Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This thing looks really nice--especially the speed gains. Mobility Today has posted a video preview/review of WM6 running on top of the 750.

Definitely makes my mouth salivate!

http://mobilitytoday.com/news/mobili..._video_20.html
    No applications installed, no wonder it is so fast. On my Treo 750 (WM5) when I hard-reset, it flies until I start loading 3rd party...

Oh well, we'll get the update (if) and see.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Since HSDPA is supported natively in WM6, it's worth waiting for.
    I wonder if it will support bigger MiniSD cards....
  5.    #5  
    you're right ixtab1970--my tre is a bit faster w/o any 3rd party apps. still love it. still much speedier than my old htc wizard before overclocking. i want exchange search tho for my corporate email and contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by trojanvision View Post
    you're right ixtab1970--my tre is a bit faster w/o any 3rd party apps. still love it. still much speedier than my old htc wizard before overclocking. i want exchange search tho for my corporate email and contacts.
    How fast could you get your device to go and still be stable? I found 240mhz the sweet spot. However, the Treo blows my KJAM away.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    I saw very little new in that video. I'm not complaining but at the same time I can't understand why there is such a mouth-froth inducing demand to get it on existing Treos
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I agree with Rich - the only thing that looked at all interesting was the apparent faster speed, though note that most of the apps he ran were already running in memory. I find it hard to understand how an OS upgrade would magically make the same hardware appear much faster. (Especially one from MS.)
    softare tells the hardware how to work. If the software doesn't make things work the way they need to you will never extract the full potential of your hardware. So a software upgrade can work magic. Likewise, the software itself might not have been written with everything we now know, which means things should work smoother as well.

Although its not actually making the hardware faster than it really is, its only using the true potential of that hardware, or just not letting the software slow things down...
    bleeding edge hardware won't mean squat until you have someone that writes software to take advantage of it. In other words, you have a supercomputer with multiple cpu's and multiple gpu's and gigs upon gigs of ram, but its not going to run your regular windows xp any faster than your average computer because the os isn't made specifically to take advantage of the hardware. hence, thats why they have specific programs written just for those super computers, i.e. environmental simulations.

so yes, software can make a world of difference without hardware upgrade. but my question is, is that treo the same 750 that we have with an os upgrade or is that a newly treo with some new hardware tweaks with the new os?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I'm a commercial software developer specializing in software that makes applications run faster, so I'm familiar with the concept. But I have a hard time believing that MS magically found a way to significantly improve OS responsiveness unless they had seriously crippled the old version (inserting tons of no-ops in key kernel loops, for example.) Perhaps there's some new way of doing memory management or task switching that helped, but I remain skeptical.
    There are a lot of new stuff in wm6. This video review is the WORSE review I ever saw. The reviewer must be ***** because he didn't find anything new in WM6. I attached a PDF in this post, you can check it by yourself.

By the way, the speed boost is noticeable in wm6.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
  13.    #13  
    guess we'll just have to sit back and wait for good ol' Cingular or Voda to release this upgrade. Palm's been mum on word, but carriers are the culprit. I know Verizon is good about releasing OS upgrades, albeit very, very slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    There are a lot of new stuff in wm6. This video review is the WORSE review I ever saw. The reviewer must be ***** because he didn't find anything new in WM6. I attached a PDF in this post, you can check it by yourself.

By the way, the speed boost is noticeable in wm6.
    I know the guy personally, and BTW he is no *****. The "review" was not meant to be an overall view of WM6 feature by feature, but rather to show that WM6 exists on the Treo platform.

While I think some of your posts have been useful, your attitude is pretty poor. I don't know if you think you "know it all" but most of the information you have provided in this forum has been published elsewhere on many other forums. Just like that PDF that you provided.

Oh, and btw, many consider the amount of changes in WM6 Professional edition to be minor, some have even called it WM 5.5.

So, please come down off of your "high horse".
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    I know the guy personally, and BTW he is no *****. The "review" was not meant to be an overall view of WM6 feature by feature, but rather to show that WM6 exists on the Treo platform.

While I think some of your posts have been useful, your attitude is pretty poor. I don't know if you think you "know it all" but most of the information you have provided in this forum has been published elsewhere on many other forums. Just like that PDF that you provided.

Oh, and btw, many consider the amount of changes in WM6 Professional edition to be minor, some have even called it WM 5.5.

So, please come down off of your "high horse".

I never say I made the PDF. The PDF itself says everything. While I do think you are senior member here and own treo 750 a long time, you contribute very little to this community, except saying "yes" to treo 750.

As I said in my thread, if the hacks have been released in other places, all credits go there. Unlike you, I at least collected them together and helped those who need them.

Of all my hacks, I am the original founder of the side button, jog wheel, restore speaker icon and ctrl key. I compiled the PIE shortcut for this community and provided more freewares to those who need them.

Please also restraint your words, this is public community, everybody has the right to speak.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron View Post
    I
    Of all my hacks, I am the original founder of the side button, jog wheel, restore speaker icon and ctrl key. I compiled the PIE shortcut for this community and provided more freewares to those who need them.

Please also restraint your words, this is public community, everybody has the right to speak.
    As for showing restraint, I would assume that means not trashing someone by calling them an "*****"? While your contributions to the site are appreciated, it doesn't give you the right to preach to others about what they should and shouldn't say, especially if it doesn't agree with your opinions.

I think everyone should just shut up and keep talking about the Video, not who made it and what feelings people have about those people and their thoughts... too many threads get lost to 2 people hiding behind their keyboards insulting each other because it makes them feel like internet/message board vigilantes.

PALM TREO 750 VIDEO discussion re-commences NOW...
    Actually I agree with cellneuron. From listening to the mobilitytoday podcast the team there has been incredibly dismissive of WM6. I know there are no revolutionary changes, but the large number of improvements made deserve more respect. The new smart dialer is especially nice, as is the fact that contacts now store a call log, and I use the pocket outlook shortcuts all the time. The new internet sharing mode allows your device to work as a dial up modem while still maintaining connectivity on the device itself, allowing you to receive push e-mail for example. There are many other little changes which has made me glad I am running a leaked version for some months now, and making me eager to upgrade to a device like the HTC Kaiser which is running it from the start.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    As for showing restraint, I would assume that means not trashing someone by calling them an "*****"? While your contributions to the site are appreciated, it doesn't give you the right to preach to others about what they should and shouldn't say, especially if it doesn't agree with your opinions.

Thanks for your comment, but unfortunately it is not constructive. Tons of people call Bush an ***** every day, but I never saw an "right" issue. I never call any people here an *****, actually I love this community. But If you or JGOLD happened to be this reviewer, I do apologize and take my words back. The policy here is against the personal attach WITHIN THIS COMMUNITY.

Please don't link the contributions to personal opinions, which is fairly childish and disturbing.
    Last edited by cellneuron; 03/21/2007 at 03:29 PM.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Actually I agree with cellneuron. From listening to the mobilitytoday podcast the team there has been incredibly dismissive of WM6. I know there are no revolutionary changes, but the large number of improvements made deserve more respect. The new smart dialer is especially nice, as is the fact that contacts now store a call log, and I use the pocket outlook shortcuts all the time. The new internet sharing mode allows your device to work as a dial up modem while still maintaining connectivity on the device itself, allowing you to receive push e-mail for example. There are many other little changes which has made me glad I am running a leaked version for some months now, and making me eager to upgrade to a device like the HTC Kaiser which is running it from the start.

Surur
    Once again, the purpose of the video was show that a Treo 750 in it's current hardware form was running WM6 and such an animal existed. Dave also mentions that it is not known yet whether WM6 will be offered as an upgrade or a new device line.

No doubt there are some nice things in WM6 and they have been talked about on MT. Gee, isn't increase in speed a nice thing? Dave existing Treo 750 isn't loaded with much in terms of 3rd party apps so the comparison of his 750 vs the WM6 one is pretty accurate.

I think you will find more excitement for the hardware running WM6 than the OS itself. As I said, WM6 is more like XP Service pack 2, which, don't get me wrong is a GOOD thing.

Also, many sites have linked to the MT video review, including some respected tech sites, so take the "review" for what it is, and if you are a Treo owner then this gives hope that an upgrade may CERTAINLY be possible.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast