Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey All (Especially Shadowmite, Hannip and HobbsisReal),

So lets say that supposedly I got my hands on two versions of the WM6 pre release. Is there anything we could do with it to benefit the 700w? The ROMupdater included gives an error and I'm not nearly savvy enough to do anything with it. I would gladly assist in locating a copy for whoever could use it to help all treokind.
    We should be able to extract files from it to see what works when copied to a treo. You won't be able to upgrade to WM6 using it however.
    Would be great to see if the new Outlook works on the 700wx.
    Do we have a list of files that outlook uses?

If we grabbed the updated poutlook.exe & overwrote the old one, would it do anything?
    I just put WM6 on my 8125 last night and its pretty nice. Its not a lot different than WM5 on my treo, but seems to run faster. I haven't played with it much so I can't say much of anything else.
    Can we attempt to install it without over writing the rom? Meaning, can we try to install without bricking the unit?
    Outside of extracting a few standalone type programs we won't be able to get full-WM6 on our Treos for one major reason: we can't flash the ROM since we don't have a ROM updater yet.

So there is no way "in" to the device (unless I'm wrong with that and things have changed recently?). If the 700wx ever gets a ROM update, we can then borrow the update program to flash our devices and makes custom ROMs.

Even there though Palm has made so many custom tweaks to WM5/6 that we could never match them--so you'd make your device have WM6 but loose all the cool Palm tricks, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a WM Treo, imo.

This pre-release of WM6 is nothing special. It's been out for months now floating around XDA etc. (and is not a completed version).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The only thing I would want is the newer outlook. Everything else I am happy with.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    can we get the rom posted
    Does anyone think that palm will allow the upgrade for all of us
    read: screen resolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Outside of extracting a few standalone type programs we won't be able to get full-WM6 on our Treos for one major reason: we can't flash the ROM since we don't have a ROM updater yet.
    So we could try to install WM6 on a treo without any ill effects since we could always hard reset the device if it froze up for whatever reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    So we could try to install WM6 on a treo without any ill effects since we could always hard reset the device if it froze up for whatever reason?
    Installing a ROM image is not like installing a cab file. If we even could get the ROM to load, if it didn't work, we'd likely brick the phone, rendering it completely useless, as it would overwrite core-level software with nothing. There probably wouldn't be a way to resurrect it after that... so, no.

A hard reset only resets to default settings with the existing ROM. Remove it, and a hard reset doesn't exist anymore.
    END OF LINE
    My thought behind this was to "unzip" the rom files to a windows desktop & then overwrite the files we want to update on the Treo itself. I realize we couldnt do all the files on the whole device (else how would you upload it) but starting small with Poutlook.exe & the associated files, they should be able to be overwritten.

Maybe this is a way to get some of the WM6 functionality within WM5.

Thats mainly what I am trying to do but I am stuck at this point trying to extract the 02_OS.nb file (which has the files we need within it).
    Oh, I see what you mean... didn't think of that... hmm.
    END OF LINE
    I believe I got a hold of the final release of WM6, anyone want to take a look at it? I have no clue as to what I'd be doing.
    Don't install a WM6 ROM on your Treos, it'll brick them. Palm has been given special treatment with WM, and installing a non-Treo ROM could really mess up your Treo. I'd wait for the 750 WM6 upgrade that is rumored to be released by Palm. You are installing a major OS that was not intended for your device and will not have the Palm specific WM enhancements. I want WM6 just as bad as everyone else, but it's not worth the risk of bricking your Treo. Sprint and Verizon will not help you out if you brick your Treo with an unofficial WM6 non-Treo ROM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I have a copy of WM6 that was posted on usenet. It's for/from the TyTn. I have no delusions of being able to do anything with it on my Treo myself but I downloaded it just in case there was a need for it. I.e. if someone figured out how to rip stuff out of it but you need the source etc. Like how there's instructions here to install Threaded SMS but not the actual file.
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpyviper View Post
    I have a copy of WM6 that was posted on usenet. It's for/from the TyTn. I have no delusions of being able to do anything with it on my Treo myself but I downloaded it just in case there was a need for it. I.e. if someone figured out how to rip stuff out of it but you need the source etc. Like how there's instructions here to install Threaded SMS but not the actual file.

Dito... exactly what I did. So if anyone wants it to take a look at, let me know.
    I got a copy of it a while back and flashed my 700wx with it. Now it runs at 5HGz, it upgraded my RAM to 512MB and my screen to 320x320. My battery life has been increased to about 2 weeks now with heavy usage. I am pretty pleased with WM6 on my 700wx.

I have a copy laying around as well for the MDA I believe if needed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast