Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ive managed to get the WM6 emulator up and running, and I thought some of you would like to see some 320x320 screen shots. I would have put this thread in the future Treo section, but unfortunately it does not support pictures.

Today screen

Pocket Outlook

Interestingly, despite the higher resolution, no more email is shown on the 320x320 screen than the 240x240 screen.

Pocket IE

Desktop view

One column view

Full screen desktop view

Full screen one column view

Pictures and videos

Obviously the increased resolution really shows with picture viewing. To demonstrate the difference better I have blown up the 240x240 pictures to 320x320. The difference is obvious.

If there is anything anyone else wants to see let me know in the thread.

Surur
    sounds like a job for a 96 dpi hack

Wee! "Full screen one column view" confirms that PIE will work in high res mode thank goodness!
    Exactly what improvements are there in the email client with respect to one-handed operation? The client looks the same as what we have in WM5. How disappointing.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Exactly what improvements are there in the email client with respect to one-handed operation? The client looks the same as what we have in WM5. How disappointing.
    Shortcut keys, and smart filtering.

Surur
    so.. should I purchase myself a 750 now? or wait? How long could this wait be? I wish we knew weather or not the current 750 with the 240x240 res was going to be able to be upgraded
  6.    #6  
    I would not expect a 320x320 Treo for at least 6 months. Imagine how p*ssed Cingular would be in their brand-new Treo 750 got superseded so soon.

Surur
    Do you think WM6 will be made available to current 750 owners as an upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers View Post
    Do you think WM6 will be made available to current 750 owners as an upgrade?
    It was announced somewhere a while ago that it would be, but it was not an official statement from Palm, so we don't know if it's actually coming or not.
    Maybe it will be the Treo 760..how long after the Verizon 700w did the Verizon 700WX come out?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Over a year. 700w - January 2006, 700wx - February 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Maybe it will be the Treo 760..how long after the Verizon 700w did the Verizon 700WX come out?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I could imagine a Sprint 750 in July, Verizon in October and WM6 GSM Treo in January. Thats my inferior prediction. Thanks for posting this Surur.
    Interestingly, despite the higher resolution, no more email is shown on the 320x320 screen than the 240x240 screen.
    You won't see any more screen real estate. The WM team blog stated that they do not do resolution scaling like on a normal desktop. The higher resolution will mean the sharper the image because of more pixels but everything will scale to fit. thus 320x320 will look bette but not give you any more real estate tehn 240x240
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Ive managed to get the WM6 emulator up and running, and I thought some of you would like to see some 320x320 screen shots. I would have put this thread in the future Treo section, but unfortunately it does not support pictures.

Today screen

Pocket Outlook

Pocket IE

Desktop view

One column view

Full screen desktop view

Full screen one column view

Pictures and videos

Obviously the increased resolution really shows with picture viewing. To demonstrate the difference better I have blown up the 240x240 pictures to 320x320. The difference is obvious.

If there is anything anyone else wants to see let me know in the thread.

Surur
    Are you running WM6 on a Treo and if so how were you able to do this?
  14.    #14  
    No, its the windows mobile stand alone emulator. Its pretty true to the actual product, and has ROM's for all the current supported resolutions out. The WM6 ROM is from the recently released SDK.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    No, its the windows mobile stand alone emulator. Its pretty true to the actual product, and has ROM's for all the current supported resolutions out. The WM6 ROM is from the recently released SDK.

Surur
    Any chance WM6 fixes the SD card issues that the majority of us are having with WM5 on the 750? In fact, since you seemed to be strongly affiliated with the WM development crowd can you push them on this issue for WM5? I cannot fathom why the 750 was shipped with such horrible SD card support.
    The SD support issue is not a problem with the 750. It is a problem of the driver. The hardware in the Treos 650 and above support SDHC. This can be seen in the PalmOS Treos that are using a driver from the 680 to support the SDHC cards. Once a driver comes out in WM5 or one is pulled out of WM6 we will be in business.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    The SD support issue is not a problem with the 750. It is a problem of the driver. The hardware in the Treos 650 and above support SDHC. This can be seen in the PalmOS Treos that are using a driver from the 680 to support the SDHC cards. Once a driver comes out in WM5 or one is pulled out of WM6 we will be in business.
    Thanks. Are we waiting for a driver from Palm or MS? I mean, shouldn't the SD card work out of the box?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by moderateinny View Post
    Any chance WM6 fixes the SD card issues that the majority of us are having with WM5 on the 750? In fact, since you seemed to be strongly affiliated with the WM development crowd can you push them on this issue for WM5? I cannot fathom why the 750 was shipped with such horrible SD card support.
    I am not affiliated with anyone, and HTC has said that all their new devices will support SDHC.

Surur
    nice post surur! thanks!
    Bny Castro

MTFBWY...
    my blog | twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil View Post
    You won't see any more screen real estate. The WM team blog stated that they do not do resolution scaling like on a normal desktop. The higher resolution will mean the sharper the image because of more pixels but everything will scale to fit. thus 320x320 will look bette but not give you any more real estate tehn 240x240
    But what if you go in to settings>system>screen>text size and pick the smallest fonts?
    I already do this on my Treo 750 and it scales the fonts much much smaller and I have a lot more real estate. It works for email and the today screen. This font setting doesn't work for all apps, but it does for email on WM5, and I would assume so on WM5.

Surur, can you lower the fonts on the settings>screen and take some more screen shots and see how it does? It should scale the fonts smaller so you get more on the screen. At least in email and on the today screen.

These are all screen shots on a standard 240x240 Treo 750. Left picture is normal text, right picture is "smallest" text:
    _
    _
    _

Edit:
    Nevermind. All of that effort and it just occurred to me. Smallest fonts on 240x240 is going to get you the same content (real estate) as small fonts on 320x320. But the text SIZE of the smales on the 320 screen would be comparable to normal sized text on 240... but the real estate won't change.
    My bad.
    Last edited by taylorh; 03/06/2007 at 02:40 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast