Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm fed up with my 700P. I probably have a bad device, but I know some of the problems are common. Am I better off going to the 700W, WX, the Q, or something else?

Here are the problems in order of annoyance. There is more but I'll leave it at this. Also, couple of things to note. Verizon Service. The ONLY 3rd party software on here is Goodlink. I don't use anything else.

1) phone lags - the end call and voicemail buttons are on the same parts of the screen, so you end up hitting end call a few times (due to the lag) and it calls voicemail.

2) hangs at least once a week, requiring me to hit the reset button (this is the biggest issue. A phone should be be 99.9% reliable!). There is no discernable pattern here.

3) bluetooth unpairs frequently and often will not re-pair unless a pin is entered.

4) when there's an incoming call and you swap over, even though the original caller hangs up, it still shows that line is active. I believe minutes are still being used though no caller is on the other end.

My Verizon rep has offered me a free replacement with any phone that I want. Please advise.
    A 700WX should cure (1), (3) and(4), but it may still require resets depending upon what extra software you install. So far, it has been somewhat less stable than my Treo 650 was, but, in truth I am still playing with it and all problems are likely caused by third-party software. Still, it's very disappointing that I did not get increased stability of the device.

This, of course, will be true with any WM5 device, I think.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I have been using my first Treo 700wx for the past couple of days. I have installed 10+ programs, uninstalled ones I did not like. I love it so far. No resets, lockups or anything and I have been using it hard.

I do notice that my laptop will maintain a connection but Windows Mobile Device Center for Vista will show not connected, but I just have to choose the connection again in Activesync and all is good.

I did not like the Q when I looked at it, and hear stories of poor battery life as well.

I am a happy former Blackberry user.
    I've had W, P, Q, 6700, 830 & BB.
    (hated the Q and 6700)

The WX is my favorite so far, but its not perfect. I rarely have to soft reset, usually only after installing a bad 3rd party program. I use WX with an exchange server and it works great.
    I can't imagine worklife without this phone, I don't carry my laptop anymore.
    I have had a 700p, a Q, and now i am on a WX and the WX has been great to me so far.
    I came over from a 700p as well... jump ship on the P... you won't regret it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    A 700WX should cure (1), (3) and(4), but it may still require resets depending upon what extra software you install. So far, it has been somewhat less stable than my Treo 650 was, but, in truth I am still playing with it and all problems are likely caused by third-party software. Still, it's very disappointing that I did not get increased stability of the device.

This, of course, will be true with any WM5 device, I think.
    *should cure* or *will cure*? Does the device dial, disconnect, mute, unmute instantly? I'm not too concerned about 3rd party sw. I only install one, Goodlink. Nothing else.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    I've had W, P, Q, 6700, 830 & BB.
    (hated the Q and 6700)

The WX is my favorite so far, but its not perfect. I rarely have to soft reset, usually only after installing a bad 3rd party program. I use WX with an exchange server and it works great.
    I can't imagine worklife without this phone, I don't carry my laptop anymore.
    Why did you hate the Q? Do you have better responsiveness (less lag) between the 700P and the WX?

Thanks!
    I would ditch good, why go through a conduit when you interact directly with the server? (Assuming your company runs SBS or Exchange 2003 SP2)

The Q has the best bluetooth implementation by far. It is also by far the best sounding phone-both from the handset and speakerphone. The battery is not as good as the treos, but will get a heavy user through a business day post hacks. (7 or so battery related hacks now on the Q, most of which are registry). The OS is limiting if you are accustomed to wm5 PE.

Logically it makes no sense to go to a w over a wx. So the W should be out. The 6700 is 2 years old, and feels it. Plus, if you are accustomed to the exposed keypad, 6700 will drive you crazy.

The WX and the Q are both great devices IMO.

The Q is the best phone, has a killer form factor, and kick *** screen.

The treo has the robust os and superior battery.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    The Q
    I really wanted this phone to work because of its size and "cool" factor, but after using it I just couldn't keep it..

I thought it was a little uncomfortable to use and hold, the battery life was terrible and the extended battery and cover changed the shape and size of the phone considerably.
    I didn't realize how much I used a touchscreen until I didn't have one, I did not like the smartphone software, it is a scaled down version of WM5 and I am a heavy user of the apps on the WX.
    People I was talking to said it sounded odd to them.
    If I only used it as a phone and checked a few emails, it might work out.
    I know some guys that have the phone and like it, just wasn't for me..
    Orisky,
    I really liked my 700P, with some extra software, had it working great.
    I used the WX and P side by side for a month to make a decision, I wish we could combine the good points from the P-WX, that would be the perfect phone.

I thought the P was a good phone, but for a corporate user, the Microsoft Exchange and MS apps work flawless together, that makes the WX a better phone for us, plus I am a big fan of Exchange.

Also the ability to multi-task is something you get used to quickly. Working on complicated documents or websites on the P and have the phone ring is very frustrating, on the WX its no problem.

There are still things I would like to change on the WX, but for me its the best so far. Having said that, I am always looking for the best phone / PDA available..
    Quote Originally Posted by orisky View Post
    I\'m fed up with my 700P. I probably have a bad device, but I know some of the problems are common. Am I better off going to the 700W, WX, the Q, or something else?

Here are the problems in order of annoyance. There is more but I\'ll leave it at this. Also, couple of things to note. Verizon Service. The ONLY 3rd party software on here is Goodlink. I don\'t use anything else.

1) phone lags - the end call and voicemail buttons are on the same parts of the screen, so you end up hitting end call a few times (due to the lag) and it calls voicemail.

2) hangs at least once a week, requiring me to hit the reset button (this is the biggest issue. A phone should be be 99.9% reliable!). There is no discernable pattern here.

3) bluetooth unpairs frequently and often will not re-pair unless a pin is entered.

4) when there\'s an incoming call and you swap over, even though the original caller hangs up, it still shows that line is active. I believe minutes are still being used though no caller is on the other end.

My Verizon rep has offered me a free replacement with any phone that I want. Please advise.
    1. WM5 devices have more lag, so get ready for it.
    2. WM5 devices also need to be reset periodically. You won\'t notice a huge change.
    3. The WX has the same problem but the new BT stack is supposed to help. You have to load that on yourself.
    4. Search. Minutes are not being used. Welcome to the CDMA world.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    yeah as a user who went from a 6700 >> 700w >> 700wx i don't have to much to tell you between the 700p and other devices. I can however tell you that the 700wx on verizon is the best out of all of the phones. I have yet to hear any positive feedback from people about the Q....Yeah, it looks good, but is a moto.

I think overall I am going to be getting the 8820 when it comes to Verizon because WM5 isn't all its cracked up to be. Don't think that switching is going to solve your problems. Resetting 1 time per week is good for me...i'm 2-3 times a week (with very few 3rd party software installed and none of those hook into the os)

so, i would recommend at this time, given the phones VZW offers you go with the 700wx...its the best of what they have to offer, no, its far from perfect (i'm already on my 2nd 700wx) but i think your going to have better luck with it than your 700p
  14.    #14  
    Now i'm confused... Some replies are saying that the 700WX has no lag. Others are saying that anything with WM5 has lag. What's the real story? The lag is THE biggest issue I have with the 700P.
    The real story is that everyone has different software on their devices that affect the UI on the device, making it seem faster or slower.

On a clean WX, there is very little lag. The only time you will see it is when opening applications for the first time. After the apps are in RAM- They open instanteously. Again, this is on a clean device.

Load it up with a bunch of poorly programed 3rd party software and ymmv.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    A clean 700p has less lag than a clean 700wx, ESPECIALLY when opening programs. PalmOS is much faster than WM5. Stay away from the Q since it has a ton of lag. Registry hacks will help but that thing misses keypresses like crazy.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    orisky: your asking for the "perfect" phone...and so far it doesn't exist and its definitely not on verizon. i have heard even the business nokia phones have "lag"

i think a generic WM5 vs a Palm OS model may have more "lag" out of the box, but the WM5 can do more and generally do it better....

microsoft needs to clean up their code base a bit. generally the phone works well...when i click on email i get it...however every once and a while (i have had this issue on over 14 pocketpc devices now) the power button will not turn on the device...either you wait 5 seconds and then press or sometimes it needs a soft reset. Little things like this make the phone aggravating. My main gripes with the 700w have been fixed with the 700wx however...it does does DST and network timezones correctly, the phone app seems cleaner, the bluetooth stack is somewhat better (def. better than the 700p stack), activesync is getting my folders too, my events not have the correct timezone information, there is more ram and applications don't crash as often...these are a few "fixes" VZW fixed with the 700wx.

i don't think people are trying to confuse you...there is no simple answer...it comes down to this

if you like the 700p form factor but don't like the phone right now, you have one option, the 700wx.....your going to have to live with its quirks..a blackberry may be more "reliable" but you will loose a lot of functionality in the process..(no camera, no touch screen, no nice fonts, no PocketIE, no Word, no Excel, no slingplayer, no activesync functionality, however BB may be better)

i think your looking for the magic answer and no one has it for you. i would recommend you go into the store and use them for a while...bring an SD card and pop it in...see how it responds to playing music while browsing the internet and then make a call...no one has the same experience so its up to you however i doubt many WM5 users would ever go to the 700p from the 700wx, it seems people only come the other way.

p.s. some people like the samsung that verizon has however they don't even show it in the store anymore but it is online. I hated the keyboard when I tried it out, so it wasn't the device for me. it also hasn't been updated other than the initial 2003SE to WM5 update VZW made for it...its one more option you have. generally however i would steer clear from the samsung and the moto q...the XV6700 (i had 3 of these but prior to the first update VZW made) and hated this device as well...even with the update my close friends who i see with the phone always complain that the lag when the phone switches from landscape to portrait (every time you slide out the keyboard) is almost unbearable. plus the phone frequently gets stuck "dialing" and never completes the call...From personal experiences alone steer clear of the XV6700...
    Last edited by mkjellman; 03/06/2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I'd suggest to get a loaner from Palm and compare. I have a 700w loaner (they don't have Verizon 700wx for the loaner program yet) and I'm in the midst of comparing and testing it with my 700p. Good luck.

Here's the URL for the loaner program: http://www.viennachannels.com/loginpage.php?P=dev
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    applications load a little bit slower than on the 700p, but as someone mentioned, if they're loaded, it's instant.

I had the 700P, and I know the lag that exists on that platform. Sometimes Blazer takes 2 minutes being stuck on a white screen, my GF's 700p freezes when she sends an SMS, the phone app is laggy (some say versamail causes this, I don't care, it blows and it comes back randomly).. etc. What I'm trying to get at is these kinds of lagging don't occur in the 700wx. There are big problems in the 700P and it's been such a long time since it was released, without a fix, that it appears the problems are deep.

BT is no safe bet, and it usually comes down to the device so you might want to find out what others have experienced with that specific model. On the Q it will probably work though.
    [QUOTE=nsxprime;1213766]A clean 700p has less lag than a clean 700wx, ESPECIALLY when opening programs. PalmOS is much faster than WM5. QUOTE]

It is a 10 yeard old OS running on current hardware. It should be quick. If the OS was capable of getting into any cpu intensive environments the story would change.

Regardless, once the apps is in RAM on the wx, it will open instantaneously. PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Stay away from the Q since it has a ton of lag. Registry hacks will help but that thing misses keypresses like crazy.
    Start>settings>accessibility>multipress timout= no auto advance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast