Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Same issue as with WX #1; Radio will not turn on. I see the WELCOME screen which seems to hang longer than normal, and then I see the Today Screen as I should but the radio is not turned on. I tried soft resetting a dozen times. I returned it to the local VZW store for WX #3. Is it possible that one of my apps be frying the radio? Phone Alarm perhaps?
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    It sounds like you might be doing something to fry the phone. Did you try a hard reset and see if that works?
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by houdini13 View Post
    It sounds like you might be doing something to fry the phone. Did you try a hard reset and see if that works?
    No, I did not Hard Reset. I had the W for almost 1 year and this never happened. The only software that I use on the WX that I did not use on the W is PhoneAlarm. How the heck does one fry a phone anyway? I'm not using anything out of the ordinary, software wise.
    Last edited by robdam; 03/07/2007 at 04:53 PM.
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    for someone so excited for the 700wx its sad to see how much you now hate it

just some fuel for the fire: i too am on my second 700wx because my reception was between 0-2 bars where i should have been getting 5. I never had issues with reception on the 700w. they replaced it...interestingly the phone worked out of the box, the first one that is, and then the phone part stopped working..

my theory: the antenna is being dislodged somehow...that would be why i just barely got reception in a 5 bar area....they wouldn't let me test as they don't do any work on the phones in the store and there is now a red dot over the screw for the antenna..... oh palm

i don't think its software robdam...its hardware imho GOOD LUCK!
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mkjellman View Post
    for someone so excited for the 700wx its sad to see how much you now hate it

just some fuel for the fire: i too am on my second 700wx because my reception was between 0-2 bars where i should have been getting 5. I never had issues with reception on the 700w. they replaced it...interestingly the phone worked out of the box, the first one that is, and then the phone part stopped working..

my theory: the antenna is being dislodged somehow...that would be why i just barely got reception in a 5 bar area....they wouldn't let me test as they don't do any work on the phones in the store and there is now a red dot over the screw for the antenna..... oh palm

i don't think its software robdam...its hardware imho GOOD LUCK!
    I don't hate the WX at all..I love it, I just wish they would stop crapping out on me!
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    first off the wx radio is off after a hardreset. this is how it comes out of the box. you have to press and hold the red phone key to turn radio on. just for those who didn't know.

second, phone alarm is a very powerful app. you really must read the in's and out's to realy get the set up right. you very well could have had a "radio off" in one of the profiles you were using.

I hate to here people running down to get a new phone everytime something goes wrong. specially when they didn't even try a hard reset first. there really is only need for hardware replacements. 90% of the people complaining about software problem can be fixed with a hard reset and proper use of the software. I am saying this cause I have done it. when you have the same problem on a different unit right of the bat. think about it. it's things like this that raise rates on insurance and give higher deductibles.

cody

this is not directed to you robdam. this is for everyone on this site, who wants to take there devices past the normal casual user set up. the first thing you need to learn before "what are the good app and hacks" is how to backup and hard reset. how to get out of trouble and back to normal.
    Last edited by codyppc; 03/07/2007 at 06:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    it's things like this that raise rates on insurance and give higher deductibles.

cody
    Wow, I beg to differ on your last remark Cody. It's more like intentionally filing false claims or straight up lying to get a new phone that would cause rates to increase. I asked the rep at the VZW zstore if we should go the Hard reset route to which he replied, "Why bother? Here's a new WX". Do you REALLY think VZW wants it's users randomly doing hard resets? VZW will more than likely hard reset the phone and if that fixes the issue then they'll use it as a refurb. Lastly, I have been using the default Home Profile for PhoneAlarm..I checked the settings there are verified that PA thought the radio was "on". toggled the setting, no dice.
    Last edited by robdam; 03/07/2007 at 09:33 PM.
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by robdam View Post
    Wow, I beg to differ on your last remark Cody. It's more like intentionally filing false claims or straight up lying to get a new phone that would cause rates to increase. VZW will more than likely hard reset the phone and if that fixes the issue then they'll use it as a refurb. Lastly, I have been using the default Home Profile for PhoneAlarm..I checked the settings there are verified that PA thought the radio was "on". toggled the setting, no dice.

the phone will go back to palm first do to how new it is. then thay will spend time on it resesting it beyond what we call a hard reset. thay will reset everything down to programing info (msid, msn, ect) then reset the timers, enter in the refub date, change the housing, repackage, ect. there is a cost of all this.

i'm not arguing that there wasn't anything wrong with your phone. you know better than I. and as far as i'm concerned, if version didn't want to try and fix it with maybe a hard reset then that's there fault.

I am just saying that almost everthing software related can be fixed with a hard reset. that is, if the phone worked great before you started loaded all the 3rd party stuff, then it will work again when you remove it all. provining it is removed properly (hard reset)
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    ****Also, I uninstalled PhoneAlarm before "running" to the VZW store and that did not have any effect. Obviously, if this happens a 3rd time it's something that I am doing. 3 strikes and I'm OUT!
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    I swear phone alarm killed my first WX.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    cody: i havn't actually seen this phone, but as a 700w user that now has had 2 700wx's because reception was bad with the hardware, I can see this as plausible.

I think robdam has been around here enough to know how to turn the network back on, and i bet VZW reps at the store would have tried something so trivial

had this been jo shmo, maybe, but to defend the build quality of these phones as always being related to 3rd party software is childish.

[/end rant]
    In defense to everyone in here. I can understand about getting two bad lemon phones although it has never happened to me there is still a chance it could happen. Short story last month I purchased a NEW car and the engine somehow seized up mind you a new car had the car towed back to dealer and they gave me another brand new car same make and model, two days later it broke down on me and had the car towed again talked to the dealership and they gave me a third car same make same model and took 2500 off my loan. The moral here is yes it could happen in a short period of time, a month ago i would've told you unlikely but now with my car experience anything can happen. As far as software I run phonealarm on my vz wx and never had a problem. Also on a side note wasn't the wx delayed because of problems maybe they havent got all the bugs worked out.
    No more Tilt for me came back and got the Treo Pro.
    Yeah there is a chance that he got 2 lemons in a row...but not even trying a hard reset makes my brain want to explode.

Who wants to bet that robdam's 3rd phone will do the exact same thing after he installs the various software in the same way he did #1 and #2? lmao
    no offense robman, but I bet it will. if you install EVERTHING THE SAME.

phonealarm is one of those programs that doesn't uninstall very well. it makes a lot of changes to the reg.

that why, I as well as many others, say before installing something, backup. infact it's best to hadrest before restoring from backup. I can hard reset and restore from backup in about 12-15 minutes. I don't know why it's seems so hard for others.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

phonealarm is one of those programs that doesn't uninstall very well. it makes a lot of changes to the reg.

that why, I as well as many others, say before installing something, backup. infact it's best to hadrest before restoring from backup. I can hard reset and restore from backup in about 12-15 minutes. I don't know why it's seems so hard for others.
    It's not hard, I just don't think that a phone should fail after 1 or 2 weeks of normal usage. I'm not tweaking the hell out of this thing. We should not HAVE to hard reset these things. And, if my 3rd WX fails I WILL hard reset it an prolly dump PhoneAlarm and then sue the fuggers.
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    I agree.....you SHOULD hard reset before taking it to a store for replacement.

I've never back'd-up or really had to hard reset before. I started playing around with the new bluetooth stack so I downloaded sprite backup before hand. I did a hard reset(no backup). Installed only critical applications(threaded messages, GPS, Resco etc.). Then I did a backup of that clean install. OMG has that program been a life saver. Now whenever I screw things up, it takes 5 minutes to restore back to a clean install state. I never lose my calendar or contacts because wireless sync restores them instantly. It's so easy, and so fast, I can't believe I never used it before. I probably wouldn't be screwing up the phone(700w) as much if it had more memory on it and A2DP like it should. But what are ya gonna do. I'm gonna try and hold out for the next Verizon Treo unless they will upgrade me for free to the WX.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtravbx View Post
    I swear phone alarm killed my first WX.
    Why do you think that?
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

I leave PhoneAlarm on the default "Home Profile". I do not change profiles EVER. How could PA then just suddenly decide to permanently turn my radio off? I honestly hope that it is PA or some other app that I have installed that is wreaking havoc on my phones and not (2) wx/Lemons.
    Treo 700WX - VZW
    DAMN Robdam, I hope all goes well. It is hard to imagine it was phonealarm. Maybe the dood from your siggy is pissed at you and sneaking in at night and jacking your phone up!
    Treo 750, at&t wireless.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast