Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about getting an unlocked Cingular 750 and using it on Tmobile. I am interested in anyone who has done just that, and what pitfalls, if any, that they had. I really prefer the WM system to the Palm which is why I'm taking this route. Tmobile just doesn't have a Pocket PC that works for me. Any input appreciated.

i was an avid user of the treo 650, but began to dislike the crappy looking palm os software. i went to tmobile from sprint because they had my faves which saved a lot of money and they had that new pearl. i got the pearl and liked it alot but it wasn't anything great more than just superior email interface.

after i saw the treo 750 with wm5, i was in love, i knew that that is what i really really wanted. i bought a cingular treo 750 and unlocked it myself. i had to configure the APN to wap.voicestream.com so that it can use Tmobiles internet connection. other than that small alteration, i've loved this device. by far the best smartphone out. you'll be VERY happy with it!
    From what I've heard, the Treo 750 on Cingular doesn't work with BlackBerry Connect on Cingular, although your performance may be different on Cingular. For sure, BlackBerry Connect works on the 750v for Voda.

Furthermore, you won't be able to access 3G (UMTS, HSDPA) on TMobile. Even after TMobile USA rolls out its new 3G network, the Treo won't be able to support the 1700 band so it will remain perpetually incompatible on TMobile's higher speed networks. It will, however, continue to be compatible with EDGE and GPRS data speeds on any network, with proper configuration.
    Also, if you have a data plan on TMobile with Hotspot access and want to use the Hotspots, you will need to purchase a separate miniSD WiFi card for that.
    also, if you switch to tmobile, there is a way to get unlimited data (emails/internet) for $5.99, just pm me and i can help you set up some proxy servers for this, rather than paying $29.95 a month
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeas750 View Post
    also, if you switch to tmobile, there is a way to get unlimited data (emails/internet) for $5.99, just pm me and i can help you set up some proxy servers for this, rather than paying $29.95 a month
    Yeah, that is a great deal. I have Tmobile now using a 680 and the 5.99 TZones plan, but really want a WM platform other than the ones they offer. The DASH is okay but I want touch screen. So until the get their act together, looks like an unlocked one is the only way to go.

I have a European 750 (mobileplanet.com) on T-Mobile USA for roamong purposes. (I am in Bahrain now. Way cool.) The 750 works fine though I'm going to get the hint on how to use the 5.99 plan for data.

So I don't expect you will have a prob with your unlocked Cingy 750. However, I prefer the aesthetics of the Palm OS over Windows. It's just the full-time instant push from Exchange makes the WM device (I use a Sprint 700wx at home) irresistable. I wish the Palm OS had the equivalent of ActiveSync.
    Palm OS does have Active Sync now. They released an update that makes Active Sync work the same way it does on WM devices, rather than the old way where it had to poll. In other words, you can get Push Email on the 650, 680 and 700p.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1132-1.htm
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose View Post
    Palm OS does have Active Sync now. They released an update that makes Active Sync work the same way it does on WM devices, rather than the old way where it had to poll. In other words, you can get Push Email on the 650, 680 and 700p.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1132-1.htm
    While you can sync with Outlook, you still can't install any programs from a Vista based platform (which I have). QuickInstall won't work with it, and they only offer a few burdensome work arounds to install new programs. I do prefer the Windows environment over the Palm, but both have their good and bad points.

I have a Treo 750, that I bought off Ebay, I have T-mobile so I had to unlock it. I have had it since February and it just died.

Mind you, I have had nothing but trouble since I got the darn thing. Palm and T-mobile treat you like you have a disease, because you unlocked it, no one wants to support the phone.

Anyway, the screened locked up this morning and I called Palm, they say the warranty is voided since I unlocked it and they won't repair or replace the phone unless I pay them $199 with shipping!

I spoke with 2 different operators and got 2 completely different stories. One operator told me unlocking the phone was completely illegal.

They act like I am a criminal or stole the darn thing...geez.

So now, I am stuck with a stupid 750 that doesn't work, because I am not paying Palm, $200 to repair it. I would rather suck up the $425 I paid for the phone!

I switching!
    Unlocking a phone does not void the warranty. The rep that you were tlkaing to was misinformed.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsarjeant View Post
    I have a Treo 750, that I bought off Ebay, I have T-mobile so I had to unlock it. I have had it since February and it just died.

Mind you, I have had nothing but trouble since I got the darn thing. Palm and T-mobile treat you like you have a disease, because you unlocked it, no one wants to support the phone.

Anyway, the screened locked up this morning and I called Palm, they say the warranty is voided since I unlocked it and they won't repair or replace the phone unless I pay them $199 with shipping!

I spoke with 2 different operators and got 2 completely different stories. One operator told me unlocking the phone was completely illegal.

They act like I am a criminal or stole the darn thing...geez.

So now, I am stuck with a stupid 750 that doesn't work, because I am not paying Palm, $200 to repair it. I would rather suck up the $425 I paid for the phone!

I switching!
    Why are you upset with Tmobile? They don't sell the phone, so they shouldn't have to support it. They will provide support for setting up non-Tmobile phones to work on their system, and provide the network settings. I've used several Treo's on their system, and they've been very helpful.

As for Palm, since you didn't purchase it through them, what sort of warranty were you expecting? I would think that you should pursue whoever you bought the phone from for a situation like this. I would think you would have better luck with Cingular than Palm. What Palm is offering you sounds like what they would charge anyone who has an out of warranty product. I don't think they're trying to rip you off, even in their operators are misinformed.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    dude with with the broke treo 750 cingular!!!

if you have any friends that have cingular or now att, have them call cingular or att and tell them they just got this phone 2-3 months ago and it acting up and want to send it back.

ATT is so big , they dont know if you updgraded your phone, they just ask some simple question like what the serial number. tell them the phone was bought at a store, cingular or the new att well send your friend a new phone and you send them the broke phone back, problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!

my girl has cingular, so if my treo 750 turn into a brick that what I would do, it works!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting an unlocked Cingular 750 and using it on Tmobile. I am interested in anyone who has done just that, and what pitfalls, if any, that they had. I really prefer the WM system to the Palm which is why I'm taking this route. Tmobile just doesn't have a Pocket PC that works for me. Any input appreciated.

It helps that I have been a T-mobile customer for 3+ years now. Customer service is nicer to me(i think?)

I bought an unlocked treo a few weeks ago and switched plans, and they were very helpful in giving me the access point (i.e. internet2.voicestream, etc) and changed the plan on that day and I was able to get the "tmobile carrier" logo on my treos within an hour!

Ever since-3+ weeks now, I have never had any issues with them. Treos running great.

I have no regrets and it was good enough that I left my sidekick3!! Now that says a lot.

Lance
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by aslmentor View Post
    It helps that I have been a T-mobile customer for 3+ years now. Customer service is nicer to me(i think?)

I bought an unlocked treo a few weeks ago and switched plans, and they were very helpful in giving me the access point (i.e. internet2.voicestream, etc) and changed the plan on that day and I was able to get the "tmobile carrier" logo on my treos within an hour!

Ever since-3+ weeks now, I have never had any issues with them. Treos running great.

I have no regrets and it was good enough that I left my sidekick3!! Now that says a lot.

Lance
    Which Treo did you switch, and what Tmobile logos are you referring to? I think it would great to have those instead of the Cingular ones that keep popping up.

Alright, the Treo 750 unlocked dilemma is solved. My husband called (sorry I am not a dude) Palm..again..and they said they would replace it. It's funny we called 3 different customer service reps at Palm and got 3 different stories.

I have been a T-Mobile customer since 2004 and they have very good customer service, and I like them, but they don't sell Treo's so I am forced to buy one and unlock it.

I had a unlocked Treo 600 for 3 years and never had one ounce of trouble with T-Mobile and/or Palm. Palm replaced it once and so did T-Mobile.

Which by the way, my Treo 600 beats my 750 hands down anyday. I love my 600, but my battery is dying and I can't replace it, so I thought I would upgrade to the 750 and have had nothing but trouble.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsarjeant View Post
    Alright, the Treo 750 unlocked dilemma is solved. My husband called (sorry I am not a dude) Palm..again..and they said they would replace it. It's funny we called 3 different customer service reps at Palm and got 3 different stories.

I have been a T-Mobile customer since 2004 and they have very good customer service, and I like them, but they don't sell Treo's so I am forced to buy one and unlock it.

I had a unlocked Treo 600 for 3 years and never had one ounce of trouble with T-Mobile and/or Palm. Palm replaced it once and so did T-Mobile.

Which by the way, my Treo 600 beats my 750 hands down anyday. I love my 600, but my battery is dying and I can't replace it, so I thought I would upgrade to the 750 and have had nothing but trouble.
    One thing about the 600 is that Tmobile sold it and will support it and any issues they have. I have also had good results with their support on Treo 650s and other PDA phones I've used. We've been customers for almost 10 years, back when they were Voicestream.

I was surprised that you'd be getting rid of the Palm OS and going to a Windows based on, especially since you can get unlocked unbranded 680 for much less than a 750. I've got both of them and the 680 battery does leave something to be desired, it is a workable and useful phone (in addition to having 320x320 resolution and 64mb memory).

Have you done a google search for 600 batteries? I did, and found them ranging in price from 8.99 to 29.99. Most include instructions and the tool needed to change the battery. Might be worht a looksee, especially if you like your 600 that much.

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Which Treo did you switch, and what Tmobile logos are you referring to? I think it would great to have those instead of the Cingular ones that keep popping up.

I never switched treo, this is my first crack at the treo 750. Ive used sidekick, sidekick ii, and then sidekick 3 before jumping the boat.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by aslmentor View Post
    I never switched treo, this is my first crack at the treo 750. Ive used sidekick, sidekick ii, and then sidekick 3 before jumping the boat.

I see now that you switched plans, not phones. What did you to get the Tmobile logo on your screen?

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    But, no UMTS/HSDPA is possible on an unlocked Cingular Treo 750 on TMobile?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast