1.    #1  
    I'm trialing a 750 right now, and thus far (Day 4) battery life is appalling. It's at 'cannot make it through a day' level. I have left all power / backlight settings at default for the moment, I use push email during peak times (7am-7pm), do moderate amount of web browsing, very low amount of phone call usage (in just these early days by chance), couple of manual refreshes of NewsBreak RSS channels per day, and relatively heavy use of task / calendar management apps, and heavy note-taking. On my 8525 (HTC Hermes) I would typically be at 30-45% battery at the end of a day, with much heavier phone call usage thrown in too!

I believe this is something of a known issue for the 750 in UMTS coverage areas? I am in Austin, Tx - so UMTS is everywhere, and I am nearly always showing that U symbol.

I may have missed the thread for this, but are there any generqal suggestions / hacks for getting better battery life on the 750???

Thanks ...
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickj View Post
    I'm trialing a 750 right now, and thus far (Day 4) battery life is appalling. It's at 'cannot make it through a day' level. I have left all power / backlight settings at default for the moment, I use push email during peak times (7am-7pm), do moderate amount of web browsing, very low amount of phone call usage (in just these early days by chance), couple of manual refreshes of NewsBreak RSS channels per day, and relatively heavy use of task / calendar management apps, and heavy note-taking. On my 8525 (HTC Hermes) I would typically be at 30-45% battery at the end of a day, with much heavier phone call usage thrown in too!

I believe this is something of a known issue for the 750 in UMTS coverage areas? I am in Austin, Tx - so UMTS is everywhere, and I am nearly always showing that U symbol.

I may have missed the thread for this, but are there any generqal suggestions / hacks for getting better battery life on the 750???

Thanks ...
    After 3 weeks with the 750 I am testing the Blackjack. I have to use a pda as a phone more than anything else and by 2-3 in the afternoon the 750 is dead. ....worst battery of any phone Iíve experienced. I have the car charger but because of my job I can't always be by the charger.

Don't get me wrong I do miss the touch screen but I have been extremely impressed with the blackjack. Phone quality is about the clearest of any phone Iíve ever had, better screen, and with the extended battery supplied in the box Iím getting almost 2 days of use without with a full charge.

I know this isnít a BJ vs 750 discussion but I am so bummed out. I like most in this forum waited months for this phone to be released. Juryís still out but Iím leaning toward ebayíg the 750.
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickj View Post

Thanks ...

Are you using Direct Push or Xpress mail for email? I find xpress sucks the battery dry after a day of work.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I have XpressMail fetch mail once an hour (on weekends only). I also have GB-Soft Tweak installed to turn off the network connection 10 minutes after last use. I can go all weekend without a charge this way. I am in a GPRS-only area.
    xpress push is the battery killer.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  6.    #6  
    Direct push / Exchange server ...

Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    Are you using Direct Push or Xpress mail for email? I find xpress sucks the battery dry after a day of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire View Post
    xpress push is the battery killer.
    AND UMTS. I'm in a GPRS only region, but when I visit an area where UMTS is available I find my battery life is much shorter. I've have decided to confugured my Treo to manually select only GSM.
    This is one way I have found/read that will help with the battery. I have direct push with an exchange server. I sent it to retrieve 10k only without attachments. I decide if I want to view the attachment or not and this helps a lot with the battery life. Of course, I dont use it as a phone, so its data only and I would usually have about 50 to 60% by 5pm.
  9.    #9  
    That's depressing to hear - Treos have generally been known for their superb overall smartphone performance, in effect as converged devices. To give up on using it as a phone would not be an option for me. This needs to perform like a proper converged device. Also, on mail retrieval, mine is set to retrieve only 3k on each message and it's still horrific on battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    This is one way I have found/read that will help with the battery. I have direct push with an exchange server. I sent it to retrieve 10k only without attachments. I decide if I want to view the attachment or not and this helps a lot with the battery life. Of course, I dont use it as a phone, so its data only and I would usually have about 50 to 60% by 5pm.
    I posted this on hofo to your question.

I've noticed the biggest battery improvements with the following things:

1. put backlight on the middle setting (or lower if you'd like)
    2. if using push email (set the incoming to 0.5k, by default it is on 5k)
    3. if using pull email (set the server to check less often)

These changes made a HUGE difference for me and others. Hope it helps
    Mike

Eph 2:8-9
  11.    #11  
    Hi Mikew

Thanks a lot for those. Have just made the first two changes. By backlight I think you mean Brightness - I just lowered that setting to a little under half (it was just slightly over half), and lowered push email option to 0.5k from 5k. Number 3 does not apply to me.

I will test tomorrow / next couple days and post back how it goes.

Thanks again ...

Quote Originally Posted by mikewchandler View Post
    I posted this on hofo to your question.

I've noticed the biggest battery improvements with the following things:

1. put backlight on the middle setting (or lower if you'd like)
    2. if using push email (set the incoming to 0.5k, by default it is on 5k)
    3. if using pull email (set the server to check less often)

These changes made a HUGE difference for me and others. Hope it helps