Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I got an e-mail from verizon and Nokia regarding a daylight savings program that I have to download in order for my wireless sync to work correctly. Is it for real, has anyone gotten this e-mail?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I havent rcvd anything from sprint
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Dear Wireless Sync Customer,

Verizon Wireless and Nokia are committed to providing updates to your Wireless Sync Device in order to support the compliance with the new Daylight Saving Time (DST) requirements that are mandated by the recent US Energy Policy Act of 2005. This will affect most Wireless Sync customers and it is highly recommended that you update the Wireless Sync software on your device.

To apply the Daylight Saving Time (DST) update to your mobile device, simply open the Internet browser from your device and type in the following URL. Or as an alternative, just open this email from your device and click on the link below. In either case, you'll be sent to our site to download the Wireless Sync software update for your device:

http://ota.wsync.com/WSWM5PPC.cab

You may be charged airtime for this data download, depending upon your Verizon Wireless rate plan and service agreement.

This software update will have the necessary changes for DST and will replace the current Wireless Sync software on your device. In addition to the DST updates, this client also contains other changes, such as an improved look.

When you access the above URL, you will be prompted with a Download dialog. Within this dialog box ensure that "Open file after download" checkbox is selected and select "Yes" to continue.

During the installation process you will be notified that there is an existing version of Wireless Sync installed and that this previous version will be removed, select "OK" on this notification.

If you have a memory card in your device you will be asked where you would like to install the Wireless Sync client. Ensure the "Device" radio button is selected then select "Install" to continue.

Your device will restart when the installation process is complete.

The client will self-provision itself, and you will not have to make any changes to settings or preferences. The download may take a few minutes. Please be sure you have a solid wireless connection and your device is charged.

Additional information pertaining to DST and Wireless Sync can be found on the following links:

www.wsync.com Wireless Sync Information

www.verizonwireless.com/data - Verizon Wireless Support Site

Best regards,

Wireless Sync Support
    Disclaimer: If you do not wish to receive future emails, please click here
    102 Corporate Park Drive White Plains, NY, 10604 USA
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    If you really want to know call Verizon and they will tell you if they sent that out. But I haven't got anything.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RayS View Post
    I havent rcvd anything from sprint
    That's because this is for Verizon since Sprint does not use Wireless Sync.
    I received it too.

Not sure what to make of it. I've only had my first TREO for 2 days. And it took all of 2 days to get GMAIL working on it.

I'm not using outlook.

Do I still need to download this since I'm not using wireless sync?
    It's a scam. Don't just read the text of the link when you get a message like this...look where the link takes you. [The posting of the message on the board removed the actual link but the redirect goes to someplace other than Verizon].

I got the message the other day to. It's clever and crafty but remember guys ALWAYS question where these messages come from. Do you really think you need to install a CAB file to update your phone's Daylight Savings? Look at the links...do they really point to a legitimate site? No Verizon logo? Finally...I don't have a Nokia phone (apparently you don't either if you are on this site). Why would Verizon and Nokia be teaming together to update a Treo?

Question EVERYTHING. It takes a lot less time and effort than tracking down and removing the virus this message will intstall.
    I'm with Verizon, but don't utilize Wireless Sync. Perhaps that's why I did not get the email. Microsoft has a site that talks about this issue. It appears an update must be done in order for everything to work properly.

It may be my misunderstanding -but looks like it should be done. I did reluctantly install the upgrade. No issues so far.

Here's Microsoft's link: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ctosynchronize
    Casabooboo, that's a great link and great info. However, you didn't get the email not because you don't use Wireless Sync but because it is an email scam.

But the DST issue is also exacly the reason the scammers are capitalizing to send the fraudulent message. Don't loose site of the fact that the email message that is referred to in this post IS A FAKE. The scammers are capitalizing on the MS DST issue.

The email is NOT from Verizon and it does NOT take you to a Verizon site. The issue may be real, but the email and link are not.
    Last edited by rojozak; 03/05/2007 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Originally Posted by rojozak View Post
    I got the message the other day to. It's clever and crafty but remember guys ALWAYS question where these messages come from. Do you really think you need to install a CAB file to update your phone's Daylight Savings? Look at the links...do they really point to a legitimate site? No Verizon logo? Finally...I don't have a Nokia phone (apparently you don't either if you are on this site). Why would Verizon and Nokia be teaming together to update a Treo?
    If you have Wireless Sync currently installed, check the "About" feature. Nokia provides the Wireless Sync software for Verizon phones. This is simply a newer version of this software that also provides DST functionality for Wireless Sync using VZSync online. As far as I can tell, the Microsoft update/patch still needs installed to change the phone registry to properly configure it for DST.
    you DO need to apply a patch for DST. There are many references to it here in forums, and on Microsofts site.
    Alright I'll throw down the plate of crow and admit after (taking way too much time) research it the mail looks to be legit. My appologies to all but when you get something like this mixed in with the 80 or so other spam messages, they all look alike.

To Verizon's discredit, they didn't exactly go out of their way to make the message look authentic. The sender's address wasn't from verizon and the links that the message point to (view source, not the textual hyperlinks) a third party marketing/tracking firm that is redirects you to Verizon's site.

I never questioned the fact the update had to be done, just the legitimacy of the message itself. A little breakfast and some coffee seems to have cleared it up. Sorry for the go-round.
    No apology needed. I was quite skeptical myself, especially the Nokia part. Then I remembered that Nokia was the software provider. Even after I was 99.9% sure it was OK, I still called Verizon to verify legitimacy.
    has anyone applied this fix (on your PC and treo)? As per my other post in this forum, all of my calendar appts are -1 on the treo from 3-12 to 4-1?