Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Does anyone use a Jawbone headset with their 700w's or wx's? For those who dont know, its a headset that will filter out any outside noise. So if your at a basketball game or concert or cutting the grass, the other side wont hear none of the other sound, only your voice.
    Got one for my wife's Sprint WX. The noise canceling is amazing.
    I picked up a Jawbone a couple hours ago. So far, I'm impressed. I have to work on the fit to get it right, but I put it head to head with a Moto HS-850 on a VZW 700wx.

I did a basic noise test by driving at 60mph with a window open. I was inaudible on the Moto. On the Jawbone, I had some background noise, but the person on the other end had no problem hearing me clearly.

Testing with music, I ramped up the radio volume from quiet, to bone-shattering. Maintaining a consistent voice volume was interesting. I could not hear myself talking, but the person I called reported that on the Jawbone, I was audible. on the Moto... nothing but noise.

I need at least a few days to fully test the BT connection with the wx.

NYC with Tribute in Light - April 10, 2002
    It's only 70" wide. I should have shot it for my 700wx instead of the wall!
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    The problem with the jawbone headset is that it is so big.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    The problem with the jawbone headset is that it is so big.
    It's a bit on the large side, I agree. On the other hand, we all carry the massive Treo. Style is subjective, so it's certainly not a good purchase for you if you really don't like the way it looks.

I managed to bend the standard ear loop to get a good fit. I'm still impressed with the unit. More to come when I have given it a torture test.

Well, I liked it:

http://www.wmexperts.com/reviews/blu...bluetooth.html

Note the comment on the bottom of the article - apparently if you've installed voice command 1.6 (the one that works with bluetooth), you can make a reg edit to improve compatiblity with the jawbone.
    I've been using the Jawbone for 2 days now, and have had no issues with my VZW Treo 700wx.

It works a lot better than the MOTO HS850, H700, Blueant X3, and Sony-Ericsson HBH662 I've used in the past. When I say it works a lot better, I'm not just referring to the sound quality, but the fact that it does not crash the bluetooth stack, or loose it's paring, etc.

The sound quality is great as well, blocking most background noise.

The only downside is it is quite a bit bigger than most other headsets.
    Its not -that- big. I would totally wear it for the sound quality benefits.

How is volume on the users end though?

I admit my hearing isn't the best. Can you hear the other party well?
    I've had mine for a week. In all honesty, I don't see it being better than any other but I haven't had any problems with BT HS with my VZW 700wx. I have a Moto H500, Moto S820, and a Jabra 8010 to compare. I'll keep trying it in noisier environments.

The packaging is superb, however. It made me feel that I was getting something worth the hefty price I paid for my first BT HS several years ago.
    Beryl, did you see my above post?

Does it get loud on your end?
    I think the Jawbone will be getting some good competition from the Invisio Q7. It should be lighter and smaller then the Jawbone - assuming they ever release it.
    The Invisio looks cool on paper. I look forward to the head to head tests.

I put the Jawbone up against the Moto HS850 and the Plantronics V510 this afternoon. The Jawbone crushed both challengers.

Sound quality:
    • Jawbone: Slightly tinny, but very clear. Proper fit was essential!
    • HS850: Somewhat distant. Limited volume.
    • V510: A bit hollow, but clear.

Voice/mic quality (as reported by my caller):
    • Jawbone: Loud enough to be heard, and very crisp. My voice was easily picked out of every kind of background noise I could come up with. It failed the 35 MPH direct wind test, but I think that had something to do with the vibration of the actual headset.
    • HS850: Caller heard all background noise. Anything over a slight breeze or quiet radio was enough to cut my voice to unacceptable levels. Fidelity reported as very good for a cell phone call. Overall mic volume reported as "Sort of quiet." 35 MPH wind test was fun, but resulted in all noise, no voice, and nearly cost me the headset.
    • V510: Clear voice except in direct wind. 35 MPH wind test was not a total loss. By shouting, I was able to come through above the wind. Normal car background noises were cut significantly. Music and background voices were distracting, but not a serious problem at low volume. Higher background volumes made my voice hard to understand.

Fit:
    • Jawbone: Excellent. Required bending one of the 4 included ear loops to get the correct height for the earbud (also one of a collection included). The slightly heavier than average weight made me nervous until I got the fit right. It is very comfortable, and well supported.
    • HS850: Floppy, but lightweight. There is no practical way to customize the fit aside from the removable ear cup. Very comfortable.
    • V510: Secure, but 100% fixed position. The springy nature of the headset material gave the Voyager a good fit, but the lack of adjustment capacity may make it either less secure or comfortable on some ears. The large main body of the V510 may be annoying for some. Note: it will flip to fit either ear.

BT notes for the VZW 700wx:
    • Jawbone: Stable, stable, stable. It paired and stayed linked. Incoming calls routed to the Jawbone when I used the headset OR treo buttons. I have been unable to get it to drop the link while driving in and out of high, low, and zero signal areas. (Only one day of testing so far)
    • HS850: Pairs easily but drops off occasionally at random intervals. Re-establishing the link was easy and did not require a reset of either device. Most incoming calls and almost all outgoing calls routed correctly to the headset. Incoming calls routed to the Treo when the handset button was used.
    • V510: Pairing was easy. Dropped link at random, and while connecting calls (incoming or outgoing.) Re-establishing the link often took multiple attempts, but did not require a reset of the wx. Note that this is a vast improvement over the W. The lost link was frequent enough to make this a nearly useless device for me.

Style:
    I don't particularly care. They are all headsets and all look silly on the side of my head. I need to talk on my headset, not model it.

Final notes:
    For me, the absolute winner so far is the Jawbone. I felt a bit awkward buying a headset for me VZW phone in a Cingular store, but I got over that quickly when I began to use the device. The 30-day return policy was enough to get me to fork over $120 in an attempt to get a working, high quality BT headset. Unless the performance changes over time, I'm keeping the Jawbone, and have no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by xtravbx View Post
    Beryl, did you see my above post?

Does it get loud on your end?
    Yes.

It is loud enough for me.

I just don't use it much since I prefer to keep on my Jabra for both stereo and handsfree. If I could figure out how to get WM and other audio over to my Jawbone, I'd probably use it more. It is not like I'm listening to music -- I just want to hear the news via radio streaming.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I am very pleased with Jawbone. My wife keeps telling me to "not talk so loud" when I'm on it because I'm used to having to speak up when I'm in the car. I turned on the fan full, turned up the radio, opened the window and spoke in a normal voice and she could hear me.

I also could hear well, and I have a bit of hearing loss. There are 6 volume levels, although fairly subtle between the various levels.

On wired headsets, of which Jabra is my favorite, I'd rate the wired Jabra about a 6 on a 1 to 10.

On 2 other Bluetooth sets I've tried, I'd rate them about a 4, because of connection issues and volume both outgoing and incoming.

On Jawbone, I'd rate it at least an 8. Very satisfied, and easy to use, stays connected and performs as advertised. I'm on the phone fors hours every day, this is the best thing I've had. Honestly I was pretty much amazed.

-Sailsguy
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    so im guessing 120 is the all around price and prob the lowest il get it for
    Quote Originally Posted by sfld View Post
    so im guessing 120 is the all around price and prob the lowest il get it for
    You can find it for a little less through eBay, but for very little extra, you'll have the security of knowing you can return it within 30 days if you don't like it. The two official channels for it are through Aliph (the manufacturer) and Cingular. Save yourself the shipping fees and use a company-owned Cingular store if you have one nearby.

I tried the Jawbone out but in the end returned it.

The sound was good but it was the fit that bothered me.

I don't wear my headset 24/7. I like to keep it "at the ready" in my pocket or close by and when a call comes in I put the headset on and answer it. Getting the Jawbone on my ear quickly wasn't easy. I need something that goes on without having to think about it. Nokia, Jabra and Samsung seem to work best for that. They either have very wide ear clips or no clips at all.
    I'm running my next marathon for charity.

Click here and help me by donating online.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post

I don't wear my headset 24/7. I like to keep it "at the ready" in my pocket or close by and when a call comes in I put the headset on and answer it. Getting the Jawbone on my ear quickly wasn't easy. I need something that goes on without having to think about it. Nokia, Jabra and Samsung seem to work best for that. They either have very wide ear clips or no clips at all.
    Aye, a VERY important observation. If you need something that goes on quickly, the Jawbone is not for you. The precise fit requires a fairly small gap between the end of the ear loop and the back end of the headset.

I also noticed that with glasses on, it's more difficult than others to put on. The glasses had to come of first, but fit well enough once the Jawbone was on properly.

Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg View Post

This is why I haven't purchased a Jawbone too. I could always glue an EarGel to the Jawbone like I have done with my HBH-660, but I figure I'll wait for the Invisio Q7 to come out first since that seems to not require an ear-loop.
    Some closing notes on the Jawbone's performance:

I have noticed that is actually DOES disconnect as often as the other headsets, but there are two things that set it apart. It never drops during a call, and it always reconnects right away.

The #1 behavior that tipped the scales for me is that when I am on the handset or speaker, and turn on the Jawbone, the call transfers properly to the headset.