Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey there,

I just got a Sprint Treo 700wx two days ago. First time Pocket PC user here. If I had hours and hours of time, I would love to scour the internet for solutions to the questions I have about the device. As it is, I have to actually get things done.

Don’t get me wrong – I am excited about the device and all it can do. But I simply do not have the time right now to research these questions. I will Paypal $5 to the person who can best answer the issues below.

My questions are:

1. How do I remove icons/programs from the programs section? For example, I don’t want or need this Goodlink ****, nor do I want “On Demand” – how in the heck do I rid my device of these icons? Not to mention other things I more than likely will not use such as the Terminal Services and PDF Viewer programs.

2. On the subject of icons – is there a way to make them smaller or make them text only? If I wanted big icons I would own a Mac and would be saving my money for an IPhone – I’m a Windows guy. The first thing I do in any Windows OS is change the file view to “detail.” Is this possible on Windows Mobile?

3. Tweaking – I downloaded the recommended PHM RegEditor – It does not appear as a program on my 700wx although it does install this C:\Program Files\PHM\PHM Registry Editor on my laptop – I’ve tried reinstalling the s/w over and over again and it will not appear on my device – suggestions?

4. On the subject of installing s/w – I also installed Microsoft Voice Command. The s/w is there – I see it in the Program Files dir. However, it is not in the Programs window. Um… how do I start this s/w and why is it not in the Progam Files?

5. I installed an IBM midlet emulator or something like that to run Gmail mobile. To start Gmail I have to navigate to the emulator dir and start the emulator then start Gmail. Is there a way to make a short cut to this? An easier way to do this?

6. When my Treo 700wx is connected to my laptop AC is constantly reconnecting with the accompanying noises and vibrations and such – do I have a loose USB connection or something? Or is this the nature of the device? It is very annoying.

7. Twice in the last two days my Treo 700wx has just shut down for no reason. I had to remove the battery to be able to turn it back on. Is this typical?

Thanks for any help with these questions. Best answers get $5 via PayPal.
    You must have not gotten allot of replies through forums before, which is why you offer. No need to pay anyone. Forums are for discussions, so not really necessary to offer money. So I will try to answer some for you, no need to offer any money.

Unfortunately, I use Resco Explorer, since it has some nice features, so I'm not really sure if the built in file explorer would help.

1. Go to \Windows\Start Menu and \Windows\Start Menu\Programs. You will see allot of icons there. Delete the ones you don't want

2. There are some apps you can use for the today screen to launch apps. Everyone has their favorites. Unfortunately, I don't use any, so I can't help you there.

3. Did you perform an Activesync? All PocketPC apps that install on the PC require you to connect it via AS, so it can install the program on your device.

4. Try looking in the Settings screen, under the Personal tab.

5. It should have already created a short cut, but if you use Resco explorer, just select and hold the cursor on the app, then you should have an option to create a shortcut. Copy and move that short cut to the folders in #1 above.

6. If it's a wired connection, then it does sound like a loose connection.

7. Your device probably went on standby or something. Did you press the Red End key and then the center button of that D pad? Otherwise, if you can't turn it on, it could be a bad device.
    For 1 go to the Start Menu sub-folder in the Windows Folder you should see icons to delete there.

For Number 2 I do not think you can change it to detail with WMl. However, there maybe a third party software to allow you to do it, but I am not sure if there is one out there.

For 5 have you tired Opera Mini or Opera Mobile that might be easier to use than a emulator. Where do you want the icon in the start up item? If so put a copy of the file from where you have it to Start Menu sub-folder in the Windows Folder. Once that is done go to setting and click menu you should be able to see it there.

For number 7 I guess that depends on the phone it self. Some people may experience it and some may not. Have you tried the software update from sprint on the palm site?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    You must have not gotten allot of replies through forums before, which is why you offer. No need to pay anyone. Forums are for discussions, so not really necessary to offer money. So I will try to answer some for you, no need to offer any money.

Unfortunately, I use Resco Explorer, since it has some nice features, so I'm not really sure if the built in file explorer would help.

1. Go to \Windows\Start Menu and \Windows\Start Menu\Programs. You will see allot of icons there. Delete the ones you don't want

2. There are some apps you can use for the today screen to launch apps. Everyone has their favorites. Unfortunately, I don't use any, so I can't help you there.

3. Did you perform an Activesync? All PocketPC apps that install on the PC require you to connect it via AS, so it can install the program on your device.

4. Try looking in the Settings screen, under the Personal tab.

5. It should have already created a short cut, but if you use Resco explorer, just select and hold the cursor on the app, then you should have an option to create a shortcut. Copy and move that short cut to the folders in #1 above.

6. If it's a wired connection, then it does sound like a loose connection.

7. Your device probably went on standby or something. Did you press the Red End key and then the center button of that D pad? Otherwise, if you can't turn it on, it could be a bad device.
    Actually, I have not posted these questions before. I am just finding out recently (in many different areas) that you getter faster and better answers when you offer $$$

I installed Resco - thanks! - great app! This answers my problem of wanting to mod the registry. However, I cannot Goodlink or On Demand - I get a message about they being in ROM and cannot be deleted.

Which leads me to my next questions - what does one do to completely wipe the device and install a clean copy of WM5? Where do I get a copy of this OS?

Thank you.
    No angling for $5, but your device may be disconnecting while connected to your laptop due to power issues. Some USB ports shut down automatically if the device connected uses too much current. Try turning down the screen brightness to low and see if it cures your problem.

Surur
    here's how to link to a specific midlet:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...25&postcount=2
    best answer gets five bux? So you're going to have everyone answer your questions and give the answer that best suits you five bux? People respond quicker when you offer $$$ but five bux? HA!

Anyway, here's your best answer and you can keep your $$$.

1. Do a device reset and start fresh sound like you have some corruption
    2. Get rid of GoodStink (IMO)
    3. Use POutlook to pop your Gmail, forget about using a java app

why are you using GoodStink? I used to have that on my Treo and had problems, I did a device reset and kept GoodStink off and my Treo runs MUCH better now.

HOWTO Device Reset
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant007 View Post
    best answer gets five bux? So you're going to have everyone answer your questions and give the answer that best suits you five bux? People respond quicker when you offer $$$ but five bux? HA!

Anyway, here's your best answer and you can keep your $$$.

1. Do a device reset and start fresh sound like you have some corruption
    2. Get rid of GoodStink (IMO)
    3. Use POutlook to pop your Gmail, forget about using a java app

why are you using GoodStink? I used to have that on my Treo and had problems, I did a device reset and kept GoodStink off and my Treo runs MUCH better now.

HOWTO Device Reset
    I appreciate your response. However, just did a hard reset and formatted my Treo - the Goodlink crap is still there as is the On Demand - they must be built in somehow.

Thanks.
    Last edited by brickphone; 03/24/2007 at 08:33 PM.
    $5 can be made faster at McDonalds, filling out the application included.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ View Post
    $5 can be made faster at McDonalds, filling out the application included.
    *yawn* good one my friend... i sure am glad you took a few minutes to post this and help the forum out.
    It's not like a PC where you can format and install the OS again. When you perform a hard reset, all the common apps are applied again, as if you just took it out of the box. Practically all those apps are in ROM, so you cannot uninstall Goodlink or anything like that.
    There is a download available on the palm website called Device Reset Application that may help remove the undesired programs, I am not sure.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...reo700wxsprint
    Quote Originally Posted by brickphone View Post
    *yawn* good one my friend... i sure am glad you took a few minutes to post this and help the forum out.
    Dude, all these topics have been covered at nauseam. Need a real insentive.
    You say you did a hard reset on your phone and GoodLink is still there? Are you sure it's not GET GOODLINK?
    As mentioned before, when you do a hardreset on a Treo, it will "format" and delete anything you added to the phone, taking it back to just-out-of-the-box condition (software wise that is)
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ View Post
    Dude, all these topics have been covered at nauseam. Need a real insentive.
    Yah bro... typical problem with *any* forum... forums crappy search function just brings up piles and piles of crap that has nothing to do with the answer you seek. So people answer the same questions over and over again.

In regards to offering a little cash for answers - not sure what rock you've been living under but thanks to the internet I get a freakin' ton of work done for just pennies on the dollar from people all over the world. I have high school kids designing logos for me, Romanians writing articles for me, and Indians writing code for me - all for far cheaper than I could get it done locally. It's a win-win. Maybe $5 doesn't seem like a lot to you but for others...

Having said that, if i want to offer a few bucks for some quick answers why are you wasting your time (and looking like a fool) but making stupid comments about McDonalds applications and "insentives (sic)? Huh?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant007 View Post
    You say you did a hard reset on your phone and GoodLink is still there? Are you sure it's not GET GOODLINK?
    As mentioned before, when you do a hardreset on a Treo, it will "format" and delete anything you added to the phone, taking it back to just-out-of-the-box condition (software wise that is)
    Hey, thanks for the reply - yah, it is the Get Goodlink icon. Maybe I am a bit picky about my devices but I don't even want to *see* an icon for a program or service I do not use. So, yes, after doing a hard reset, it is still there. Maybe a regedit is in order.

On a better note, I figured out how to use the Voice Command, have made several registry tweaks, and am using Poutlook for 5 different email accounts. I sincerely thank everyone that tried to help.

So far, I am loving the Treo and can't believe I've gone this long without having one!
    Last edited by brickphone; 03/25/2007 at 05:43 PM.
    Yah bro... typical problem with *any* forum... forums crappy search function just brings up piles and piles of crap that has nothing to do with the answer you seek. So people answer the same questions over and over again.
    common excuse. the search tool here is fine. use the advanced function and think about your keywords. it works

In regards to offering a little cash for answers - not sure what rock you've been living under but thanks to the internet I get a freakin' ton of work done for just pennies on the dollar from people all over the world. I have high school kids designing logos for me, Romanians writing articles for me, and Indians writing code for me - all for far cheaper than I could get it done locally. It's a win-win. Maybe $5 doesn't seem like a lot to you but for others...
    the fact that that no one offers cash here should have been an indicator to you. the advice here is free, plentyful and good natured. It's not unusual to see members actually create free programs for each other that they could very easilly and rightfully charge for.

$5 is paltry for people here considering the fact that most spent $200-$400 for their phones and $30-$60/month in service.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    the fact that that no one offers cash here should have been an indicator to you.
    Forgive me - I was under the impression that cash talks. Never again will I insult the forum with my foooolish stupid money.

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    $5 is paltry for people here considering the fact that most spent $200-$400 for their phones and $30-$60/month in service.
    You're right... I probably should back to hanging out at the forums where the poor people are. So sorry to offend you richie riches!

(Incidentally, I know a few people in Asian countries - their phones are such status symbols to them that they will own a phone that costs the equivalent of 5 or 6 months rent just for the sake of impression. Before I realized this one time I went back to a woman's apartment. I thought it would be a plush condo or something because she had a really nice Lenovo smartphone (this was 2 years ago). Not too mention several pairs of authentic designer sunglasses. It ended up being a depressing one-room, cinder-block studio with cardboard furniture and roaches galore. Goes to show owning an expensive phone does not necessarily mean a person is wealthy.)
    Forgive me - I was under the impression that cash talks. Never again will I insult the forum with my foooolish stupid money.

You're right... I probably should back to hanging out at the forums where the poor people are. So sorry to offend you richie riches!

(Incidentally, I know a few people in Asian countries - their phones are such status symbols to them that they will own a phone that costs the equivalent of 5 or 6 months rent just for the sake of impression. Before I realized this one time I went back to a woman's apartment. I thought it would be a plush condo or something because she had a really nice Lenovo smartphone (this was 2 years ago). Not too mention several pairs of authentic designer sunglasses. It ended up being a depressing one-room, cinder-block studio with cardboard furniture and roaches galore. Goes to show owning an expensive phone does not necessarily mean a person is wealthy.)
    relax. no one said anything about being wealthy. My point was that anyone that's bought this phone probably doesn't need $5 in exchange for offering some assistance.

some people find the offering of cash unneccessary. I never see it in any of the forums that I visit. Even ppc geeks has a sticky thread on the subject. Why not just ask your question first and see what happens. Does money talk? not always and often the mere offering of it for preferential treatment is insulting. you're not offering a tip, you're saying, hey, I don't think anyone will help me unless I give up $5. that's insulting.

just my .02
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Did anyone else get a phone with a user manual?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast