1.    #1  
    Happy St. Patrick's Day Eve,

Ok, has anybody seen this behavior and know of a workaround. Sync'ing OTA with Treo 700w's and 700wx's with Exchange 2003 SP2. Every so often, device will stop and ActiveSync Exchange is less then helpful in actually telling you why. During normal trouble shooting it would be nice to uncheck calendar and try to sync and see if the problem is there, or in the email, or in a bad contact.

Email is no big deal, when you uncheck that, the device will actually delete all email from it. But, when you uncheck contacts or calendar, that data will stay on the device and when you re-check it, BAM, your contacts and calendar will come back down to your device and the local data will go back up to the server and you will have double entries on both ends.

Other then manually deleting all the contacts and calendar before re-adding the check box, is there a better way to do it? Is there some setting on the exchange servers that is not configured right?

Under the advanced settings for ActiveSync on our devices we have it set to 'Replace the item on my device' selected for "If there is a Conflict"

Sorry for the long winded post!
    About the only thing you can do is to install one of a number of dulpicate deletion tools. See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail_duplicates.asp.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    About the only thing you can do is to install one of a number of dulpicate deletion tools. See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail_duplicates.asp.

Thanks!! I'll check that out.

I just think it's messed up that I can have the same contacts on my device and in my exchange mailbox, yet the two can't figure out the are the same darn thing and not make duplicates. To me, Bob Smith on my Treo and Bob Smith in my exchange mailbox are the same, don't give me two!! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    Other then manually deleting all the contacts and calendar before re-adding the check box, is there a better way to do it?
    When I've seen this problem (I sync to both my personal laptop and my work Exchange server, so it manifests itself on the initial sync after a hard reset), I've gone into the Outlook address book on either my home or work computer. If you set to phone list format, and then add the field for "modified" to the table, you will be able to see (duh) when the various entries were last modified. For your duplicate contacts, simply delete the one that was most recently modified (if you're getting perfect duplication, as in every contact is duplicated, this is easy--sort by modified, then delete the first half of your contacts...if you're not getting perfect duplication, you'll have to do some manual reviewing).

To avoid this, I've taken to deleting everything out of my personal computer before doing a hard reset. That way, when I hard reset, items restore from my Exchange server to my device, and then from my device to my personal computer. I do it in this direction because my work has an overlay on the Outlook contacts that seems to screw everything up if I do it the other direction.