Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Quick question. I was under the impression that when I purchased the 750 it had 3G access. I realize the phone has GPRS/UMTS access and understand that it cannot access the coveted HSDPA. However, I'm a little confused. Does this mean my Cingular 750 cannot really reach 3G speeds? Isn't this false advertising?! I live in Portland Maine and we currently do not have 3G towers anyway.. HOWEVER, Boston (1.5 hours away) does have it and I'm told Portland will by the end of 2007.

Grrrrr.., very frustrated and confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquayonex View Post
    Quick question. I was under the impression that when I purchased the 750 it had 3G access. I realize the phone has GPRS/UMTS access and understand that it cannot access the coveted HSDPA. However, I'm a little confused. Does this mean my Cingular 750 cannot really reach 3G speeds? Isn't this false advertising?! I live in Portland Maine and we currently do not have 3G towers anyway.. HOWEVER, Boston (1.5 hours away) does have it and I'm told Portland will by the end of 2007.

Grrrrr.., very frustrated and confused.
    UMTS is 3G, just not as fast as HSDPA, which the 750 can do, if you take the time to apply a hack.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  3.    #3  
    Is it just me or does that seem really crazy/stupid on the part of Palm and/or Cingular. If the phone has the technology, why in the world would they want to limit it by not offering HSPDA?
    Last edited by aquayonex; 03/08/2007 at 10:14 AM.
    Is it just me or does that seem really crazy/stupid on the part of Palm and/or Cingular
    No its not you

They are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by cam05 View Post
    No its not you

They are stupid
    Actually, they were not. They Palm/Cingular wanted to get the 750 out ASAP. Basically the 750 is a 750v with just Cingular's crap on it. From a system perspective the 750v didn't have HSDPA ready to go when it was released months ago.

As the HSDPA hack shows, the 750 radio is capable of receiving/processing the HSDPA signal.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by JGold View Post
    Actually, they were not. They Palm/Cingular wanted to get the 750 out ASAP. Basically the 750 is a 750v with just Cingular's crap on it. From a system perspective the 750v didn't have HSDPA ready to go when it was released months ago.

As the HSDPA hack shows, the 750 radio is capable of receiving/processing the HSDPA signal.
    So what about those non-technical folks who don't want to mess around with hacks? Will Palm/Cingular have an update people can just run?
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Who knows, its like answering the question of, "Are the current treo 750 owners going to be able to update to WM6?" I personally, havent heard any news on Cingular/Palm releasing the HSDPA official update
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    So what about those non-technical folks who don't want to mess around with hacks? Will Palm/Cingular have an update people can just run?
    Yes. It's called 760, runs windows mobile 6, and will cost you another $699.
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    Yes. It's called 760, runs windows mobile 6, and will cost you another $699.
    Yeah it is kind of stupid. But we made it a bit wiser. Follow this link and download program to your device. Run the program from your device, soft reset a couple times. Bingo Bango Bongo you got HSPDA. To heck with Cingy/ATT/Cingy/ATT or whatever they call themselves these days.

http://urprey.com/treo/750hsdpahackv2.cab
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    Yeah it is kind of stupid. But we made it a bit wiser. Follow this link and download program to your device. Run the program from your device, soft reset a couple times. Bingo Bango Bongo you got HSPDA. To heck with Cingy/ATT/Cingy/ATT or whatever they call themselves these days.

Don't forget that you need to wait some time so that the phone sync's up with the HSDPA signal. The first time I applied the hack, I had to wait well over an hour before the HSDPA speeds came through.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post

Is this a stable hack? Anyone experiencing any problems with it? I just got my 750 and have not added any apps to it yet. I was happy with the 3G speeds over from the 680 that I have but saw this thread and thought I'd give it a try.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    does it make any difference in denmark?
    Probably not. HSDPA is not widely available yet in Europe. Atleast not to my knowledge.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies View Post
    Is this a stable hack? Anyone experiencing any problems with it? I just got my 750 and have not added any apps to it yet. I was happy with the 3G speeds over from the 680 that I have but saw this thread and thought I'd give it a try.
    Yes, it is stable. Very easy to install and remove.
    Is HSDPA widely available in the US?
    Also is there any indication on the top of the screen that lets you know you're on the faster network?
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts
    No, there is no indication. The U icon remains, you have to test the speed of the device to know for sure (you can do this on some internet websites).

Also, Cingular states on its sales page for the Treo 750 that it will be HSDPA compatible with a future upgrade.

Technical Specs
    Weight: 5.4 ounces
    Dimensions: 4.4 x 2.3 x.8 inches
    Talk Time: Up to 4.5 hours GSM; 2.5 hours UMTS
    Standby Time: Up to 15 days
    Samsung 300 MHz processor
    128 MB ROM / 64MB RAM - 60 MB user available
    MiniSD(TM) expansion card slot - supports up to 2 GB
    Bright 240 x 240 65K color touchscreen
    Microsoft Windows® Mobile 5.0 operating system
    Tri-band UMTS, upgradeable to support HSDPA in 2007
    Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE - 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    Security features include remote device wipe and S/MIME
    I haven't tested the speeds yet with dslreports but it is faster, almost instant. Very cool. Thanks for the help on this.
    Glad to help. Unfortunately if we don't share the knowledge I think we're fairly well screwed. Cingy isn't watching out for us.
    As well as the speed you will also notice a significant decrease in battery life. I tend to keep mine switched off for most of the time (phone settings > services> band selection > GSM) otherwise the phone barely makes it throught the day.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast