Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
  1.    #161  
    oh man that's right. fixin' is comin'. Yeah I was just speaking to my fams who are having the greatest time ever in ATL, apparently
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    try to put this in the windows\startup:

launchXCastStartup.mscr
    Code:
    Sleep 120000
    Run("\Windows\Start Menu\MortScript\XCast.mscr"
    Edit ^ to the actual path of your XCast file. This waits 120 seconds after a reboot to run it, as per XDAlaw's tests, 120 seconds is optimal
    This doesn't work for me... get an trust/certification error.

-- JDC
    oh man that's right. fixin' is comin'. Yeah I was just speaking to my fams who are having the greatest time ever in ATL, apparently
    I get that, too. They have more fun when I'm not there.

Hey, do u know how to detect if the device is asleep?

Is there a registry setting?

-- JDC
    OK, I was intrigued by the Owner Notes option of the phone. When I first got the phone, I plastered my name, address, and office phone number all over this screen with a message "please return if found" in the notes tab.

But I disabled it shortly after that, thinking it to be not very useful.

What I forgot was that this screen automaticaly pops up after hibernation.

As discussed in a previous post, I have twiddled with this feature and find it to be quite useful.

Here's what I DO know:

- The Owner Notes display will accept only 6 lines from the Owner Notes Registry.
    - The Window "Settings" is active when the OwnerInfo-Options.lnk file is active (as it is for ALL the misc 'settings' windows)
    - The special code in the .lnk file could possibly be different for your WM device.
    I found the secret to mine at:
    http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=51882
    - The name of the window when coming from hyibernation is "Owner Information"
    - Until I find a registry setting for when the device is asleep, I use a crude check of this window to assume that the device was asleep. If it was, I set a flag and put it back to sleep afer xcast executes.
    - Setting the DisplayMode to "both" works like a charm on the 700w.

Here's what I DON'T know and would appreciate some help with:
    - What registry to read for phone in hibernation mode (asleep).
    - How non 700w phones may respond to this new code.

Procedure for this new release (release "H"):

1) backup your existing xcast.ini and xcast.mscr in a safe place
    2) backup any text you may have put in the Owner Notes, because it will be obliterated.
    3) download all 3 files in the .zip into the same dir.
    4) edit the .ini file to fit your needs. Defaults are for 700w, 30 min, my Zip, and "both" display modes.
    5) try it and report any successes or errors.
    6) once you get it to working properly, try setting the update time to 2 min... execute, then power down and see if it wakes up, executes, and goes back to sleep on its own.

Enjoy.

-- JDC
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
  5.    #165  
    I did a registry comparison before & after enabling the notes display and did not find any changes I noticed changes in Time registry keys and that "owner information" was the active app, so I'm inclined to think there's no registry value for this.

the .lnk file does work on this sprint 700wx, it brings up the control panel area where the Notes checkbox is.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcochran View Post
    This doesn't work for me... get an trust/certification error.

-- JDC
    This works for me, although my script location is in a different location than g-funksters.

But, with this version of the script it no longer updates while connected to AS in my cradle. An earlier version did, if I remember correctly. (Hard to keep all the successive versions/tweaks straight in my non-programmer head.)
    Quote Originally Posted by xdalaw View Post
    This works for me, although my script location is in a different location than g-funksters.

But, with this version of the script it no longer updates while connected to AS in my cradle. An earlier version did, if I remember correctly. (Hard to keep all the successive versions/tweaks straight in my non-programmer head.)
    That's what Spreadsheets are for... and I'll be posting one soon, to keep track of all the variants.

Until then, comment out this code section:

Code:
    # Check if Phone is Cradled (Active Sync)
    # Note: Palm Treo 700w cannot connect when cradled.  Other models may not have this problem.
    #SyncState = RegRead("HKLM", "System\State\Hardware", "Cradled" )

#If (WMPlatform = "treo")

#	If (WMPlatformModel eq "700w")
    #		If (SyncState > 0)
    #			SyncFlag = 1
    #			SleepMessage (5, "Cannot connect to Weather Service when Phone is Cradled.  Script will abort.", ThisScriptName)
    #			XcastFlag = 0
    #			Call CalcUpdateTime
    #			Exit
    #		EndIf
    #	EndIf
    EndIf

I'm also gunna put a check to capture your current active window, promt for you to continue/abort xcast, then, if applicable, minimize it while the code runs, then restore it... if the device is in use.

I have had the OwnerNotes routine tread on me at inconvenient times.

-- JDC
    I did a registry comparison before & after enabling the notes display and did not find any changes I noticed changes in Time registry keys and that "owner information" was the active app, so I'm inclined to think there's no registry value for this.

the .lnk file does work on this sprint 700wx, it brings up the control panel area where the Notes checkbox is.
    Bummer. Can you check for the existence of a registry change between power on and "sleep" mode?

-- JDC
  9.    #169  
    I tried that too and came up with nothing. I turned off the Treo as soon as I started the export to see if I could find something, but nothing came back different.
    My weather message says "Snow +4p"
    Does this mean snow tomorrow at 4pm? This corresponds with tomorrow's hourly forecast, but I wanted to be sure.
  11.    #171  
    yup, that's exactly what it means
    I like the notes popup when I manually wake it up, but don't like how it turns my screen on every 30 minutes during autoupdates. Is there a way to allow the notes to popup when manually waking it up, but not wake my screen up on every update?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    After using the util for a few days, I have disabled the "both" option on my install. It does get annoying.

The problem is that when the "Owner Notes" section of the registry is updated, the "notes on startup" option is disabled... i think.

What I plan on doing is modifying the "notes" option to simply write to the registry. If you want to know weather details without going to TheForceCast, then pull up the OwnerNotes, check the box manually, then power down and back up.

-- JDC
  14.    #174  
    What if you

1. saved that information on a separate file when it is captured.
    2. create a new mscr that merely reads that file and pops it up in a message.
    3. use SKTOOLS to map it onto the notification queue upon power on (not timer based launch)

Perhaps then you'd get kinda the same effect? though not the pretty colors of MS's notes popup
    What if you

1. saved that information on a separate file when it is captured.
    2. create a new mscr that merely reads that file and pops it up in a message.
    3. use SKTOOLS to map it onto the notification queue upon power on (not timer based launch)

Perhaps then you'd get kinda the same effect? though not the pretty colors of MS's notes popup
    I suppose you could map a button to the readfile/message script, but that would take away from more important button mappings. Sure would be nice if we could press Alt-W to run a script.

BTW, I've had unstable results associated with this registry write and settings combo. I think the option for powerup magically returns if you wait long enough withoutfiddling with settings There may be a delay time of a few min.

Not sure how this works, but I will change the "Owner Notes" option to simply write to the Owner Notes registry only and dispense with the annoyances.

It was kewl the first 10 times.

-- JDC
    Modified Owner Notes functionality. No more waking the device.

It runs in the background.

Still haven't found a registry setting for Sleep Mode or for activating Owner Notes on power up.

-- JDC
    Attached Files Attached Files
    JDC, thanks for taking out the autowake on update. Does this version automatically check or uncheck the option to show owner notes on wake up?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    JDC, thanks for taking out the autowake on update. Does this version automatically check or uncheck the option to show owner notes on wake up?
    it does not set the option. I had erratic results so I disabled it. the original code is included but commented out.

-JDC
    I've been thoroughly enjoying my minimalist XCast, but would like the option of getting a more detailed forecast from time to time.

I've been loading The ForceCast by tapping on the script after opening Mortscript with Resco. Is there an easier way to access this? And do I have the most recent version? It looks like there's more functionality being planned than what I can currently use.
  20.    #180  
    I think the latest ForceCast is here (page 4, so you might already have it):
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...=138134&page=4

As for an easier way to what you describe, using Resco, instead of executing the script, first copy it. Then browse to \Windows\Start Menu and do 'Paste Shortcut', then you can execute it right from your 'Programs' menu like any other program.