Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1.    #141  
    Quote Originally Posted by jd
    yep!
    !!HUZZAHHH IMG TAG ENABLED!!!

Ok, settled: I thought about the idea to insert current conditions in the Precip spot in case it didn't find any precipitation, instead of "no precip ", was one of those things, you know, but I'd dig something flex like that.

I like the audible alerts thing, that would definitely be a fresh idea in the weather software world. How do you like this tornado warning

I got the same Snow alert today! Are you not in ATL jd? I'm taking a trip to Atlanta today and I'm hoping there's no snow down there!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    yep!
    !!HUZZAHHH IMG TAG ENABLED!!!

Ok, settled: I thought about the idea to insert current conditions in the Precip spot in case it didn't find any precipitation, instead of "no precip ", was one of those things, you know, but I'd dig something flex like that.

I like the audible alerts thing, that would definitely be a fresh idea in the weather software world. How do you like this tornado warning

I got the same Snow alert today! Are you not in ATL jd? I'm taking a trip to Atlanta today and I'm hoping there's no snow down there!

I'm in Brooklyn (Jamaica Bay) for the next 5 weeks.

I was supposed to go home (Atlanta) this afternoon, but the airlines called 21 hours prior to my flight and cancelled it because of "weather". They asked me to reshedule for an earlier flight and I asked... what's the weather gunna be like earlier in the day? That's a good question, she exclaimed. Well, sir... I can't answer it.

So I said: then my flight wasn't cacelled because of weather. Thanks for recording this conversation.

-- JDC
  3.    #143  
    mine is set for 8pm, I hope it settle down by that time
  4.    #144  
    yep my flight's been cancelled :*(
    hey guys, how do I get xcast to automatically start after a softreset?

on the earlier versions I just put a shortcut in to the windows/start up folder. this doesn't work with this version. I tried putting copies, short cuts, and both the ini and the mscr files. nothing worked.

thanks for any help, cody
  6.    #146  
    try to put this in the windows\startup:

launchXCastStartup.mscr
    Code:
    Sleep 120000
    Run("\Windows\Start Menu\MortScript\XCast.mscr"
    Edit ^ to the actual path of your XCast file. This waits 120 seconds after a reboot to run it, as per XDAlaw's tests, 120 seconds is optimal
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    awesome just awesome guys....got a question...with the new xcast is there a way to toggle it on and off on the updates...or is there a way to update manually? thanks in advanced...ohh and btw fo you think i will need the tornado watch in Hawaii??lol
    once you put the script in the windows/start menu/programs/mortcsript folder you can get to it by going to start/programs/mort and just hit the xcast script. it will then start. as far as i know there is no way to stop it unless you softreset.
    try to put this in the windows\startup:

launchXCastStartup.mscr
    Code:
    Sleep 120000
    Run("\Windows\Start Menu\MortScript\XCast.mscr"
    Edit ^ to the actual path of your XCast file. This waits 120 seconds after a reboot to run it, as per XDAlaw's tests, 120 seconds is optimal
    thanks, worked good
    A soft reset should not stop it either since it uses the notification queue to launch it every hour. TheForceCast menu should probably include an option to stop Xcast updates.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    thanks guys yeah well that is what i thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    A soft reset should not stop it either since it uses the notification queue to launch it every hour. TheForceCast menu should probably include an option to stop Xcast updates.
    your saying that a softreset shouldn't stop it if i have it in the startup folder?

if i'm understanding this correctly, once you start the script either manually or with it in startup, it will go forever updating every hour. if it is not in the startup, and you never start it manually, then it wont start in the next hour. or will it start back up in an hour after a softreset even if it is not in startup.

sorry if this is confusing, cody
  13.    #153  
    XCast isn't running, that's what you gotta remember. It tells Windows to launch it an hour after it last ran. So even if you soft reset, it will execute when that hour moment occurs.

That said, it's still good to run it manually (or automatically using the 'startup' technique) upon startup, because when you start up, the today screen reverts back to the carrier. It won't hurt anything to do so.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    okay g funk, the older verson of xcast doesnt update every hour now does it??? and will forecast still work without xcast??
  15.    #155  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rino808 View Post
    okay g funk, the older verson of xcast doesnt update every hour now does it??? and will forecast still work without xcast??
    yeah i'm pretty certain forcecast requires xcast for the weather data. Pretty slick job on jd's part for mixing those two and getting more out of it.

The original xcast does not autoupdate, which reminds me I gotta update post 1.
    I'm still tweaking TheForceCast.mscr to better use all the xCast features. I do plan on a "Stop Updating" feature of the Setup Submenu(s).

Tonight, while snowed in at a hotel full of stranded flight attendents, I stayed in my room and worked on the latest "evolution" of xCast. Has anyone tried to enable the Owner Notes option of the Today screen?

If not, try this simple illustration of the power of what I'm in the middle of.

Go to Settings, Owner Information, Notes.

Key in a message to yourself. "Gotta Check the Weather"

Now click on Options.

Leave the Identification Information unchecked, but enable the Notes.

Press OK.

Turn your power off (put the phone to sleep).

Turn it back on.

This is where I want to write.

I've figured out how to (properly) write to this field, by writing variable data to the User Notes registry (binary entry copies itself on refresh to the string entry). Of course, my plan is to have xCast write to this area, too... but with more detailed info.

Here's the problem. When the User Notes is refreshed, the option for notes on power up is disabled. I can't find the registry entry for this option to re-enable it.

Any thoughts?

Here's my code so far:

Code:
    If (DisplayMode eq "ownernotes")

NotesString = "CURRENT WEATHER FOR [" & ZipCode &"]^CR^^LF^"\
      & " Location: " &CurrentStation &"^CR^^LF^"\
      & " Update:^TAB^" &LastUpdate &"^CR^^LF^"
    #	RegDelete("HKCU", "ControlPanel\Owner","Owner Notes" )
    	Sleep (5000)
    	RegWriteString ("HKCU", "ControlPanel\Owner","Owner Notes", %NotesString%)
    # 	RegWriteString ("HKCU","ControlPanel\Owner","Notes", %NotesString%) <- this does not work... cannot overwrite exist. string
    	Message ("Owner Notes Updated.")
    EndIf
    I can write perfectly, but can't seem to re-enable the Show Owner Notes on powerup.

Help?

-- John
    Last edited by jdcochran; 03/17/2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: removed description of deleting registry entry
    Quote Originally Posted by Rino808 View Post
    awesome just awesome guys....got a question...with the new xcast is there a way to toggle it on and off on the updates...or is there a way to update manually? thanks in advanced...ohh and btw fo you think i will need the tornado watch in Hawaii??lol
    The disable feature is coming soon.

Until then, create a separate script with a single line of code:

RemoveNotifications( SystemPath("ScriptPath")\"XCast.mscr" )

As for the tornado warning in Hawaii, why stop there? The National Weather service has a Hurricane code we can extract.

-- JDC
    I've been following this thread with great interest- I love the fact that this lean script is so functional and uses so few resources. But I'm a bit confused as to how to get this running.
    Is there a Sprint WX-optimized version, or do I have to change the code using a text editor? Do I need an .ini or "controlling" program in addition to the script at this point? And I'm using MortScript 4.0 RC9- do I need to upgrade?
    Thank you, guys!
  19.    #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by neill View Post
    I've been following this thread with great interest- I love the fact that this lean script is so functional and uses so few resources. But I'm a bit confused as to how to get this running.
    Is there a Sprint WX-optimized version, or do I have to change the code using a text editor? Do I need an .ini or "controlling" program in addition to the script at this point? And I'm using MortScript 4.0 RC9- do I need to upgrade?
    Thank you, guys!
    Check the first post, I just updated with new instructions on the latest file
    Check the first post, I just updated with new instructions on the latest file
    You may want to modify the instructions ....

"... so reading the screen above tells me that when it checked at 8PM, take your umbrella because rain is coming at 9PM. If it's raining outside when it checks, it will say "Rain @ Now!". Note: After 4PM there are no more high temperatures so it only shows Lo."

to something like:

"... so reading the screen above tells me that when it checked at 8am, take your ice scraper because it's snowing now. And you may want to touch the speed dial on the left to give the dog a voice command on the home answering machine saying: "sorry buddie, but daddy's stuck in a city that doesn't 'sleet', so you may have to hold it in for a few days." Also, you may want to paint a mustache on the kid on the right. If you call my office, tell them that I hate them for this assignment. And if you call the wife, tell her that I miss her."

Seriously, the old instructions don't apply to the new pic.

-- JDC
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast