Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    i am about to unlock a brand new treo 750 from cingular so i can use it with tmobile. anyone know if it will allow me to use mp3s as ringers or is this one of the features cingular blocks? on that note, what will i not be able to use and is there a way to debrand the 750 as of yet? thanks
    ps anyone ever used one of these unlocking methods off of ebay? success, garbage?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfizzed View Post
    i am about to unlock a brand new treo 750 from cingular so i can use it with tmobile. anyone know if it will allow me to use mp3s as ringers or is this one of the features cingular blocks? on that note, what will i not be able to use and is there a way to debrand the 750 as of yet? thanks
    ps anyone ever used one of these unlocking methods off of ebay? success, garbage?
    1. Cingular doesnt "block" the phone from using MP3s, it's the actual phone/software that does that. It doesn't use MP3s as ringtones. You can convert MP3s to Midi s using software.

2. If youre unlocking the phone, you are kind of debranding it. However it will still have some software that originally came preinstalled from Cingular/Palm.

3. There have been more than a couple of people on here that have successfully unlocked their phone using eBay "unlockers"

In essence unlocking the phone allows the user to use any SIM card, not just one specific carrier(locked version). Hope this helped
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfizzed View Post
    I recommend using GSMPhoneSource to unlock your Treo.

http://gsmphonesource.com/index.html

There are 3rd party apps that allow you to set mp3's as ringtones. One which costs money is called Ringo. You can find it here:

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=21282
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Eh? The 750 can use MP3s as ringers just fine. No additional software needed. Just browse to an .mp3 file in the Sounds menu.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    Eh? The 750 can use MP3s as ringers just fine. No additional software needed. Just browse to an .mp3 file in the Sounds menu.
    Hmmm, didnt know that. Thanks for the correction
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post

There are 3rd party apps that allow you to set mp3's as ringtones. One which costs money is called Ringo. You can find it here:

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=21282
    Why not just call Cingular and tell them you travel internationally and want to use local Intl SIM cards when abroad? I did and got my unlock code with no problem. I popped in a T-Mobile SIM card a while ago and was right on line with no issue. I have had my account for over 90 days and actually do travel quite a bit Intl so it was easy and FREE!
    I have an unlocked cingular branded 750... mp3s work fine.

just dump them under "my device > application data > sounds" and they'll show up as pickable when you go to change the ringer sounds...

easy enough.

I also used gsmphonesource.com to get the unlock code for mine (using it on tmobile).

Ordered the unlock code saturday afternoon. They emailed me the unlock code sunday morning.

You will need to look up (on this forum) how to set up mms options as well.... its not too hard. SMS works right out of the box.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    You don't have to put the MP3s any particular place. In the Sounds..Manage page, select Menu, Add... Locate the MP3 file wherever it is and tap Select. The file will get copied into a "ringers" (or something like that) folder and will be available on the pick lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    Why not just call Cingular and tell them you travel internationally and want to use local Intl SIM cards when abroad? I did and got my unlock code with no problem. I popped in a T-Mobile SIM card a while ago and was right on line with no issue. I have had my account for over 90 days and actually do travel quite a bit Intl so it was easy and FREE!
    If that works, then that would be the obvious free way to go.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
    I have an unlocked cingular branded 750... mp3s work fine.

just dump them under "my device > application data > sounds" and they'll show up as pickable when you go to change the ringer sounds...

easy enough.

I also used gsmphonesource.com to get the unlock code for mine (using it on tmobile).

Ordered the unlock code saturday afternoon. They emailed me the unlock code sunday morning.

You will need to look up (on this forum) how to set up mms options as well.... its not too hard. SMS works right out of the box.
    I have used GSMPhoneSource a few times and have had great turn around as well.
    Brian McGuire
    If that works, then that would be the obvious free way to go.
    It worked for me. In fact on of the 750's I had they gave me the unlock code while I was one the phone. I guess it depends on who you get customer service wise with Cingular.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    txschafers, I've never had Cingular give me an unlock phone over the phone instantly, but I've heard of it happening. I will say though that it took 3 times to get the correct UNLOCK code from Cingular, they gave me the same unlock code twice, but finally a few days ago they gave me the correct one and it worked. The instructions for unlocking it seem to be incorrect though. The correct thing to do is put another companies SIM card in the phone and key in the unlock code.
    I have goofed up and tried more than 5 time using incorrect codes provided by ebay unlock sellers. Is that it - is the phone now permanently locked to Cingular?
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    I got the unlock code from Cingular on Friday and successfully unlocked it on the first try.
    Note, DO NOT FOLLOW CINGULAR'S INSTRUCTIONS.
    Instead:
    1) Insert the SIM of a non-Cingular carrier and turn on the phone
    2) A screen will come up asking for the unlock code. Enter the unlock code only. Do not enter *#*#<Unlock Code># as the instructions tell you. Just enter the unlock code alone.
    I just wanted to say that thanks to everyone on here, I managed to buy a downloadable programme that unlocked my 750 for 14 when I was quoted 45 by the corner shop. Thanks guys!

Now I have a different problem though.

I am an Orange Customer. They do not support the 750. I tried to set up gprs using instructions from palm.com. Can't make it work. I don't care whose internet I am looking at. If I buy a vodafone sim and download the gprs settings, will this then work with my orange card in.
    I don't want to swap away from orange. I have a long contract ( for the free broadband) and I rather like the free cinema tickets.

So will this work or what else can anyone suggest so that I can get surfing?
    thanks
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rentawitch View Post
    I just wanted to say that thanks to everyone on here, I managed to buy a downloadable programme that unlocked my 750 for 14 when I was quoted 45 by the corner shop. Thanks guys!

Now I have a different problem though.

I am an Orange Customer. They do not support the 750. I tried to set up gprs using instructions from palm.com. Can't make it work. I don't care whose internet I am looking at. If I buy a vodafone sim and download the gprs settings, will this then work with my orange card in.
    I don't want to swap away from orange. I have a long contract ( for the free broadband) and I rather like the free cinema tickets.

So will this work or what else can anyone suggest so that I can get surfing?
    thanks

Sorry for that. I don't have a solution for you, but it is a wondring, how it doesn't work with orange while it is working with tmobile? I think you should verify the settings again with orange members, just ask them for the data required by treo such as APN, proxy, IP and so on. Don't tell them that it is a treo just ask them about the required data. At last, i got worried too, i am waiting may cingular treo 750 to be shipped from US, i am going to unlock it and use it with vodafone sim in mideast area. So, i am waiting the results of your trial.

They are the ones that I used to unlock mine. It was fast, less than 24 hours to send me the code.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by hbahaie View Post
    Sorry for that. I don't have a solution for you, but it is a wondring, how it doesn't work with orange while it is working with tmobile? I think you should verify the settings again with orange members, just ask them for the data required by treo such as APN, proxy, IP and so on. Don't tell them that it is a treo just ask them about the required data. At last, i got worried too, i am waiting may cingular treo 750 to be shipped from US, i am going to unlock it and use it with vodafone sim in mideast area. So, i am waiting the results of your trial.
    did you get a solution, i have the same problem i cant connect to the internet i have an unlocked 750 cingular phone but my service is with t-mobile do you know how to configure the phone so i can get on the internet
    I bought an unlocked treo 750 it is a cingular phone and i have service with tmobile the phone works Great i just can't get the internet to work. Does anyone know what i have to do to get the internet to work. do i have to reconfigure the phone to work with tmobile????
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I'm assuming you would have to enter T-mobile settings. For example, I have a Cingular 750, and on Cingular's network,but unlocked it. For some reason after that, I couldnt connect to the internet. So I went into the settings, and everything looked fine, until I noticed the slightest error, one of the settings were supposed to be in caps not in lower case. That solved the problem right there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast