1.    #1  
    I am trying to copy the windows folder for a little project i'm doing. I need to compare a before and after.

when I use resco or total commander I get many errors like cannot overwrite, connot copy, ect. depending on what app I was using. I found total commander got a little farther before it found it's first problem. everytime I selected overwrite it still would come back with a "can't do it" message. so I just started selecting "skip". once I was finished I noticed that alot (25%) of the files couldn't/didnt get copied.

what is the best and most complete way of copying stuff like this?

thanks, cody
    I suspect the OS is locking these files and am not sure if its possible to unlock them.

Mortscript can copy files. Have you tried running a script to xcopy the files?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    You can't copy rom files using normal file utilities and the majority of the files in \Windows are rom files.
    try zipping the folder?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    You could always (in brief):

Get tools: http://www.xs4all.nl/~itsme/projects/xda/tools.html
    use application 'pdir' from the tools on your PC:
    Code:
    pdir.exe  \Windows >WindowsBefore.txt
    ...Do your thang...
    Code:
    pdir.exe  \Windows >WindowsAfter.txt
    Then use your favorite software to compare the two text files on your PC, WindowsBefore.txt & WindowsAfter.txt, I like 'beyond compare', but 'ExamDiff' & WinDiff are free.
    What about that ROM dump to SD card program that helped hannip get the verizon wx bt stack working? Would that enable cody to get all the files in \windows?
    Kind of along this subject.....I cannot get my PC to show the windows folder. I am running Windoes XP home, and even when I go to controll panel, folders, and check 'show hidden folders' It resets itself, and will not show the folder. Any suggestions? I am trying to put a battery icon removal (replaces it with a volume icon) app in it, so any help would be appreciated.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    You can't copy rom files using normal file utilities and the majority of the files in \Windows are rom files.
    well what do YOU use then?

thanks everyone for your replies, cody
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    You could always (in brief):

Get tools: http://www.xs4all.nl/~itsme/projects/xda/tools.html
    use application 'pdir' from the tools on your PC:
    Code:
    pdir.exe  \Windows >WindowsBefore.txt
    ...Do your thang...
    Code:
    pdir.exe  \Windows >WindowsAfter.txt
    Then use your favorite software to compare the two text files on your PC, WindowsBefore.txt & WindowsAfter.txt, I like 'beyond compare', but 'ExamDiff' & WinDiff are free.
    looks like xda is having problems. links are down and search didn't work. this actually sounded good.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    well what do YOU use then?

thanks everyone for your replies, cody
    For a 700wx I use buzz_lightyear's grab_it tool to dump the rom to my sd card and use mamaich's prepare_imgfs and viewimgfs tools to extract the files from the dump.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=238945
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=249836

What exactly are you trying to compare? Which files exist in each case? Sizes and timestamps? If you don't need the files themselves then do as g-funkster suggested and use itsme's pdir tool.
    Last edited by hannip; 03/23/2007 at 06:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    there are several ways to do this.

1. you could boot from a Windows PE (WinPE) disk and simply copy the win folder without any restrictions

2. or you could boot in linux live cd such as ubuntu