1.    #1  
    hi,

we have a new sprint treo wx, we have the unlimited internet/email data plan. my mom would like to connect her treo to her laptop and use the internet when shes over in oregon on the coast where she doesn't have to search for a local starbucks and pay for internet service.

is there a way to do this? i heard its called tethering but know not much else about it, does this incur any additional charges to her data plan, if so, is there a work around so that it doesnt incurr any other charges?

shes leaving tomorrow night, so if someone could please explain a step by step by then, it would really really be helpful.

thanks!
    I too have Sprint 700wx and tether. Buy pdanet (you can search - I forgot the link). It is like $30 and you can tether till your heart's content! And Sprint doesn't know ;-)
  3.    #3  
    is there no other free alternative to this? and is that $30 just a one time only deal?
    it is a one time fee to purchase the program, you can load the new Verizon BT stack onto the Sprint 700WX, which would enable "free" tethering. however, it can be difficult for the less-than-geek. Also on the coast, (I live in Portland) coverage is spotty at best (sprint, non roaming), and I dont believe ANY is EVDO, and all is 1Xrtt.

If your up for the BT stack update, you can look on the forums here for the exact instructions. or purchase pdaNET, however, again, my coverage on the coast has been less-than-perfect.

Hope this helps!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    if you have the UL data plan just install the connection manager thats on your cd that came with the phone
  6.    #6  
    so i just install that? then what
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeas750 View Post
    so i just install that? then what
    Just use it. You need to do three things:

1. Connect the treo to the PC.
    2. Run "Sprint Mobile Broadband for Phone as Modem" on the PC
    3. Run "Modem Link" on the Treo.

It should connect.

You could alternatively set up a new "Network Connection." Set up a new "Dial Up" connection to phone number "#777" using the Conexant D480 MDC V.9x Modem. That's pretty much all the Sprint software is doing for you - just in a nice tidy package so you do not need to know about how to set up a new modem to use it.

Good luck!!

BTW: This will work whether you have the connection in regular USB mode or Serial connection mode using Sprint's included (on the Treo) "USBSwitch" program. I use Serial mode to avoid interference with my VPN software for work.
  8.    #8  
    and this is all free? my mom wont incurr any additional charges along with her unlimited data plan?
    as long as you have an unlimited data package you should be fine
  10.    #10  
    wow sweet! thanks everyone!
    Not sure if I'm too late, but here is what I had to do to get my wx to work (same plan)... quote from PPCGeeks:

After much trial and error I thing I have this worked out. This is what I have found so try for your self and give me your comments.

First you will need to download the connection manager software from sprint. The disc that comes with the 700wx has a link to this software. Download and run the software and choose the 700wx drivers. Turn on the 700wx and go to start/programs/modem link set to connection USB, hit activate. Connect the 700wx to the PC with the OEM, USB cable wait for the drivers to recognize the 700wx as a modem.

Now on your PC go to Control panel and open Network Connections than Make a new connection/next/connect to internet/set up manually/connect using dial up modem. This brings up a page that shows the available modems chose the 700wx. Go to next ISP name is sprint/next telephone number is #777/next user name and password leave blank next/finish.

Next you will see the dial up window, THIS IS IMPORTANT make SURE user name and password are blank and check the box to save password. Hit dial. This will connect the first time no problem, but the next time you try you will get an error 687 remote computer will not respond or 692 hardware failure. Disconnect the USB cable deactivate the Modem Link than activate, reconnect the cable. BEFORE trying to make the dial up connection and while the 700wx is connected to the PC and the modem link is active, you MUST turn off the 700wx phone radio by holding the red phone button. After the phone has turned completely off turn it back on again by holding down the red phone button again. Than when the EV is back in the display start the dialup by going to start/connect to/sprint on the PC. This works every time, I am not sure what this has to do with the connection but it is the only way to reset the PPC and re-establish the connection.
    Now I just connect my Treo, activate Modem Link, press and hold the power button to turn the phone portion off, press and hold it again to turn it on, then when I see the EV symbol, I connect with my laptop. Good luck
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Do you have PAM on your account if you are using connection manager rather than PDANET?
  13.    #13  
    what is PAM?

its my moms account, i have a unlocked 750 on my tmobile account.

her account plan is:

$89.99 for 1,400 family minutes
    $15.99 sprint vision unlimited internet/email

i'm not sure what PAM is
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sefner View Post
    Not sure if I'm too late, but here is what I had to do to get my wx to work (same plan)... quote from PPCGeeks:

Now I just connect my Treo, activate Modem Link, press and hold the power button to turn the phone portion off, press and hold it again to turn it on, then when I see the EV symbol, I connect with my laptop. Good luck
    thanks i'll give it a go tonight and report back my findings!
    The 15.99 "unlimited internet" does not include tethering to a laptop. She will get charged if you use the phone connection software. If this is a quick trip you can install the PDAnet software. It comes with a trial, I'm not sure for how long. Or spend the $30 to sign up for the software.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quick question. Is it necessary to "disconnect" my existing dsl cable connection to the computer (desktop) to test pdanet? (I have lots of re-connection trouble whenever I unplug it). Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeas750 View Post
    what is PAM?

its my moms account, i have a unlocked 750 on my tmobile account.

her account plan is:

$89.99 for 1,400 family minutes
    $15.99 sprint vision unlimited internet/email

i'm not sure what PAM is

PAM = Phone as Modem
    Quote Originally Posted by zagleft1 View Post
    Quick question. Is it necessary to "disconnect" my existing dsl cable connection to the computer (desktop) to test pdanet? (I have lots of re-connection trouble whenever I unplug it). Thanks.
    I would think so.
    I just use BT DUN.. no need for pdanet or sprint connection software. I do have hannip's BT stack fix for a2dp which seems to have enabled bt dun. Anyway..I just make my phone discoverable. Then my laptop pairs with it and DUN shows up as a service. I click on it..it connects...asks me for dial # and username and pass. I leave everything blank except dial # and I use '#777'. Works great an no charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini13 View Post
    I just use BT DUN.. no need for pdanet or sprint connection software. I do have hannip's BT stack fix for a2dp which seems to have enabled bt dun. Anyway..I just make my phone discoverable. Then my laptop pairs with it and DUN shows up as a service. I click on it..it connects...asks me for dial # and username and pass. I leave everything blank except dial # and I use '#777'. Works great an no charge.

is there a tutorial on this somewhere?