more effort on this. Almost 350 downloads/views on the zip file, but no comments good or bad. Either it's working, or people just don't know what to do with it. Once I'm done with the today plugin thing, I'll circle back and probably rip out the tweaks, make a few minor changes to the profiles/scheduling, put together a cab installer and stick a fork in it. I'd be in more of a rush if there were outstanding bugs or people were waiting on features, but that ain't the case.
    hehe, yeah, I'm like the bad friend that you can't get rid of. lol

I can pretty much guarantee that if you cabbed this up you would start getting bug reports and feature requests. It's been that way for all of our apps. Once you make it super easy for anyone to install they will come.

No rush on the fixes, I think the today plugin is way higher priority.
    I updated my post on a11 above. The clockradio issue I saw was actually working as designed. I forgot that it is coded to start up 15 seconds after power off and I was just being impatient.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast