1.    #1  
    Didn't Palm promise an update to enable HSDPA by the end of the first quarter of calendar year 2007?

Well, the first quarter is almost over. Yes, I have the hack, but sometimes it stops working and requires a reinstallation.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    Yep thats what Palm said and nothing yet, I have heard that prolly by mid April it should be out, not only will it have a HSDPA but also the new WM 6.0.
    WM6? Doubtful... We'll definitely have HSDPA. But WM6 will not happen. Mobile OS's are often dependent on hardware specs my friend.
    There are already Treo 750s running WM6 as seen in several videos posted on the web and here at TC. Its not out of the question to assume that Palm will post an upgrade to WM6 for the 750 series.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I'm not saying everyones naive here. But do you really think Palm is going to offer some sort of good_faith upgrade? The HSDPA, yes..., WM6..., no.

Yes there are videos showing a 750 thats been used for development. But do you know anyone who has one? Does anyone know of anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by aquayonex View Post
    I'm not saying everyones naive here. But do you really think Palm is going to offer some sort of good_faith upgrade? The HSDPA, yes..., WM6..., no.

Yes there are videos showing a 750 thats been used for development. But do you know anyone who has one? Does anyone know of anyone?
    I too, tend to lean toward a pessimistic opinion on whether Palm will offer an upgrade. I have gone that route several times over the years, mainly with HP. However, that fact that Mobility Today obtained a development sample does give hope. If only for the fact that WM6 has already been customized by Palm and running on existing hardware.

As for whether Palm will offer an upgrade, I would strongly think that it is in their best interest considering the fact that the 750 is still a relatively new device (for both Cingular and Vodaphone). Whether it will be free? I think not.

Who really knows? Maybe no-one's even thinking about it over there since all the buzz about Moto/Nokia buying them is probably pervading the corporate environment.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    On that note..., it does seem weird that Nokia is going to buy a company that's in bed with Microsoft. Everything I've read suggests that Nokia is not very MS friendly.
  8.    #8  
    Yeah, I doubt we'll get WM6 in April. MAYBE sometime down the road.

When I bought my 750, I never thought there would be an OS upgrade to something like WM6. I expected patches and improvements to be released, but not a complete OS upgrade.
    Atlas Just Shrugged!
    On that note..., it does seem weird that Nokia is going to buy a company that's in bed with Microsoft. Everything I've read suggests that Nokia is not very MS friendly.
    Everyday I read something different...the company de jour is Motorola.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda View Post
    When I bought my 750, I never thought there would be an OS upgrade to something like WM6. I expected patches and improvements to be released, but not a complete OS upgrade.
    True, but this isn't really a huge upgrade it seems
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    True, but this isn't really a huge upgrade it seems
    Neither was the upgrade from WM2003 to WM2003SE and HP said "screw you". At the time, my 4150 could have handed SE just fine.
    Well you never know maybe thats why the "upgrade" has taken longer cuz they are implementing WM6 on it. Lets see what happens....
    I'm afraid it's taking longer because it's Palm. The 700p was released in May/June 2006 and they STILL haven't released the promised bug fix release for that. I sincerely doubt you will see a WM6 upgrade until Q4 and then it'll be the Treo 760 or something.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Unless the "760" has a 320x320 screen, I can't see anyone paying just to get WM6..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Personally I think we will see an upgrade for the 750 with HSPDA enabled sooner then you think and by year end we will see a new WM Treo with 320x320 screen, WM6 and other small improvements.

Just what my gut is telling me
    I was under the impression that WM6 was really more like WM5.5 and not a major OS upgrade. If that's the case, I think all early adopters should get it for free. It is past time to get the HSDPA patch out the door. It's not that big of a release so maybe Palm & Cingular have some other bug fixes included?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil View Post
    Personally I think we will see an upgrade for the 750 with HSPDA enabled sooner then you think and by year end we will see a new WM Treo with 320x320 screen, WM6 and other small improvements.

Just what my gut is telling me
    If Palm does this, it will be a CDMA phone. Palm will not risk their reputation by bringing out a new GSM device less than a year after the 750. They'll find an "upgrade" suffice for now. The 700w/wx is due for an upgrade WELL before the 750 (which just came out, remember).

Since WM6 has not officially been released to consumers, just about any device with it on it would be a development unit, wouldn't it? Once it hits the streets, then we can start complaining about what it does and doesn't do, and what it will and won't work on.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I think Palm will release a WM6 update for the Treo 750.