Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  

Inspired by my very own HourlyXCast, I wanted a weather program that looked at every hour and did the 'hard' work of finding when precipitation is set to occur.

About TheForceCast:
    TheForceCast is not only an interface to the XCast plugin. With it, you can see extended information about the forcecast, change scheduling options for XCast, redirect to weather websites and more! JDCochran has taken over development of this project and all the work on extending XCast as well as the entire theForceCast project is his amazing work. Thanks JD for this awesome weather app.

About Carrier Plugin:
    So, for example, "Rain" is found at 3PM, that's all I need to know: I need my umbrella. If it says "Rain" at 9PM, then I don't need my umbrella. You may be skeptical, but I've been using this method for a year now and it's pretty accurate imo!

What's Shown:
    Hour Checked: Current Temp (Hi/Lo) Precipitation Indicator
    -------------
    ... so reading the screen above tells me that when it checked at 8AM: take out yer ice scraper cuz it's Snowing out there.. Right Now! If it finds some precipitation later, like at 8PM, it will show as "Snow @8p" Note: After 4PM there are no more high temperatures so it only shows Lo.

Download
    May 11, 2007: Latest version by jdcochran is here: TheForceCast.zip
    Sounds (Optional)
    Extract Sounds to any directory you wish, preferably a subdirectory of theForceCast, and specify the location on the [Settings]->'XcastSoundsDir' value of the XCast.ini file.
    Sounds Package 1
    Sounds Package 2

Setup:
    1) Extract all files to some directory of your choice.
    2) Modify the files as described by jd:
    *Platform Note: When editing the ini file, set the platform as 700w if you own a Verizon Treo 700w OR 700wx. Set it as 700wx only if you use the Sprint 700wx.

Code:
    Installation Instructions:

Before executing the scripts, take a moment to analyze and edit
    the three .ini files, tailored for your platform and preferences.

1) TFC.ini 	- edit your software settings for browser and text file editor.
    		- edit your preferences for up to 4 city locations.
    		- edit your preferences for up to 4 zipcode locations. 

note: to determine your "home" setting for MyFavCityCode[1], enter the following
    	   url in any browser:  http://xoap.weather.com/search/search?where=EnterCityStringHere

2) Xcast.ini - enter your Platform settings.  Note: certain "non-Treo" platforms will in fact
    		   work, but the only code check that is performed is for the "Treo".  If you have 
    		   a non-treo PPC, let me know how this util works for you and I'll modify a future 
    		   release to check for your platform.
     		 - you can either manually enter your preferences in the [Parameters] section or
    		   you can set them interactively in the Settings menus selections of TheForceCast.
    		   Remember to Write Xcast parameters to make these changes active.

3) XcastParameters.ini - set these to initial preferences.  They will be overwritten by
    				 subsequent executions of Xcast.ini via TheForceCast.ini.
    Enjoys!

Edit: May 11, 2007: theForceCast front-paged
    Edit: Mar 2,2007: Precipitation "Now" Check
    Edit: Mar 3,2007: Thanks jdcochran for finding the Verizon 700w carrier reg entry!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by g-funkster; 06/27/2007 at 12:35 PM.
    this sounds pretty cool. i work out doors and have often felt i needed to know more as well.

i think i will have to watch this one. cant wait to see what happens. what source does it pull it's info from?

thanks, cody
    Last edited by codyppc; 03/01/2007 at 08:32 PM.
  3.    #3  
    the source is weather.com
    This is a great idea and well executed. I know many people stopped changing the carrier name since it goes to default after a soft reset. But since you're having the script change that reg key, it'll always be up-to-date. Pretty nifty, g-funk!
  5.    #5  
    exactly! It doesn't matter that it will eventually reset itself, the script runs just before I wake up so all I have to do is glance at the screen and the info will be there.
    Very cool indeed! I'm liking it. It says rain and sure enough it's raining.
    I can help with the timing piece for autoupdating on a scheduled interval
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    I can help with the timing piece for autoupdating on a scheduled interval
    Bring it on! I thought about doing this as an external script that calls this one, but I just ... ahh you see the prob with me is that once it works for me, I get lazy about making mods.

Update: But here's one I've wanted to add for a while, if it finds a Precipitation Pattern in the Current conditions it will say "Now!" instead of specifying the hour. Now it works exactly like HourlyXCast.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by g-funkster; 03/17/2007 at 12:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    This is awesome! Wouldn't it automatically start after every reset if you put a shortcut in the startup folder?
    yes
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Thanks, Phil.

UPDATE: Not sure exactly why, but it actually doesn't work. I added it to my start menu so it's easy to access and update after I reboot, but the shortcut in the startup folder still boots up my carrier name (Sprint.)
    Last edited by xdalaw; 03/02/2007 at 05:47 PM.
  12.    #12  
    It might be executing too soon after the reboot. Add a delay after the
    'ErrorLevel("off")', and play around with the time intervals. Maybe it only needs 20 more seconds (in milliseconds)? If so, add a 'Sleep' line:

ErrorLevel("off")
    Sleep(20000)
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Thanks g-funkster-
    Just added the "sleep" line to the script as you suggested. (Made it 120 seconds though, as 20 didn't work.) Works perfectly now!
    funky piece of code, here. I'm likin it alot.

However, I have the Verizon version of the 700w. I could not get the data to display in the intended place until I added this code in place of your line:

# RegWriteString ("HKLM","System\State\Phone","Current Operator Name", %FinalString%)
    RegWriteString ("HKLM","Software\Microsoft\RIL","CarrierName", %FinalString%)

I checked the registry when running the original version. The data was there, but the display was being controlled by the other registry key.

I think I'll add a call to this on bootup... and maybe a script that runs it now and every hour.

Thanks for the fine specimen.

-- JDC
  15.    #15  
    please post the hourly runner script when you finished with it! Nice find for Verizon, I'll go ahead and make the change to the original, thanks!
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Bootup startups and hourly updates will be great!
    Yes, I'll be looking forward to your updates jd! Can we get a weather manager script to go with it with an ini file that allows the user to
    1) set zip code
    2) select how frequently to update
    3) something else cool like choosing different data/formats.

Thanks!
    ok, it took a while but I have modified the pa pluging and my weather panel plugin to make room for my carrier plugin. no more "hidelogo".

I am ready to start trying this. I went back through this thread and now can't find a script. I don't know if it was ever posted, but I saw someone say thay put it in there startup folder and it didn't work.

I know it is still work in progress, but can I start the trail version. i'm all excited. lol.

I see that the registry changes, for different carriers. I am using sprint 700wx.

thanks, cody
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    ok, it took a while but I have modified the pa pluging and my weather panel plugin to make room for my carrier plugin. no more "hidelogo".

I am ready to start trying this. I went back through this thread and now can't find a script. I don't know if it was ever posted, but I saw someone say thay put it in there startup folder and it didn't work.

I know it is still work in progress, but can I start the trail version. i'm all excited. lol.

I see that the registry changes, for different carriers. I am using sprint 700wx.

thanks, cody
    Hi Cody-

Just download the .txt file g-funkster posted at the top of the thread. Take an existing script file and replace the text with that and rename it using your notepad on the desktop. (And, change the zip code to the one you want.) Then place the script on your PPC. Most people put it in their Programs/Mortscript folder.

That's about it.

It's just like any of the other scripts people are posting/using.

Hope that helps.
    10-4
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast