1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

well, my mom just became a licensed realtor and i convinced her to buy a smart phone, the treo wx. rather than carry around a laptop, old school cell phone, palm pilot for her scheduling, and a gps system that would set her back $800.

anyways, two main components that she wanted it for was push email and internet. well, we have the internet part down. i showed her how push email works with my gmail account on my treo 750 and she loved it.

well last night she picks it up and now yahoo push email wont work!??! i felt bad in a way because i convinced her that something should work and it didn't. i want to be able to make it work for my mom. i'm pretty tech savvy but couldn't figure out why it kept looping me to the user name/password/domain screen. i didnt have this issue on my treo 750.

i did a search on these forums and people said use Yahoo!Go. so i did that, went to it on my moms treo and it says "does not currently support 240x240" so.....are you telling me we can't have her yahoo mail pushed to her phone?!!?!

can anyone help? we dont want to pay another $20 or something a year just to have that. they should make it clear that you can't just push any email to your phone if its not possible with some. please help
    You can use Emoze for Personal use. The only thing is you need to use Outlook and keep the app running on your PC. For Yahoo mail, you also need to use YahooPops. It's a freeware app that you run on the PC also. This lets you setup your email program to download mail from Yahoo, as if it as pop server. Once you install Yahoopops (aka YPops), run it (probably run it when Windows starts) and configure your pop server address as localhost.
    ...Or just pay for Yahoo! Mail Plus, which gives you what you need without all those redirector apps like Emoze and the like.
    Yahoo! Mail Plus is $19.99/yr (less than $2/month) and gives you Pop3 access, auot-forwarding, attachments up to 20MB, bigger inbox (no ads)....you probably know the rest.
    This is the best route in my opinion.

I have it free because I have Verizon DSL and it's included.

I absolutely love it.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I use FreePOPs which pulls mail from yahoo, but the problem is that if Yahoo changes their mail page it no longer works until a new version comes out. YahooPOPS would have the same issue.

I would do what Merovingian suggests and just pay for the Yahoo Plus for pop access if you must use Yahoo. If she can change her email address, go with another provider that offers Exchange push.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeas750 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    i did a search on these forums and people said use Yahoo!Go. so i did that, went to it on my moms treo and it says "does not currently support 240x240" so.....are you telling me we can't have her yahoo mail pushed to her phone?!!?!

can anyone help? we dont want to pay another $20 or something a year just to have that. they should make it clear that you can't just push any email to your phone if its not possible with some. please help
    I thought YahooGo was awful. I tried it twice. It caused all kinds of problems. Does she really need push email? Won't polling every 15mins work? the $20 for annual pop access is well worth it. In any event it's a biz expense for her.

Re GPS, as a realtor I would think that she would benefit from a more robust GPS application and a larger screen. Something that she can talk on the phone and still run. She might like the Garmin Nuvi series. Very small and quite powerful. You can easilly put it in a shirt pocket. I got one for my mother in law and she loves it.

Get your mom the 3.6v 2400mah extended battery.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
  6.    #6  
    THANKS FOR THE REPLIES

yeah, my mom bought the Garmin Nuvi, it was regularly $500 on costco.com but had a special for $340, so she got the one that you are talking about.

well, i mean, having the yahoo mail cycled to her phone every 15 minutes is what she wanted. but when i tried to set up yahoo email for her, when i get done, and do a receive/send, it says connecting to the internet, logging in, then brings up that user/password/domain screen, over and over every time it sends/receives. so it doesn't work

i'm trying to figure out a way that she can do it with all these 3rd party apps and having her pay another $20 a year, yes its not much but things add up and its something i thought the treo could do as it works with my gmail, and hotmail account on my treo 750.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Free Yahoo! is different from GMail because free Yahoo! doesn't provide POP access, which is a requirement for your phone to work.

If you want to stay 'free', launch PIE and access web-based Yahoo! mail from there.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Free Yahoo! is different from GMail because free Yahoo! doesn't provide POP access, which is a requirement for your phone to work.

If you want to stay 'free', launch PIE and access web-based Yahoo! mail from there.
    True, which is why you need to use a 3rd party app to download email from Yahoo, as if it was Pop mail. I'm an avid user of Ypops. YPops is also FREE.
  9.    #9  
    YPOPS?

so that imitates yahoo as being open to pop? is that a program that needs to be installed on my moms wx? so after that, i go through the regular setup of a new yahoo email account to have her email auto sent to her phone ever 10 minutes or so is that correct?

where can i find this Ypops you speak of my good man?
    YPOPS?

so that imitates yahoo as being open to pop? is that a program that needs to be installed on my moms wx? so after that, i go through the regular setup of a new yahoo email account to have her email auto sent to her phone ever 10 minutes or so is that correct?

where can i find this Ypops you speak of my good man?
    It needs to be installed on a PC. You can use it along with Emoze, which is also installed on your PC. Emoze personal is a Push mail app as well. There's also an app that runs on your device.

You can download YPops here:
    http://ypopsemail.com/
    THANKS FOR THE REPLIES

yeah, my mom bought the Garmin Nuvi, it was regularly $500 on costco.com but had a special for $340, so she got the one that you are talking about.

well, i mean, having the yahoo mail cycled to her phone every 15 minutes is what she wanted. but when i tried to set up yahoo email for her, when i get done, and do a receive/send, it says connecting to the internet, logging in, then brings up that user/password/domain screen, over and over every time it sends/receives. so it doesn't work

i'm trying to figure out a way that she can do it with all these 3rd party apps and having her pay another $20 a year, yes its not much but things add up and its something i thought the treo could do as it works with my gmail, and hotmail account on my treo 750.

You haven't made it clear if you have Yahoo! Mail Plus or not, so i'll assume that you don't, so that may explain why it's not working.
    $20/year does not add up for a business person if it ensures reliable access to email, think about it.

What happens if the PC that you're running the redirector application on goes to sleep mode, freezes up, a few seconds of power surge....and so forth. Yes, free is good but not when you can guarantee its reliability, and even more so for a business.

It is NOT the Treo's fault that the free version of Yahoo! does not do pop3 and GMail does. Yahoo! considers it a premium service.

Why not set up your person with a GMail account? It's gives you pop3 for free, at least.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    If she hasn't signed up for YahooPlus ($20) she won't be able to download yahoo email pop-style. Get the pop access. It's easy and will be seamless on your mom's end. She won't have to worry about 3rd party apps, using internet explorer or some crummy unput system or anything for that matter. ...it just works.
    If she has I would delete the account on the treo and start over.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    I was a loyal Yahoo Plus user for many years. After their service started declining dramatically about two years ago, I started slowly moving away from them and made the break from my yahoo account about six months ago.

Yahoo is not worth keeping. If you can, switch to gmail (or hosted domain on gmail). Gmail is quicker and is MUCH better at catching spam than Yahoo does.

I use Google for my email and forward a copy to my mail2web account and it works great. Email arrives within seconds of being sent (I have tested it with a friend while we were both on the phone and he sent me several links).