1.    #1  
    I'm deciding on a new Smartphone and its probably between the HTC Dash/Excalibur and the Treo 750. So far, I have the following between the two. Has anybody used both to provide a better comparison:

1) HTC's slim sized factor seems much better than the chunkier Treo.

2) HTC has a better screen resolution (320x240) compared to Treo (240x240)

3) Treo is touch screen which is both good an bad. Good in the sense that the input flexibility is better. Bad in the sense that you could end up accidentally pressing something when the phone is on your ear.

4) Treo has full featured WM5 compared to the Smartphone edition, however with WM6 already announced for HTC, there shouldnt be much difference left as Office suite is built-in in WM6 on all editions

5) Treo has a faster CPU (220Mhz vs 300MHz)

Any other things I should be looking at?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
    I'm deciding on a new Smartphone and its probably between the HTC Dash/Excalibur and the Treo 750. So far, I have the following between the two. Has anybody used both to provide a better comparison:

1) HTC's slim sized factor seems much better than the chunkier Treo.

2) HTC has a better screen resolution (320x240) compared to Treo (240x240)

3) Treo is touch screen which is both good an bad. Good in the sense that the input flexibility is better. Bad in the sense that you could end up accidentally pressing something when the phone is on your ear.

4) Treo has full featured WM5 compared to the Smartphone edition, however with WM6 already announced for HTC, there shouldnt be much difference left as Office suite is built-in in WM6 on all editions

5) Treo has a faster CPU (220Mhz vs 300MHz)

Any other things I should be looking at?

Thanks
    I have only used treo 750.

1) but isnt slim bad for battery life?

2) but what about the physical size of the screen, that has influence as well.

also look at SMS/Messaging application, battery life, bluetooth, wifi, ...
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    i tried the Dash, but returned it because i prefer the PPC OS. my thoughts on your comments

1. i prefer the size of the Treo vs. Dash because it's easier for me to hold the device. fits in my pocket just fine.

2. true. i am willing to trade-off resolution for functionality.

3. Treo has a setting to disable the screen during phone calls.

4. you could be right on this one.

5. True.

other considerations -----

6. Treo has 3G, this means internet is much faster than the Dash's Edge. you can also make/receive calls while connected to the internet and/or checking email.

7. in my opinion, the call quality and volume of Treo was better than the Dash (others may disagree)

8. Dash has Wifi; the Treo does not

9. Palm's tweaks make the Treo a solid one-handed PPC device

10. Treo battery life with 3G is not as good as the Dash with Edge

just my 2cents...
    cortez
    Xda Orbit 2 / Sprint Diamond / Samsung Epix / Touch HD
    I have had both. The Dash is a great little phone. Wifi doesn't matter that much for me, and that seemed to be the main differential. I really missed the touch screen, and the PIM functionality of the Smartphone seems a little punier than the PPC version. Now I have the 750 and the 700wx. And I'm kinda missing the Palm OS and I'm pining for a 700p or the 755p or whatever is coming at us.

Medications can cure this problem, I'm sure.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for all the responses. With WM6, isnt the gap shortened very much between the Smartphone version and the Full version? From what I have read, both versions will come with Office apps.

Will there be any major differences except the touch screen functionality?

-a

-a
    Thanks for all the responses. With WM6, isnt the gap shortened very much between the Smartphone version and the Full version? From what I have read, both versions will come with Office apps.

Will there be any major differences except the touch screen functionality?

-a

-a
    Still plenty of differences. One of which being the power and flexibility of the Today screen on both platforms. With SP you need to basically futz with XML to customize the today screen, with PPC os you use plug-ins. Both have pros and cons.

When you speak of true convergence of both OS'es, you speak of Photon which will be a Major re-write of the OS'es.

Still waiting for a PPC-based device in a Blackjack form factor.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    If you can wait, get the Motorol Q9 then it's worth considering over the dash. But I can't say there's any garuntee that Cingular will have it in June, but it's likely they'll have it eventually. I may have to give it a shot myself even though I don't know if I can deal with no touchscreen/smartphone.
    Sorry, I don't mean derail the thread with this BS, I just thought it was worth mentioning... if in fact waiting (who knows how long) isn't going to be a factor.
    Last edited by taylorh; 03/19/2007 at 01:31 AM.
    WM6 Professional (Pocket PC/Pocket PC Phone Edition) is still a lot more versatile than WM6 Standard (Smartphone Edition). The gap is still there as far as programs you are able to run. I use a lot of different financial applications and most are only available on the Pocket PC Edition. Granted, a lot has been migrated to the Smartphone platform, but that is money I've already invested in software.
  9.    #9  
    The lack of WiFi on the 750 is probably the biggest drawback for me at the moment. I do travel frequently to places that have WiFi which is a LOT cheaper than Internation Roaming charges for GPRS/3G.

-a
    The lack of WiFi on the 750 is probably the biggest drawback for me at the moment. I do travel frequently to places that have WiFi which is a LOT cheaper than Internation Roaming charges for GPRS/3G.

-a
    Well, if that's important, that pretty much seals the deal, no?
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  11.    #11  
    Rightly put, but cant the Treo 750 handle WiFi with an external mini-SD card? I'll only need to plug that it when I need WiFi- sure a little annoying but nevertheless, a solution.

-a