1.    #1  
    Ok, so on my old 700w, I would replace the automatic DNS servers under the broadband settings to

and
    alternate to 4.2.2.1

It worked great.

On my new 700wx, it still works great, but it does not "stick" after a soft reset. So every day as my backup program reboots the machine it goes back to having automatic DNS checked and my servers disappear.

Anyone else noticed this? What could be causing the settings not to stay?
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Two goods posts to start out the day, levinda. I'll wait to hear the "experts" comments on your other post: (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=138563

As for the DNS issue, I kid you not, I had a note to look into this today. I'm having the exact same issue with my new WX.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    And it's not just a reboot issue. If I turn the phone off (flight mode) and back on, it re-writes them as well.
    I don't know if this would solve the problem, but you could try creating a duplicate profile with the Verizon DNS and set it as the default. I believe I read that fixed the issues on other WM5 devices on Verizon somewhere. Luckily my Sprint 700wx keeps its settings.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I've heard the same issue over the past few weeks. I've been using openDNS but after a soft reset it reverts back to the original settings.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    I don't know if this would solve the problem, but you could try creating a duplicate profile with the Verizon DNS and set it as the default. I believe I read that fixed the issues on other WM5 devices on Verizon somewhere. Luckily my Sprint 700wx keeps its settings.
    I set up a new connection, which is identical to the "Broadband Access" connection except for the DNS servers.

The good news - connection I created stayed after a reset and server settings stayed for the connection as well

The bad news - A third connection choice called "Auto Pick" was created! It appears to always pick the original "Broadband Access" connection to dial up. So I would still have to go to connections every time I soft reset and check the box for the one I created!

So how might we be able to get rid of "Auto Pick" or force my new connection to be the default one picked?
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    After a little googling, the DNS settings are saved in the registry at HKLM\Comm\Cellular Line\Parms\TcpIp in a key calls "DNS". This is valid on my Sprint 700wx, but you should check to see if yours is in the same registry location. You could set something up to update the registry key on bootup to the DNS servers of your choice. Mortscript comes to mind...you may check in that forum to see if they could help you on that.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    After a little googling, the DNS settings are saved in the registry at HKLM\Comm\Cellular Line\Parms\TcpIp in a key calls "DNS". This is valid on my Sprint 700wx, but you should check to see if yours is in the same registry location. You could set something up to update the registry key on bootup to the DNS servers of your choice. Mortscript comes to mind...you may check in that forum to see if they could help you on that.
    I think this worked Strohs! I changed the registry key to the value I wanted. Then I soft reset using a utility (not thr hole) to make sure the setting "stuck".

Now it still connects using the default IP address, but we have changed the deafult address to what we want!

No Mortscript needed, although that approach would also work. (I do use other scripts though.)
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Works here as well. Thanks stroths!
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    What benefit does this provide?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    What benefit does this provide?
    Basically, there are three steps to connecting and opening a web page:

1) Connection - dialing up the modem connection "Connecting"

2) Finding the page "Locating"

3) Opening the page "Opening"

This hack makes (2) above faster, because it uses servers with more capacity to locate the page.

(1) and (3) are not affected
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    Basically, there are three steps to connecting and opening a web page:

1) Connection - dialing up the modem connection "Connecting"

2) Finding the page "Locating"

3) Opening the page "Opening"

This hack makes (2) above faster, because it uses servers with more capacity to locate the page.

(1) and (3) are not affected

Interesting. I just tried those settings and the "Locating" step took much longer than with the default settings.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
    Interesting. I just tried those settings and the "Locating" step took much longer than with the default settings.
    Hmm. Don't know what to say. Mine is basically instantaneous with the new DNS servers (just like it was on my 700w), where before on the default servers it took 1-3 seconds.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    That's cool, on the vzwQ we have to change the same registry key but it just won't stick

As for mortscript, that solution is half&half. The value in the registry is a multi-line string and mort doesn't support that, I think, I wasn't able to come up with anything in the documentation. You can send it a single string value of "4.2.2.2" and that works, it just doesn't have the alternate. I doubt it ever has to reach for the alternate though.