Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A user on avsforums.com posted this the other day:

"I got a call from Verizon Wireless today and they said they're upgrading my Pocket PC to Windows Mobile 6 for free instead of making me pay for a brand new device when it hits stores in 3 months."

Anyone else hear anything like this? I PMed him to get more details about what phone he has and the who what when where.

UPDATE: Finally got an update from the user on AVS and it wasn't true.
    Last edited by houdini13; 03/14/2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    Well if that's true, then

a) I'm speechless

b) someone better be dumping that rom right quick

c) yay
    END OF LINE
    That would be sweet, but I suspect the OP from the other board was a troll.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I think by the Law of Nature, it is highly unnatural and against Newton's 3 billionth law of Consumer Cripplage, for Verizon to give anything for free.

.....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    VZW would not give anything away, but Cingy would. Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Just kidding. Perhaps VZW forgot to mention the $199 handing fee? And the fact that you will be upgraded to the new WM6 data plan? And the 320 x 320 color screen surcharge? And they forgot the QWERTY government-mandated fee on your monthly bill? And oh yes. Did you want send AND receive data? That will be extra.
    Verizon did offer an upgrade to Samsung i730 customers to take them from WM 2003 to WM 5. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope yet
    I was blown away when Verizon exchanged my year old 700w for a 700wx for free.
    can you post the actual link to the forum I would like to see the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfeezie View Post
    Verizon did offer an upgrade to Samsung i730 customers to take them from WM 2003 to WM 5. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope yet
    This went across my mind when reading this thread. It is possible. Besides A2DP out of the box, VZW's 700wx didn't offer anything over Sprint's. I'm guessing that Sprint if offers an upgrade, VZW will be forced to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
    This went across my mind when reading this thread. It is possible. Besides A2DP out of the box, VZW's 700wx didn't offer anything over Sprint's. I'm guessing that Sprint if offers an upgrade, VZW will be forced to do the same.
    This of course, is assuming that there would be no issues with throwing the new rom onto our existing devices. And also assuming that the carriers don't want to bleed us dry for every last red cent we have.

That was the idea, no?

I should shut up. I'm part of the problem, with my undying new-gadget fetish.
    END OF LINE
    Quote Originally Posted by capteeou View Post
    I was blown away when Verizon exchanged my year old 700w for a 700wx for free.
    How did you manage to pull that off? I bought my 700w the day it came out, and I think it's obsurd that I should pay another $500 just have the extra memory that should have came with it in the first place.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    yeah, i mean everyone gives VZW a lot of **** around here but to be honest, if i ever have an issue, they give me a new device almost no questions asked.

I was also switched free of charge to a 700wx. I think they do have the best intentions of the customer in mind, but to make sure they have the "best network" they need money...

don't think that churn rates and general reliability of a service doesn't start with money

if VZW thinks that there are enough benifits in reliability with the WM6 update, I think they will do it...so far I haven't heard to much in terms of difference other than an HTML email application and a semi-interface change...if however the phone layer has been rewritten, VZW may see it as beneficial to them...fix what you started

and yes they did upgrade the Samsung from 2003SE to WM5 (yet their website still lists the phone as 2003SE..)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkjellman View Post
    yeah, i mean everyone gives VZW a lot of **** around here but to be honest, if i ever have an issue, they give me a new device almost no questions asked.

I was also switched free of charge to a 700wx. I think they do have the best intentions of the customer in mind, but to make sure they have the "best network" they need money...

don't think that churn rates and general reliability of a service doesn't start with money

if VZW thinks that there are enough benifits in reliability with the WM6 update, I think they will do it...so far I haven't heard to much in terms of difference other than an HTML email application and a semi-interface change...if however the phone layer has been rewritten, VZW may see it as beneficial to them...fix what you started

and yes they did upgrade the Samsung from 2003SE to WM5 (yet their website still lists the phone as 2003SE..)
    I really do think that Verizon is THE best cell phone carrier and i will never leave them. For every 1 thing they do wrong there's atleast 2 they do right. The who V710 debacle left a bad taste in my mouth, but I got over it.(Also, if anyone wants to know, I work for one their competitors too.)I'm positive I could bring my 700w in anytime and get another one, but I really want a 700wx in return and I imagine they would be very reluctant to do that. If they're willing to invest money into upgrading the OS, it would be because they can make more money from it. They probably have a new program in the works to allow Windows Mobile 6 to access VCAST. What problems did you complain about to get the free upgrade to the 700wx?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawmen23 View Post
    How did you manage to pull that off? I bought my 700w the day it came out, and I think it's obsurd that I should pay another $500 just have the extra memory that should have came with it in the first place.
    I was on my fourth "W" due to a variety of issues. I called and complained about the call waiting feature not working properly on my "W" and asked if they would exchange my W for a WX. The rep said yes but had to get supervisor approval. He came back five minutes later and sent me a WX. I called my buddy who was on his third W and he got a WX for free as well. I think as long as your W has been replaced a number of times it won't be hard to change it out.
    Guys - will the Treo even handle WM6?

If not, it's a moot point at best, and you can trade stories about how good/bad VZW is on an individual level ad infinitum...
    END OF LINE
    Quote Originally Posted by capteeou View Post
    I was on my fourth "W" due to a variety of issues. I called and complained about the call waiting feature not working properly on my "W" and asked if they would exchange my W for a WX. The rep said yes but had to get supervisor approval. He came back five minutes later and sent me a WX. I called my buddy who was on his third W and he got a WX for free as well. I think as long as your W has been replaced a number of times it won't be hard to change it out.
    The call waiting works correctly on the wx?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    i also was on my 4th 700w so they swapped it out pretty easy...about 3 hours of work on my part just trying to get to the right customer service guy...wdts won't tell you what you want to hear

it fixes the DST network bug (THANK GOD) and call waiting seems better...a variety of bug fixes on the WX, that honestly, they could have bundled into a bug fix for the w and i would have been happy...
    AVSforums?

That is one of the few forums around that has more geeks than TC!
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    Guys - will the Treo even handle WM6?

If not, it's a moot point at best, and you can trade stories about how good/bad VZW is on an individual level ad infinitum...
    Why woudlen't it?

There are leaked photos of it running on the 750, so I would say the answer is a definite "yes"
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    I'll be happily surprised if VZW offers an upgrade but I definitely think that if Sprint does VZW will follow suit. I agree with what others have said about VZW great service in every regard other than from the billing department LOL

If they do offer an upgrade you can bet it'll cost us.

Anyone remember if the Samsung upgrade cost anything?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast