1.    #1  
    Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and the Treo. I just received my Treo 750 and I'm trying to tweek it. I really like some of the sceen shots that some of you have posted showing your today screens.

I have a couple of questions:

How do I install CAB files?

I downloaded these files into a folder on my laptop and then unzipped them; "Hidealogo", "IUTweek", "PMClean", "Today Agenda", & "Weather Bar", all from the PocketPC freeware site.

I then used "Activesync" to move them to "My Documents" on the 750. I selected "set up" to install all of these programs from the "My Documents" folder; they all appeared to install.

But, nothing is there, no programs to select from; no hidealogo on the Today preferences, etc... Make any sense? Did I install them from the wrong folder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Are you executing the CAB files from the My Documents folder within Pocket File Explorer? I assume you are seeing the actual installation of the apps?
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  3.    #3  
    Yes. I watch the set up files execute. But then I can't find the program anywhere....?

Mike
    If you go start>programs you should see some of those apps. As far as hide logo goes I don't think it installs a gui program. You just put the exe in the \Windows\StartUp folder

Leme know if that explains it.
  5.    #5  
    Bummer; nothing in the programs folder...

I searched everywhere and I can't even find a start-up folder...

any ideas on what happend or where to go from here?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Some of these programs install to the programs folders while others are strictly today plugins. Hidelogo, I use and it's a today plugin. You need to move it up on the today menu in order for it do its job. (look in settings | Today | ITEMS TAB. Some today plugins also only have config's in the today menu (Items Tab).

Sounds like you are either installing blind without reading the instructions, or something else is going on with your device altogether.

OH.. Startup folder is in the windows dir. on your device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Play-Da-Blues View Post
    Bummer; nothing in the programs folder...

I searched everywhere and I can't even find a start-up folder...

any ideas on what happend or where to go from here?

Thanks,
    Mike
    If you go start>settings>system>remove programs, are the programs you installed even listed? If not drag the cabs to the device threw activesync then tap the cab after browsing to it threw the file explorer on the PPC
  8.    #8  
    James,

I found the Start folder in Windows: Thanks.

I went to the "Uninstall" programs and none of what I installed showed up there.

Like I mentioned earlier, I used activesync to move the programs to my PPC (My Documents) and them clicked on "set up" if the program had it and watched a window open and all the files expaned and (I thought installed) and then nothing.

Even the Hidealogo isn't showing up on the Today preferences list. I even went to the My Documents folder on the Treo and copied the set up files and pasted them in the Start folder; then did the Set up again and; nothing.

None of these programs came with much direction.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Im not sure what kind of experience you have so Im going to over explain the installation process. I apologise if it is to simplistic. Most often when you download a PPC program to the desktop pc it is a desktop exe. So this means you would double click the exe file on the desktop computer while the PPC is connected to the desktop via active sync. This will produce a popup on the desktop that states something to the effect of "Please check your device to see if further steps ar required". The PPC most often will be showing a screen that allows you to install the program to the card or internal memory. You would select the desired destination and select install. It will show a screen with a progressing install bar then give you a screen that says "The program was successfully installed on your device". It will then be found when you go to start>programs or when you go start>settings>today>items. And 99% of the time it will show in the list when you go start>settings>system>remove programs.

A small percent of the time or a greater percent of the time if the program is a freebie that our fellow PDA-O-philes wipped up, the program is found on the Internet as a PPC cab. In this case you would drag and drop the cab to the device threw active sync then go start>programs>File Explorer then browse to the cab, highlight the cab, and push the center of the dpad or center of the 5way directional button. This will produce a screen asking if you would like to install the program on the device or storage card. Select the intended location and then select install. This will produce a screen that states "The program was successfully installed on your device". It will then be found when you go to start>programs or when you go start>settings>today>items. If the program is there you may check the box next to the item to allow it to display on the today screen. If the program has a settings option it is sometimes accessed while in this view by highlighting the program title and tapping options. And 99% of the time it will show in the list when you go start>settings>system>remove programs.

Some times a program will be found on the net as a PPC exe. In this case you may place the exe anywhere on the device and tapped to launch the program. Launching an exe on the PPC will sometimes launch a program producing the programs GUI but also sometimes you do not get an exe GUI. All you get is the desired response of the exe. In the case of logo hide it is an exe that is tapped on the device that immediately hides the carrier logo. The only way to know if the program was executed correctly is to go to the today screen to realize the absence of the carrier logo.

The only other situation that I can think of is of course when a program is taken from the net as a compressed file. Of course it is unzipped on the desktop. You would then find yourself in one of the situations above.

If you have any questions Lemme know, I'm happy to help.