Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Wouldn't the latest version be 4.1, incorporating RC-0 thru RC-11?

-- JDC
    Looking in cab file it appears to be the latest
    MortScript.exe 3/12/2007 11:41:16 AM
    We were using Release Candidates for the 4.0 final...so what was released is 4.0 final..up next will be 4.1 so we need to get our feature requests in for that
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    We were using Release Candidates for the 4.0 final...so what was released is 4.0 final..up next will be 4.1 so we need to get our feature requests in for that
    What version does is show when you run the Version checking code that I can't seem to put my hands on at the moment?

Also, I think someone (hint hint) should start a new thread of Feature Requests.

When you do... drag these over:

0) MessageBanner... Like a scolling Ticker Tape.. that stays persistent and can be updated at any time by a "MessageBanner" write to it.
    1) set speed of SendKeys (0-100% of max speed).
    2) allow for floating point numerical variables.
    3) "Char$" feature -- ASCII codes for special characters like quotes and alt, etc.
    4) detect when WM is about to abort a script because of memory levels low
    5) creation of other useful environment variables, similar to the ThisScriptPath variable. Create a "SETMortENV" command to set/change them programmatically.
    6) improve the Choice/Case dialogue... the buttons take up half the screen and the header takes up the other half.
    7) Fix the graphic glitch with the "Message" command (see attached). Test this for us with the latest release. It appeared between RC9 and RC11.
    8) CloseWindow should not be allowed on certain windows. Causes fatal crash.
    9) More commands related to comms -- Active Sync, bluetooth, wifi, etc.
    10) More event-driven commands... when phone off/on, when sync, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jdcochran; 03/12/2007 at 08:40 PM.
    Some comments from me...

I don't think it's a good idea to install actual files to the start menu. IMHO, there should only be links in it. Better use something like \Program files\Scripts for the *.mscr files.

And it'd be nice if you could rename MortIcons.exe to something different, like ScriptIcons.dll (or is it really an executable), so nobody thinks it's originated by me. I think it might get a bit confusing if anybody asks me to add an icon to it...

Please add wishes to the thread in my forum, I discovered this forum just by coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by jdcochran View Post
    What version does is show when you run the Version checking code that I can't seem to put my hands on at the moment?
    The internal version number is 4.0.0.100.

0) MessageBanner... Like a scolling Ticker Tape.. that stays persistent and can be updated at any time by a "MessageBanner" write to it.
    Far too complicated and too slow on most PPCs.

1) set speed of SendKeys (0-100% of max speed).
    That'd also cause some problems on certain devices.

2) allow for floating point numerical variables.
    That'd require a major rework, as all variable values are stored as strings currently. If I'd save something like Pi as string, it's become a very big string, and it'd take quite some time to convert the values from strings to numbers and back again...

3) "Char$" feature -- ASCII codes for special characters like quotes and alt, etc.
    If at all, it'd rather use Unicode codes. Otherwise it'd be too dependant of the device's default encoding.

4) detect when WM is about to abort a script because of memory levels low
    That's impossible. MortScript usually has no windows, so there's no WM_CLOSE or WM_HIBERNATE message, i.e. if a script is aborted due to low memory, it's killed without any advance warning.

5) creation of other useful environment variables, similar to the ThisScriptPath variable. Create a "SETMortENV" command to set/change them programmatically.
    Huh?

6) improve the Choice/Case dialogue... the buttons take up half the screen and the header takes up the other half.
    That's so you can write some help text and have big buttons which can be pressed with your fingers.

7) Fix the graphic glitch with the "Message" command (see attached).
    That's been only in SleepMessage and is fixed in the release.

8) CloseWindow should not be allowed on certain windows. Causes fatal crash.
    I don't think it'd be a good idea to add any fixed list to MortScript. I can't foresee which programs are or will be buggy... (Bad enough Microsoft messed up the program menu...)

9) More commands related to comms -- Active Sync, bluetooth, wifi, etc.
    Not much use. There are far too many incompatible versions out there. Even Microsofts Bluetooth stack is available in several manufacturer modified variants. Then Microsoft themself do major modifications in each new update (e.g. it's impossible to hangup or realize a connection since AKU4).
    Until Microsoft manages to implement a unified and working solution, I'd be far too busy with updating such functions or explaining why they can't work on several devices.

10) More event-driven commands... when phone off/on, when sync, etc.
    Phone on/off requires a constantly running program, there are no events/notifications for that. And it's quite buggy on several devices (e.g., on some devices GPRS connections don't work if monitoring was enabled and a call came in, until all monitoring handles are closed and re-opened).
  6.    #66  
    Mort has spoken.

Welcome to Treo Central Mort! I'll rename MortIcons to ScriptIcons like you suggest, although I won't expect everyone to change their cab installs retroactively. That would be quite a pain.
    Also all of our cab installs do install to \Programs now. The techies that don't use our cab installs like to copy scripts to the folder generated by the MortScript install under StartMenu\Programs just because it's there and convenient.

On point 6 you mention that the large buttons are there to press with your fingers, but it is a bit redundant to have both those buttons and softkey/keypad plus the buttons. Any chance we could have a flag to turn off the buttons? This would also be nice with the input dialog. You can't put much in way of text or it ends up below the input box. It would be nice if the input box was at the bottom and we were given the choice to display the buttons or not since they are redundant with the softkeys right below them.

The benefit of having an input box at the bottom allows you to be able to enter commands and have results displayed above ready for future input.

Also it would be really cool if there was a way to have an input dialog where you could enter input without the dialog going away and be able to update the window with results like a shell.

A file selection dialog would be really nice also.

We really appreciate the work you do Mort! Remember everyone should donate to Mort for his hard work if you are benefitting from it.

-Paul
    Last edited by hannip; 03/13/2007 at 09:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sto-helit View Post

...Please add wishes to the thread in my forum, I discovered this forum just by coincidence.
    We plan on creating a separate thread and maybe when enough comments come in, we'll consolidate them into an organized list.

(Scrolling Banner) ... Far too complicated and too slow on most PPCs.
    I think I could make this work by updating a registry value with clever string manipulations using existing commands.

(SendKey speed) ...That'd also cause some problems on certain devices.
    Surely there's a speed of execution that we could "tweak"? It seems that there's running code to "simulate" human typing now.

(Char$ codes) ...If at all, it'd rather use Unicode codes. Otherwise it'd be too dependant of the device's default encoding.
    Thanks, we'll take em.

(Environment Variables) ...Huh?
    Windows has environment variables (type "set" at a DOS Window Command Line). My request here is for MortScript environment variables. These would be global settings/variables that could be referenced in all scripts.

(Big Button woes) ...That's so you can write some help text and have big buttons which can be pressed with your fingers.
    I agree with hannip on this.

(Close Windows - List) I don't think it'd be a good idea to add any fixed list to MortScript. I can't foresee which programs are or will be buggy... (Bad enough Microsoft messed up the program menu...)
    Understood, but maybe a user-defined list could be added as a MortEnvar, like

NoCloseWindow = Today, Programs, UserDefinedWindow1, UserDefinedWindow2, etc...

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If I ever get paid for a script, I'll give you a "cut".

-- John from Atlanta
  8.    #68  
    We plan on creating a separate thread and maybe when enough comments come in, we'll consolidate them into an organized list.
    I already posted my wishes on Mort's forum. If someone else wants to compile a list feel free.

Windows has environment variables (type "set" at a DOS Window Command Line). My request here is for MortScript environment variables. These would be global settings/variables that could be referenced in all scripts.
    I really could've used some global environment variables the other day for script to script communication. I had to resort to file i/o since registry read/write seemed to give inconsistent results. Even the file i/o is troublesome since the file can have locking issues between the scripts which I have seen. Add me to the wishlist petition for this one.
  9.    #69  
    At Mort's request I have renamed MortIcons.exe to ScriptIcons.dll and updated our cab template and example Treo Keylight app.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...75&postcount=4

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...87&postcount=5

I also figured out how to create special shortcuts using MortScript so we no longer have to create these on the device and copy them into our cabs. This means easier cab installs!

Check out this qoute crazy command from the Treo Keylight install.mscr.

Code:
    CreateShortcut( "\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Keylight.lnk",\
          """" & instPath \ "MortScript.exe"" """ & instPath \ "Treo Keylight.mscr""?ScriptIcons.dll,-108" )
    Don't worry, you don't have to figure it out, just change the lnk name, script name and icon resource id and copy into your install.mscr.
    what will happen to the .html file formerly known as "MortMenu"?

poor li'l file... never hurt nobody.
    No problem, but every now and then there should be a reminder in my forum, otherwise I might lose track and forget them...

I think I could make this work by updating a registry value with clever string manipulations using existing commands.
    I don't know any registry value that'd display a marquee window.

Surely there's a speed of execution that we could "tweak"? It seems that there's running code to "simulate" human typing now.
    Well, yes, there's a "Sleep" between each button press. Sadly, this is necessary because Windows otherwise omits some characters. It seems like Windows Mobile's input buffer is really crappy...
    While I could offer a command or variable to modify this delay, it'd also make the script more unreliable if it's executed on another device or other running applications slow down the system.

Windows has environment variables (type "set" at a DOS Window Command Line).
    Only the desktop Windows, not Windows Mobile. In WM, everything's somewhere in the registry, if some "DOS shell" emulator shows environment variables, it probably maps them to corresponding registry entries.

My request here is for MortScript environment variables. These would be global settings/variables that could be referenced in all scripts.
    You could use RegWrite(Type)/RegRead for that. Or INI files, though updating an INI file is a bit complicated because there's no system support anymore. I plan an IniWrite function which makes it a bit more comfortable in an upcoming update.

Understood, but maybe a user-defined list could be added as a MortEnvar, like
    NoCloseWindow = Today, Programs, UserDefinedWindow1, UserDefinedWindow2, etc...
    If you have to set the list yourself, you also could avoid the Close command for those windows in the first place...
    However, in future versions I'll at least send a "OK" command to the program menu windows instead of closing them...

what will happen to the .html file formerly known as "MortMenu"?
    poor li'l file... never hurt nobody.
    I don't know it's contents, but I think it should be obvious it's not from me...
    Don't worry, I don't want to enforce any "trademarks" (I think Terry Pratchett would have the better chances anyway ). I just want to avoid that some day somebody stubles upon one of your CAB files, and I get a question why that MortIcons.exe doesn't do anything. Or worse, it does something he doesn't like. And my response'd be "Huh? What MortIcons.exe???".

Oh, regarding the dialog requests, please see the respone here
  12.    #72  
    Don't worry, I don't want to enforce any "trademarks" (I think Terry Pratchett would have the better chances anyway ).
    Man, I gotta get out more. I finally picked up on the Terry Pratchett reference. Interesting.

http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?mo...iew&entry=mort
    Originally Posted by sto-helit :

Don't worry, I don't want to enforce any "trademarks" (I think Terry Pratchett would have the better chances anyway ).

I like my chances with Terry Hatcher.

- JDC
  14.    #74  
    Originally Posted by sto-helit :

I like my chances with Terry Hatcher.

- JDC
    I like your chances with Terry Hatcher too. More chances for me!
    Ive found Mortscript.exe start up issues when download is in cab form.
    The morscript.exe file does not activate so the mscr files dont become active till you give the morscript.exe a screen tap.
    To fix this issue in TREO ALERTS ver 2.8 . I added a shortcut to mortscript.exe in windows startup folder.
    All is fixed with mortscript.exe and mscr file becoming active on softreset.

Phil C
    Last edited by slingbox; 03/20/2007 at 09:35 PM.
    Hmm, haven't noticed any problem with that in my cab file installs...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    It may have to do with the softreset needed in My latest project to start the main mscr file. But There was a member with TREO NLED that had the same problem.I had to trouble shoot with him then finding the tap on mortscript.exe activated script.Maybe hit or miss but saving the problem from every happening on my builds.Im going to shortcut that file for now on into startup.
  18.    #78  
    Yeah, I described this issue to sling before. See this post.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=11

Since the cab installs don't register MortScript you have to make sure you only use shortcuts that call the MortScript.exe in your install path passing a parameter with the path to your script.

And to avoid issues with the SD card not being available during boot you should only install to the device when there is a shortcut required in the startup folder.
    Ive been working to hard
    I forgot about that.Thanks hannip
  20.    #80  
    ScriptIcons cab template has been updated with ScriptIcons.dll version 5.

Icon map:
    ResourceId : iconfile
    107 : keylight-1.ico
    108 : keylight-2.ico
    116 : vibe1.ico
    117 : tomtom1.ico
    118 : chimer.ico
    119 : nled3.ico
    120 : incall.ico
    121 : treoalert2.ico
    122 : treoalert3.ico
    123 : Alerts Interface.ico
    124 : ALERT REMINDER.ico
    125 : Treo alert blue2.ico

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...75&postcount=4

Note that ScriptIcons.cab is installable by itself if you just want to install the ScriptIcons.dll icon resource for use in your shortcuts. ScriptIcons.dll is installed in the \Windows folder.
    Last edited by hannip; 04/01/2007 at 01:06 PM.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast