Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I'm back again. I started a thread on this a little while back and it didn't "fix" my jones. I have a 650 I'm happy with but I love the style and functionality of the 750. I used a 180 for 4 years so the screen thing is a non-issue for me!!!!!!!! The speed, multi-tasking, GSM, etc. are just too much improvement for me to pass up. Then the complication of WM6 comes along and the inherent concern of buying an immediately obsolete device.

I waited months to pull the trigger on the 650 because I wanted to have it with Verizon. Verizon wouldn't say boo about their launch. I waited and waited, cold sweats, cramps - the works. I finally couldn't take it anymore and bought the 650 from Sprint. Literally the next day, Verizon announced the 650.

I'm a little different from a lot of you in that I buy and then I'm out of the market for at least a few years. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to do this every six months like a lot of you out there. But once I'm in the hunt, I'm very impatient about these matters and waiting is made more painful by the inhuman silence from the manufacturers and carriers.

I'm willing to wait some - what are your thoughts on a reasonable number of weeks to wait to give me an 80% probability that a WM6 GSM 750 will pop? Or, you could just demand that I order one tonight
    I have no inside information, but I would think you have got at least a six month wait. Palm doesn't bring out new models often and they have not committed to updating existing models (despite the rumors).
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts
    But, with Palm getting the WM6 OS for free now, we could see a software update for our 750's. After all, the biggest push for Crossbow is the ability to sync better with Vista and Exchange Server 2007.
    Waiting for something better is an eternal wait. If you decide to jump then jump. The decision to jump at the time the decision was made will be a good decision. If the next best thing is released the next day it does not change the fact that the decision was a good one. Be happy. No regrets.

Words of wisdom, The Treo Buddha
    I heard somewhere on these boards that there would have to be an actual hardware upgrade to get the current 750s to run WM6 correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84 View Post
    I heard somewhere on these boards that there would have to be an actual hardware upgrade to get the current 750s to run WM6 correct?
    No. WM6 will run fine on a 240x240 screen.

Surur
    My advice is to play arround with the current 750s and if you like it and the features fit your needs, then get it. Life is about balancing opportunity costs. Waiting means loss in productivity today for possible marginal gains on what could have been today in the future.

Palm doesn't refresh models as often as HTC and other carrier brands, which is a plus. Like a luxury car, its classic style will always be "in." Software-wise, WM6 isn't a huge upgrade unless you need the extra Exchange 2007 features and a heavy user of MS Live services, and got to have HTML emails. For me, most my HTML emails are spams and advertisements so I can do without.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    No. WM6 will run fine on a 240x240 screen.

Surur
    ahh yes, but to take full advantage of the 320/320 resolution, we'll have to upgrade the hardware correct? I know there was talk about putting a 680 screen in there.. but what else is there?
    No other extra hardware is needed. In fact WM6 has been seen running on a Treo 750 already. You would need to buy a new Treo for a 320x320 screen however. Actually upgrading the hardware yourself (e.g. using a 650 or 700p screen) is very unlikely to work.

Surur
    I remember a huge difference when I went from 160x160 to 320x320 but no difference when I went from 320x320 to 240x320. So it seems like it would be no big deal to go from 240x240 to 320x320.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84 View Post
    No, but Microsoft confirmed that 320x320 support was added to WM6 and that there are manufacturers who will use it. Quote was "we didn't add that for our health".
    Jer 23:29
    Surur has some nice pics showing the difference in resolution http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...67#post1212567