Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    ok, here is what I did....

all from the treo... I downloaded the xcast file from the first post, saved it somewhere, hit properties to rename it with changing the file type from .txt to .mscr, placed it in start up folder so it will make the reg change each time I softreset. then to get it all going without doing the softreset I taped the script and .... it worked.

this maybe nothing big for some, but for me.... well I can't belive how hard I make things out to be sometimes.

ok, is there anything else I should do to keep it updating hourly? I have phonealarm, but allready have the treo light running as my program when profile switch. from what I can figure the update thing may still be in the works.

is there any reason I should put either a shortcut or a copy in to my windows/startmenu/programs/morty folder?

thanks guys, cody
    what I did was put a copy in my windows/start menu/programs folder so it is easier just to manualy update it once in a while.

by the way... it looks as if this is giving the "feels like temp" instead of the "actually temp".
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    Yes, I'll be looking forward to your updates jd! Can we get a weather manager script to go with it with an ini file that allows the user to
    1) set zip code
    2) select how frequently to update
    3) something else cool like choosing different data/formats.

Thanks!
    We were thinking the same thing. Code snippetts exist for much of this already. Give me a few chimes of ScottieMo's code and I think I'll have it soon. I'm thinking that all I need to do is run the application, and set a notification to run it again at the next interval, which sets a notification to run it again at the next interval...just like the hourly chime script does.

I will need to make minor edits to the original post of the Xcast script, too, to pass the zip code, phone model, mode preference, etc.

There will be no warranties, expressed or implied, and I can only verify/test on a Palm Verizon Treo 700w. Also, give me a few days on hold with Verizon Customer Service while I make an inquiry about the out-of-pocket charges I may incur, or if any contract agreements will be breached, when I obliterate their wanton and blatant advertisement from the face of my phone.

I know, I know... I can delete it and gain some Today screen space... but the previous sentence was so fun to write.

-- JDC

"your honor, rather than look out the window, I wanted to look at my phone to see if it was raining. I already am FORCED to look at verizon's logo when I take the cover off the phone to reboot it."
  4.    #24  
    edit away! I'll update the first post as required.

Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    by the way... it looks as if this is giving the "feels like temp" instead of the "actually temp".
    I wrote in the first post that it uses the Feels Like temperature in the "what's shown" section.

I chose that because since we're limited by the amount of information that's shown (windiness, humidity, etc obviously don't fit), a 'feels like' provides more info in terms of what it's actually like out there. If you want the temperature, just replace
    Code:
    	FindIndex = Find(Contents, "<flik>")
    	Contents = SubStr(Contents, (%FindIndex% + 6) )
    	FindIndex = Find(Contents, "</flik>")
    with
    Code:
    	FindIndex = Find(Contents, "<tmp>")
    	Contents = SubStr(Contents, (%FindIndex% + 5) )
    I will add it to the main code only after JD's finishes making his edits, or maybe he'll incorporate it into his update & ini file ('feels like' or 'actual temp')
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    I will add it to the main code only after JD's finishes making his edits, or maybe he'll incorporate it into his update & ini file ('feels like' or 'actual temp')
    I'm forecasting that he might get to it when he "feels like" it.

Seriously, what's the diff? Is the "feels like" temp a forecasted one? One that takes into account wind chill?

Also, I plan on an interactive mode, where you can display all the info on a message screen.

So, what's it all mean? Can I go to the website and decipher the available data or are u a memeber of the weather watchers club and have special priveleges?

(once again, I search for an emoticon with a tongue in its cheek).

-- JDC
  6.    #26  
    on a clear day the temperatures will be the same, but on high windchill days (here in the northeast for example) the two can vary wildly

weather wants to be free, man!
    Last edited by g-funkster; 03/03/2007 at 06:24 PM.
    edit away! I'll update the first post as required.

I wrote in the first post that it uses the Feels Like temperature in the "what's shown" section.

I chose that because since we're limited by the amount of information that's shown (windiness, humidity, etc obviously don't fit), a 'feels like' provides more info in terms of what it's actually like out there. If you want the temperature, just replace
    Code:
    with
    Code:
    I experimented a little with this. How can I extract BOTH values?

-- JDC
  8.    #28  
    tmp before flik:
    Code:
    	CurrentTemperature = SubStr(Contents, 1, (%FindIndex% - 1) )

CurrentFeelsLike = SubStr(Contents, 1, (%FindIndex% - 1) )
    tmp before flik:
    Code:
    	CurrentTemperature = SubStr(Contents, 1, (%FindIndex% - 1) )

CurrentFeelsLike = SubStr(Contents, 1, (%FindIndex% - 1) )
    ahhhh........ that would have been an easier fix than I tried.

I think I'll keep my solution, since it allows for more future flexibility. Instead of discarding the piece of the xml doc that comes before each desired search string, I've coded so that the entire xml doc is always available for parsing.

Example: suppose I code an interactive mode where users select what data they'd like to see, like sunrise/sunset... or tomorrow's forecast.... maybe another option to e-mail my boss if the conditions get warm enough and winds calm enough to leave work early and go fly my RC planes.

So, to keep this option, we'll need to keep the first instance of the "Contents" string variable intact and usable for all string searches.

The code changes will be minor (and subtle) for this, similar to:

BEFORE:

CurrentFlik = SubStr(Contents, 1, (%FindIndex% - 1) )

AFTER:

CurrentFlik = SubStr(Contents, (%FindIndex% + 6) )
    FindIndex = Find(CurrentFlik, "</flik>")
    CurrentFlik = SubStr(CurrentFlik, 1, (%FindIndex% - 1) )

-- JDC

I chose that because since we're limited by the amount of information that's shown)
    i'm sorry I must have overlooked that part. the reason I thought it was weird is because it displays the actual low temp right beside it. no biggie to me. I was just reporting what I found. thought I was helping. guess not.

cody
    WARNING!!![ 1 ] !!!!!!! If you edited or already use the Xcast.mscr code previously posted, BACK IT UP before you try the version in this .zip. I've made extensive mods to the original and my version is hard-coded for my phone.

OK, I've made it more complicated than it needs to be, but here's a raw look at what I've accomplished so far, starting with a very nice piece of code from the G-Funkster dude, dude.

I got hung up on the interactive mode, because there's a SLEW of weather data waiting to be displayed for the fishemen and flyers and other weather watchers among us. So please excuse my tardiness. Hopefully, you'll get a "eureka" moment when you see what took me so long to code and test.

I'd be interested in any comments, positive and negative, as well as some testers... and... oh yeah, someone to tackle the notification section. Also, I'm struggling with how to incorporate a .ini file and still make this same script run in interactive mode and in auto "blind" mode during the update intervals.

WARNING!!!![ 2 ] !!!!!!!!!!!! I have not read Hannip's Guidelines post yet.

To install: put both .mscr files in the same dir and tap the "TheForceCast.mscr".

Enjoy, find and report errors, bugs, feature requests, etc. Above all, don't pull any punches... and don't ask me when it'll be finished. This one could take weeks... unless someone wants to take a module or two. I really would like some feedback on the general structure -- before it gets (more) out of hand.

As is, the code is very useful (imho).

-- JDC
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jdcochran; 03/04/2007 at 11:53 PM.
    hmm, I get an invalid attachment error when I click on the zip to download

ah, nevermind, I see you were updating it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    hmm, I get an invalid attachment error when I click on the zip to download

ah, nevermind, I see you were updating it.
    Ah.. nevermind... I see you saw I was updating it. This is like a cell phone loop, when you know your wife called, couldnt answer, called her when she was leaving a message... I call this phenomena: a

MOBILE-usTrip.

-- JDC
    Good job jd! It's taking shape. I had to change the xcast.mscr to write it to the other carrier reg value to get it to show on my sprint 700wx so we will need some logic there. I like the full data in a message feature. Very nice!

We need to get Mort to give us a fullscreen window to play with. I've had other ideas that could make good use out of that too.
  15.    #35  
    such cool work so far man!
    such cool work so far man!
    Thanks, guys.

One thing... I think my "fix" for display of the Verizon status line might be treading on my phone radio service. I have the sneaking suspicion that the key value that I substituted is looked at periodically by a running program for phone status. If it doesn't "see" 'Verizon Wireless' it reports that the phone service is unavailable and tries to re-connect.

Hmmmm.

Will someone else with a Verizon 700w test this for me? If it reeks havoc, then return the appropriate registry value to "Verizon Wireless" and comment the line of code that updates the display on the Today Screen. I plan on testing by calling myself when I detect certain "iffy" scenarios.

I've noticed this anomaly when I move from location to location.

Thanks,

JDC

p.s.: Funkster, remind me to ask what phone you're using in case I forget to re-read the original post.
    Last edited by jdcochran; 03/05/2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: JDC -- you're not paying attention to your grammar, but who cares, huh?
    Reminder to self:

Detect if phone is "OFF". If so, can't connect to internet.
    Can you guys post your ideas for an icon for this script "Xcast/ theForceCast". Not sure which name it will be going by. I had an idea of a crystal ball with an X near it, or sun/clouds with an X.

Give me your ideas in the icon request thread.
    how about one of those dark clouds with a yellow lighting bolt.

Dunno, I'm usually not good at this.
    Quote Originally Posted by fearthefox View Post
    Can you guys post your ideas for an icon for this script "Xcast/ theForceCast". Not sure which name it will be going by. I had an idea of a crystal ball with an X near it, or sun/clouds with an X.

Give me your ideas in the icon request thread.
    Um... I'm thinking of Jerry Seinfeld's dad, dressed as a Jedi Knight, weilding a light saber and shaking it at the sun and moon.... no... POINTING with it at a weather map.

Seriously, since I think I have dubbed the controlling app TheForceCast, which is a play on the word "forecast" with a StarWars slant, and the word "Cast", as I hope to pay homage to many (other) coders in the cast...

I'm thinking a weather-icon-ish background with a simple Light Saber morfed into a lightning bolt and superimposed in the foreground.

See if you can create such a thing with the attached files.

-- JDC
    Attached Files Attached Files
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast