1.    #1  
    (Update: See post #4)

In my quest to be rid of menu clicks (and ONLY menu clicks) I have discovered that the two sounds involved are:

"menupop.wav"

and

"hwandsw.wav"

Unfortunately, these are in ROM and are not in the registry, which would seem to mean they are hard-coded in somehow.

It seems to me I could turn off these two sounds if I could replace these two files with two identically-named but silent files - but as they are in ROM this is easier said than done.

Before you ask..., yes, I know I can turn off system events - but that's ALL system events, not just these two styles of menu clicks.
    Last edited by westronic; 03/02/2007 at 07:54 PM.
    you should be able to replace them with two other, same name files.

the regular explorer may not be able to do it, but total commander (free) and/or resco file explorer ( free trial) will. may of use have used the to replace original rom files

hope this helps, cody
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    you should be able to replace them with two other, same name files.

the regular explorer may not be able to do it, but total commander (free) and/or resco file explorer ( free trial) will. may of use have used the to replace original rom files

hope this helps, cody
    Well, I would have thought I could do that, but so far I cannot. Perhaps I am missing something?

I am using Total Commander.
  4.    #4  
    Update:

It worked!

Step 1: Create two new files with the same names but that are "silent." I recorded about .1 seconds of silence.

Step 2: Copy the new files to the Treo somewhere OTHER than the Windows folder.

Step 3: Copy the old files to anywhere you like so you can restore things later should you so choose.

Step 4: Use Total Commander to copy and paste (overwriting) the new files over the old files. I also set the new files to "read only" and "system" - but that was likely not required.

Step 5: Soft Reset.

Bingo. No more menu clicks! All other system sounds remain intact.