1.    #1  
    We are just getting ready to install an exchange server to service about 100 e-mail accounts (80 desktop only, 20 desktop/mobile device users) and are wondering about the best way to get push functionality to those mobile devices along with the ability to access all the information in their exchange mailboxes. We need to have a system that is as user-friendly (user-stupid) as possible but yet will act as a fully functional e-mail client including abilities to move messages between folders, create, edit, delete any items, etc.

So my question is, what's the best route to go? Is the cost of a goodlink service worth it? Is that really the only way to get the full level of functionality that I'm trying to achieve? Or is active sync enough as long as we're running windows mobile treo's? And if we're running a palm treo then goodlink is the best route to go?

Thanks for any input you can give me.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Exchange 2003 SP2 and up supports Direct Push and OTA sync to WM5 mobiles (i.e. Treo 700w/wx, 750 etc) and PalmOS mobiles with EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) update (i.e. 700p, 680). Different mobile devices support different features, however.

This is a good FAQ for Exchange:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ctsyncfaq.mspx

I'm not familiar with Good. But it seems that what you need is already provided by Exchange w/o additional costs.

BTW, I just saw that there's a 'free' promotion going on for Good which ends the end of this month. In case your organization needs to try it here's the link: http://www.good.com/getgood/free/free.html.

Again, as of now I don't see the 'need' to use Good instead of Exchange 2003 SP2 out of the box. Good luck in your decision.
    Last edited by webedc; 03/09/2007 at 04:36 PM.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Looks like Good is getting really desperate....

Joe
    The Message Center provides both GoodLink and ActiveSync for customers...and the metrics we see (from the thousands of customers) is that it is a close match for either choice. Activesync (although free with Full Access Accounts) is better for Exchange admins as there are a few minor hurdles to overcome when installing the digital certificates and setting up the server configuration. GoodLink (although $9.95 per device) is a simple click, enter the PIN, and go. We recommend GoodLink as it is the AOL (for lack of a better term) of wireless synchronization.

I hope that helps explain what we see.
    The Message Center
    www.themessagecenter.com
    You have no excuse to not be synchronized.
    Quote Originally Posted by eskiles View Post
    We are just getting ready to install an exchange server to service about 100 e-mail accounts (80 desktop only, 20 desktop/mobile device users) and are wondering about the best way to get push functionality to those mobile devices along with the ability to access all the information in their exchange mailboxes. We need to have a system that is as user-friendly (user-stupid) as possible but yet will act as a fully functional e-mail client including abilities to move messages between folders, create, edit, delete any items, etc.

So my question is, what's the best route to go? Is the cost of a goodlink service worth it? Is that really the only way to get the full level of functionality that I'm trying to achieve? Or is active sync enough as long as we're running windows mobile treo's? And if we're running a palm treo then goodlink is the best route to go?

Thanks for any input you can give me.
    Goodlink had its heyday back when Treo users (600 and 650 - Palm OS only) wanted their devices to work and look like Outlook in their hands. Now of course that's not necessary. The 700wx IS Outlook in your hand.

One thing you may not know is that when you put Good on a device, all the native applications (contacts, calendar, tasks, notes - ALL of it) get taken over by the Good calendar, the Good contacts, the Good task list, etc. That matters when other apps (such as SMS, Google maps, any of those) look into the native databases for their data. If you look around on these forums, you'll find MANY users who lament the fact that Good takes over the device entirely, esp those who've been using the device in its native format, as it's intended to be.

One other thing - with Good, your users won't be able to attach a file to a NEW email, as they can with Pocket Outlook. In other words, if I have a bunch of Word or Excel or PDF files on my device or on my card, I can create a new email and SEND those via email to someone. Can't do that with Good. May not seem like a big deal, but once you have that ability, you'll never go back.

Good was useful for Palm back when it was just a Palm OS world, but now that WM is out, and EAS makes things so easy, Good just isn't relevant.
    One other thing to think about when looking for mobile e-mail is security. When using EAS you are responsible for securing the server(s) publishing your e-mail. With a third party app like Goodlink someone else takes on all the risk of securing the servers. You can simply setup a secure connection between your Good server and Good's servers on the Internet (i.e punch an outbound hole through your firewall). If you have the expertise inhouse to publish a Microsoft server on the Internet then EAS is a possible good solution. If you don't have that level of expertise (many think they do but most shops don't as evidenced by the fact Code Red and SQL injections are still fairly common occurrences).

Just something to think about.