Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just purchased a Jabra BT8010 and am using it with a Treo 700wx on Verizon. Here is what I can do with it so far.

-Listen to music, slingbox, or whatever sounds normally comes out of the main speaker.
    -When listening to music from Media Player I can pause or advance to next song.
    -Voice command must be activated via the phone button, but I can use that to make a call or play a song via voice commands through headset.
    -Headset displays callerid on its side.
    -Headset keeps a call log as well as an address book that can be used to place calls right from the headset.
    -Headset support vibrate feature which is pretty weird if you happen to be wearing it.
    -Normal phone functions are supported - end call, redial
    -It is able to do all of the above via single mono headset or while in stereo configuration.
    -Sounds good. Better than the headphones that come with the Treo, although I suppose that is not hard.
    -Headset is comfortable for me.

Here are two things I can't do:

-When a call comes it, the caller is not announced in headset. I noticed that if you used a wired headset it is not announced either (via VC)
    -Now this one is stupid - I don't think you can mute your call !!!

If anyone knows how to mute, please post

Thanks
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    where did you get it from?!
  3.    #3  
    It is available in the accessory store here and on other boards.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Is the mono earpiece that has the caller id screen on it as big as people keep saying? Is it really that huge?

Also, how is the mono headset as an actual headset used for conversations? How is the sound quality and any problems with people on the other end understanding what you are saying?

Thanks
  5.    #5  
    It wasn't as big as I expected. It is about the same width and thickness as the Motorola H700 and is about 1.5x the length (for the mono ear piece compared to H700 boom closed). It is about the same length as the H700 with boom open. The other side is just a little longer than the H700 (boom closed).

I have not done a lot of testing yet. The sound quality of the other party sounds good on the BT8010. The other caller said I sounded fine. They did say I sounded a little bit like I was in a cave, but I was in the garage - so I guess that could sorta be like a cave. I will have to use it over the weekend more extensively to know for sure. Overall the sound quality for what I hear is nice whether music or phone.
    I read that the BT8010 hijacks the a2dp(it stays on even when you turn it off on the headphone) and that it doesnt allow the phone to ring independently(you only hear the ringtone through the bt headset - not the phone)

Any comments on this? I'm so close to buying one but these bugs have kept me away
    You are correct .I gave up the 8010 for just that resion .I'm at a crossroads when it comes to A2DP.I may just go back to the original BT stack settings.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilanoRex View Post
    I read that the BT8010 hijacks the a2dp(it stays on even when you turn it off on the headphone) and that it doesnt allow the phone to ring independently(you only hear the ringtone through the bt headset - not the phone)

Any comments on this? I'm so close to buying one but these bugs have kept me away

Correct. Once you turn the thing on you are piping all audio through the headset whether you like or not. There does not seem to be a way to make it run in headset only mode. The button on the headset that is supposed to control this does nothing. Setting the bluetooth option in the phone also seems to do nothing.

On the other issue regarding ringing I am not sure. I have the BT8010 set to vibrate and keep it in my shirt pocket. When the phone rings both the phone and the BT8010 vibrate. I haven't paid attention to the ringer.

I still think the BT8010 is a good option though. The ability to take phone calls and listen to audio over BT is very appealing in a headset that can run just on a single ear if you want. If I don't want the phone audio to pipe over BT I just turn the headset off. I have gotten questionable results turning it back on in the middle of a call though (static, etc).

But you are right...it is not perfect... It is probably still in the science project category, but options are limited. That lack of a mute control on the headset annoys me more than these other issues.
    What made me throw it away.When you turn off headset it take 1 to 2 min for the treo A2DP to unpair at times so no ringtone,System sound was not for me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    What made me throw it away.When you turn off headset it take 1 to 2 min for the treo A2DP to unpair at times so no ringtone,System sound was not for me.
    Oh... I don't have that problem. If I turn it off and then hit the start button the device hesitates for a couple seconds and then switches back over the the main speaker.
    The 8010 needs a firmware update f,sure.Ive used the moto headphone and the sony A2DP earbuds and there was no hesataion yet audio was out of sink when viewing slingmedia so coming to the conclusion.A2DP is a dead end for me.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I'm having numerous issues with the 8010:

1. A2DP skipping;
    2. Sometimes calls do not go to headset automatically (must hit headset button to connect call) - after a call of this type, the headset icon remains after the call ends. The only way to get it to disappear and enable the headset for the next call is to power cycle the headset; and
    3. Sometimes my 700wx just freezes when the 8010 is connected (it never freezes without the headset connected).

I called Jabra support re: these issues. The tech told me he could not support it yet b/c it had not been released in the U.S. I informed him that treocentral, amazon, and numerous eBay sellers have them in stock. He said to call back around 04/15/2007, as the 8010 would be released in the states by then. He also said that Jabra went through two firmware updates for their BT800 headset before they got it working reliably with Treos (he expected the same types of issues with the BT8010).

I'm very frustrated at this point! I'm about ready to switch to a Q b/c I hear the 8010 works flawlessly with it.
  13.    #13  
    It is certainly not working perfectly. Neither does a standard bt headset. I'm going to live with this for now, since it is working well enough for me. I just keep reminding myself of the horrid bt support on my old XV6600. At least with this setup I can leave my phone on a table and work out with no wires and no static.
    The issue is most definately with the Treo. I'm using the 8010 with my Nextel i880 and its been perfect, granted I don't use it on my Treo so I can't give you any opinions on that, but this has been the best headset for me to use and I have tried more than I care to remember. Phone book has been just been plain awesome. To be able to have my phone somewhere, and I'm lying in bed, too lazy to get up, just pick up the headset and make a call is just making lazy people like me even lazier.

I had the jabra bt800 and it was bigger and wasn't as comfortable and the menu was very sluggish. Oh, if you want to know how to mute, the 8010 doesn't actually mute, but puts the caller on hold, so you actually don't hear each other. hold the answer/end button for about a second and 2 beeps later, the caller is put on hold. the bt800 just mutes where you can still hear the other person, but they can't hear you. I find the call quality to be the same as the rest.

Problem is that a lot of features of bluetooth headsets are phone dependent. it'll work better on some phones than others.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    OK - I've been doing a bit more experimentation. I notice that when the BT8010 is paired ONLY in Hands Free mode (no Wireless Stereo), calls are connected fine. As soon as I activate the Wireless Stereo profile (making both profiles active) the headset has difficulty connecting calls (even when not in Music Mode).

I think that these issues are tied to the long, high-pitched "beep" sound that the Treo makes when you initiate a call. The 8010 wants to reproduce this sound through the Wireless Stereo profile b/c it is a system sound (thus, when there is no Wireless Stereo enabled, this sound is not routed to the headset), but the headset cannot always transition over to headset mode in time to actually connect the call with the headset. You can remedy this by tapping the headset button to connect the call, but then the headset will not hang up the call, and the headset icon will remain on the Treo indefinitely after ending the call using the Treo's End key, requiring a power cycle of the headset to set things right again.

So, is there anyway to disable that "beep" sound at the beginning of a call to give the 8010 an easier time?

Even though I'm still hsaing skipping issues, this would make this headset a lot more usable while we wait (hopefully) for updated firmware.

Thanks,
    Davin
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    No one has any wisdom re: this? Hannip?
    Sorry, been busy. I think I've seen other people disable that beep. If I find it I'll post here.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=135714
    Last edited by hannip; 03/23/2007 at 10:04 AM.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Sorry, been busy. I think I've seen other people disable that beep. If I find it I'll post here.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=135714
    Thanks very much for the info; however, I'm not very comfortable editing the registry. Any way we could get a mortscript to change this value to nosound.mid?

Also, have you noticed problems connecting calls with your 8010 and wx?

Thanks,
    Davin
    As requested.

Code:
    #
    # DialNoSound - Replaces dial and end call sound to no sound.
    #

#DefaultSound = "dpadctl.mid"
    NoSound = "No Sound.mid"

RegWriteString("HKCU", "ControlPanel\Sounds\Dialing", "Sound", NoSound )
    RegWriteString("HKCU", "ControlPanel\Sounds\Ending", "Sound", NoSound )

Message("Dialing and Ending sound now set to No Sound.mid")
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Thanks hannip!!! You are the man!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast