Page 1 of 34 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    UPDATED WITH WM6 VERSION

Ok, due to the large number of people still having trouble installing the sms app, I have decided to write another tutorial for nOObs. With pictures. Many said the old threads were outdated. Going back to beta 1 and reg edits. So i did this one

1. download and install the treaded sms cab file into main memory. if your device is the 700w/wx or other pre aku 2.3 device, you can download it here. if it is a newer aku device like the mogul or the 6700 with cooked roms, you can get it here. there are so many other links on this site as well as other sites, i will just post another link here. i had 913 downloads from the old version and no complaints from palm. if we get complaints i'll just go back to the email way

2. download and install resco file explorer. if you want the old version that i used in the picutes below, you can download it here . This is a must because the stock file explorer will not let you see all the files that we need to access. You don’t need to buy this program, just download the trial version to use for this install. You can use total commander as well, but the instructions I will give are for resco.

3. make sure you have no un-answered sms messages sitting in your inbox. you may as well just delete all the message because you will not have them anymore after the new install.

4. Put your phone in flight mode. This will keep incoming calls, email, sms, ect from interfering with the installs.

5. Go to start / programs / resco explorer

6. Open that app and hit menu / file / options / browser. This is where you need to enable "shows all files"

7. Hit done. Now scroll down and hit windows folder.

8. Scroll down and hit startup folder.

9. With your stylus, tap and hold "poutlook".

10. A new menu will pop up. You need to scroll down a little to see "delete". Select delete. We need to remove this "poutlook" file.

11. now exit out of resco and do a soft reset.

12. once the divice is finished rebooting open resco agian and navigate to program files / palm messaging. You should see this

13. Hit menu / edit / select all.

14. using your stylus tap and hold onto the screen where the selected files are. A new pop up should come up.

15. Select move to and then select the "windows" folder. Don’t open the windows folder just tap on the word "windows. You should see this screen next.

16. Now select "overwrite all".

17. A warning will show up saying you are overwriting rom files. Don’t be scared. Select yes. You will select yes 13 times. One for every file.

18. Now after the last file is moved you should see this.

this shows all the files from the palm messaging folder have been moved.

19. exit out of resco and do another softreset.

Congratulations you’re done.

Now you will have a new today plug for the sms app. this can be moved or removed in your today screen preferences.

You will also find have a few new icons (apps in your programs menu and start menu. like "inbox" in your start menu and message (1) and messages.

You can use resco to navigate to windows /start menu to remove the ones that show up when you hit your start key. You can go to windows / start menu / programs to remove the ones that show up in your list of programs.

I hope this helps someone

update.... the mms option in this app will not work no matter what you do. since there has been so much confusion about this i have included a link to the mms app. this will not enable the mms on the threaded sms app. you will have a different mms option in your messaging. for a better understanding of this here is a link to ppcgeeks. thay have a nice site, but requires registering to see the downloads. please do not post questions reguarding the mms app here. post problems on there site. the only reason i am posting this here is to avoid mixing the two.

Cody

If anyone wants to donate, click here for paypal.
    Last edited by codyppc; 07/30/2008 at 09:22 AM.
    Thank you for the detailed instructions. I am going to give this a shot. Can you post a screen shot of the actual app in action?
  3.    #3  
    Last edited by codyppc; 03/19/2007 at 12:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    this thead is pure, unadulterated awesome. it's too bad I did this earlier before this thread was created

what does deleting poutlook do? I haven't done it.
    Awesome tutorial!

Unfortunately for myself I installed the threaded messaging ap before this was posted and missed number 3. I had one unread text message when I installed the app and I noticed that after the installation and reset that I have two plugins for text messages. Both indicate that I have one unread message even though I have read all messages that I have recieved. Is there a fix for my problem?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    after you transfer the files from the palm messaging cab to windows, can you delete them from the cab to save space?
  7. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Yes, after you copy the files to the windows folder, you can then go back into the program folders & delete the 13 files.
    Nice step by step instructions, cody. The only thing I don't like is that it takes up so much space on the device. Expected but not wonderful.

(Thanks, Hannip for hooking me up.)
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    this thead is pure, unadulterated awesome. it's too bad I did this earlier before this thread was created

Bump on this. I didn't delete poutlook either. Is it necessary to do that? Everything seems to working fine with poutlook in the startup.
  10.    #10  
    after you transfer the files from the palm messaging cab to windows, can you delete them from the cab to save space?
    that is why I used the "move" instead of "copy". this saves the step of deleteing them from the program files/palm messageing folder after the install.
    Im sure this was covered, but I wanted to ask anyway;

1) Does this replace our existing text message folder? Can we access this by side scrolling in the email app or only through either the today plug in or the programs folder?
    2) Do text messages show up in both this and the original text messaging folder?

thanks.

By the way Cody, excellent job. Many thanks.
    Last edited by nyc_rock; 03/19/2007 at 01:35 PM.
    Cody, did you mean to put "treaded" rather than "threaded" sms? I also noticed this on the autoreply when I tested it out.

BTW, you have done a very nice job taking ownership of this. I'm sure you've made hannip proud.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Cody, did you mean to put "treaded" rather than "threaded" sms? I also noticed this on the autoreply when I tested it out.

BTW, you have done a very nice job taking ownership of this. I'm sure you've made hannip proud.
    I can't spel. sorry.

i'm trying.

you know.... ppcgeeks has a spell checker. how come we don't.

edit: hey, I just looked. I spell it right sometimes. lol
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Hmmm...today it seems things have gone silly. I show 1 unread txt message, but not in the new program-it's showing from the original outlook txt today display. I click it and the messenger program opens and there are none unread.
  15.    #15  

I do belive it has something to do with making sure the incoming sms messages go to the right app. I don't remember. I just remember people having problems when thay didn't do this.
  16.    #16  
    Hmmm...today it seems things have gone silly. I show 1 unread txt message, but not in the new program-it's showing from the original outlook txt today display. I click it and the messenger program opens and there are none unread.
    that's the poutlook thing.
    cody,
    This app has slowed down my device considerably. I'm thinking that it is because of main memory/storage being reduced. I now only have 9MB left. I don't have a problem with program memory since I don't use the plugin. I'll keep using it for a week and see if it is tolerable.

Here is the question that has been asked before but never answered in the sticky. Perhaps you know the answer:

Is there anything special required to uninstall this app short of a hard reset?
    13 files were overwritten in Windows. I'm not concerned about the ROM files, of course.

I did back up my system with both Sprite and SPB Backup but I think after trying this out for a week, I won't want to return to a pre-Threaded SMS backup. I should have backed up the non-ROM original files in \Windows separately so I could uninstall, delete the 13 files and copy over the original ones. Too late for that wise move.

Ideas? Link to the answer?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    grrr-and to think I deleted poutlook last night right after I read this thread

is there a way to get rid of the '2 txt messages' that shouldnt be there anymore? Maybe something I can do with the registry? I only have resco for several more days
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    It is working great! Thanks Cody! I do have one question though. I only have 3.63 MB free "Storage" on my device. I have 34.25 MB free "Program."
    Do I need to do something to free up space on Storage? I have 442.14 MB available on my SD card. I have looked at my programs using Remove Programs but I am not sure where things are installed or if I need everything there. As far as I know I am not storing anything on the device. I am confused!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
    cody,
    This app has slowed down my device considerably. I'm thinking that it is because of main memory/storage being reduced. I now only have 9MB left. I don't have a problem with program memory since I don't use the plugin. I'll keep using it for a week and see if it is tolerable.

Here is the question that has been asked before but never answered in the sticky. Perhaps you know the answer:

Is there anything special required to uninstall this app short of a hard reset?
    13 files were overwritten in Windows. I'm not concerned about the ROM files, of course.

I did back up my system with both Sprite and SPB Backup but I think after trying this out for a week, I won't want to return to a pre-Threaded SMS backup. I should have backed up the non-ROM original files in \Windows separately so I could uninstall, delete the 13 files and copy over the original ones. Too late for that wise move.

Ideas? Link to the answer?

hard reset first to completly remove everything. then restore back to right before you installed the app. this is the only way.
Page 1 of 34 12345611 ... LastLast