1.    #1  
    Is there a way to extend the old appointment sync past 6 months. I use my calendar for documentaion of medical for my family, ie medication, Dr visits etc. Under activesync options on the phone you can go 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months or 6 months. Is this a limitation of the Treo or WM5.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party app that would keep ALL old appointments from Outlook?

Tripp
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippank View Post
    Does anyone know of a 3rd party app that would keep ALL old appointments from Outlook?
    Tripp
    ActiveSync has an ALL option that will keep all old appointments, regardless of age.

I am looking for a way to keep one year's worth of appointments. I have too many years of appointments to do an ALL (run out of memory with a decade and a half of appointments). I don't want to "archive" from Outlook because I want "instant" access to past appointments.

Hence my desire for a one year solution ...
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts
    Unless you can find a way to archive the appointments to a storage card, I believe 6 months would start to make a large dent in the device's main memory. Anything longer than that, you probably start to hit system performance really hard. Imagine a 300MHz processor trying to search hundreds and hundreds of appointments. It has a hard enough time looking through a hundred or so phone numbers in the contacts list.

You could put all of the information into word documents (Jan 06, February 06, etc.), categorize the information in each document (appointment date, medications prescribed, etc.) and sync the docs to the phone on a storage card. You would have a record from the past months and all of the data in individual documents. You could also edit them on the go if needed.

I am sure you could find a third party app that would let you keep more than 6 months on the device, but as I said before, the device will only get slower and slower.
    Quote Originally Posted by jevangil View Post
    I believe 6 months would start to make a large dent in the device's main memory. Anything longer than that, you probably start to hit system performance really hard.

I am sure you could find a third party app that would let you keep more than 6 months on the device, but as I said before, the device will only get slower and slower.
    You are quite right that there is a large dent in the device memory. When I had my iPAQ hx4700, I was able to load all of my appointments (approx 15,000) and still had memory left over. Performance was fine.

With my Treo 750, however, I am able to load six months and still have quite a bit of memory left. Performance is acceptable, though searching does take a bit(!) longer than I would prefer.

To me, one year is a good period ... it give me the ability to ask/answer the question, "How did I do it last year?"

And, by the way, 3rd party applications for synchronizing calendars and contacts (e.g. Intellisync etc) are notorious for being difficult to use and for corrupting databases. I would avoid them at all costs.

Just some thoughts ...