Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314 LastLast
    I think I am using RC8 of 4. Is 4 now final?
  2.    #242  
    4.0 yes is final.
    Hrmm, this is just not displaying on my carrier line. I am not getting that error message though on the plus side.

Any ideas on what is wrong? It worked fine with the TA version. Do my INI's look OK?

Is there an idiots guide to getting the carrier line to display the weather data?

I think its getting the data, but I dont think its able to put it in the carrier line.
  4.    #244  
    Do you use Verizon? Try setting WMPlatformModel = "700w" instead of wx if so.
    Bingo! Thanks! That did the trick!

Is there anything special I need to do to keep the carrier portion running (put the Xcast.mscr in the startup dir) after a softreset?
  6.    #246  
    Nope, it doesn't need any additional configuration for it to work at whatever interval you specified in the ini.
    Ive noticed the current info layout really sucks....No offence to who put it together. Unfortunately the weather source/.....Storm+8p is far from accurate much of the time.Maybe making some changes to the overall app giving it a current layout something like,

11p>75*F(Prcip.40% Cloud)

11p>99*F(Prcip.10% Sun)

11p>20*F(Prcip.80% Snow)

11p>80*F(Prcip.70% Storm)

11p>80*F(Prcip.100% Rain)

The forecast layouts above gets to the point and will fit in the carrier display.When you see that 80% you have a real idea if it's going to rain within 12 hours Or if your in a meeting,Take a glance at your treo...hmm I may need to grab my umbrella .Xcast says the chance of precipitation is 80% with rain in the area..Does this make sense to anyone.
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/05/2007 at 11:23 PM.
    I think that its nice to know that if its 12pm, that it will rain at 4pm. To me, the idea of Xcast is that it is a brief weather app. If I wanted a full forecast, I just use weather.com.

I like it just the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Ive noticed the current info layout really sucks....No offence to who put it together. Unfortunately the weather source/.....Storm+8p is far from accurate much of the time.Maybe making some changes to the overall app giving it a current layout something like,

11p>75*F(Prcip.40% Cloud)

11p>99*F(Prcip.10% Sun)

11p>20*F(Prcip.80% Snow)

11p>80*F(Prcip.70% Storm)

11p>80*F(Prcip.100% Rain)

The forecast layouts above gets to the point and will fit in the carrier display.When you see that 80% you have a real idea if it's going to rain within 12 hours Or if your in a meeting,Take a glance at your treo...hmm I may need to grab my umbrella .Xcast says the chance of precipitation is 80% with rain in the area..Does this make sense to anyone.
    What raw information is provided? If you can tell me that, I'll work on a better display. I agree with Sling that some key info is missing.
    Well we use the very informative layout above and add a tab that takes you into details.Raw information hmm..I have no clue.ive never worked with xcast before but im going to give it a try.Anyone have a clue?please join in on the build.
  11.    #251  
    Xcast engine does not listen to girlie percentages!! I kid, I've been thinking about adding the % but there really is no space.

And hi/lo information missing? Well, we could have anticipated folks wanting to customize their displays.

The engine is not exactly geared towards accuracy, it's geared towards solving the issue of 'PM Showers'. When XCast tells you shower at 5pm, it's never far from that time (in my experience) and much more precise than the definition of 'PM'.

But that's what MS is all about, the info is there, feel free to pick through what works best for you. Unfortunately, it wasn't written to be very flexible about these things so it may require a bit of tinkering.
    THIS IS MY LOCAL CURRENT FORCAST,

Today
    Jul 06

Details T-storms
    Hi: 91° Lo: 71°
    Day: Slight chance of thunder with light rain showers. High 91F, humidity 50%. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.
    30%
    Night: Mostly cloudy skies. Low 71F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph.
    15%

THE CURRENT XCAST IS FOCASTING (NO PRECIP) AHEAD...I CURRENTLY HAVE SHOWERS.

IF WE ADD RAIN % AND CURRENT CONDTION HMM i WOULD HAVE GOT OUT OF A 4 HOUR MEETING KNOWING IT WAS CURRENTLY RAINING..OR CLOSE TO LOL

HMM WE COULD GO WITH WEATHER CHANNEL FORCAST OR WEATHER UNDERGROUND MAYBE
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/06/2007 at 11:59 AM.
    If (PrecipFound <> 0)
    FinalString = %Conditioner% & "@" & "Now!"
    EndIf

FindIndex = Find(Contents, %baseHour%)
    while ((PrecipFound = 0)&&(FindIndex <> 0))
    #Search For Current Hour (24)
    Contents = SubStr(Contents, (%FindIndex% + 9) )
    FindIndex = Find(Contents, "c=""")
    Contents = SubStr(Contents, (%FindIndex% + 3) )
    FindIndex = Find(Contents, """")

WHICH WAY DO i GO WHICH WAY DO I GO LOL LOL..
    ARE THERE ANY EXPERT SCRIPTERS THAT CAN HELP ME BUILD THE PRECIP % ??? && CURRENT CONDITION WRITE/SUN,CLOUDY,STORM,RAIN,SNOW,TORNADO ,HURRCANE,EARTHQUAKE HEHEHE
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/06/2007 at 05:18 PM.
    Choice 1
    10a: 87 (90/75)Storms+7p
    hmm it currently 10am,your temp,there are storms at 10am thru 7pm
    DONT RIDE THAT BIKE

Choice 2
    10am>87*SUNNY(Prcip.30%)
    It,s currently 10am,Your temp is 87 degress,Sunny with a 30% chance of precip
    RIDE THAT BIKE

Both choices are the same time,same place.
    Choice 1 says storms till 7pm yet there is only 30% chance of rain as can be seen by choice 2.
    Choice 2 says 30% of precip with nice sunny skys

I look at choice 2 as WP.You see your current forcast displayed.If you want to get the what is going to happen info through out the day we can add a tab in TA main menu that will take you into a detail forcast.You would then find that there is a chance of storms in the late afternoon and evening.This again will have you on that bike steaming down the trail...wind hitting your face as you enjoy your summer day knowing when the sky will fall.
    The outcome is 100% better then choice 1 were currently using to control are everyday outdoor life.
    These simple features can be added to xcast improving the app for many more will use. Unfortunately I am currently sick as a dog so I will not be able to work on making xcast more productive today..maybe tomorrow depending how sling feels PLUS
    I have not asked permission from the builder of this app yet to make changes
    Last edited by slingbox; 07/07/2007 at 11:53 AM.
    You could build an artificial neural network subroutine to parse and process the REST of the weather data that is also available... but that would require talents beyond my realm, which teeters between serenity and sublimity.

Xcast currently only pulls "current conditions" or "CC" data. There is additional .XML data available that is related to forecasting, in more detail. Go to the weather website and experiment with other info.

As for how much info we can stuff into the carrier display without scrolling... I think the code is good "as is".

As for more details on the carrier line... a scrolling option would need to be coded...

... by someone else but me. Have at it.

-- JDC
  16.    #256  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Choice 1
    10a: 87 (90/75)Storms+7p
    hmm it currently 10am,your temp,there are storms at 10am thru 7pm
    DONT RIDE THAT BIKE
    On the newer version of xcast, the '+' before 7p means next day, as opposed to the '@' sign, which would mean today. However, I don't see how the above is possible because XCast is only supposed to pull 24 hours of data.

Either way, you're skipping ahead in your logic. What is being shown is that the Storms start at around 7pm. Do you see how knowing that may be more useful, in terms of, 'do I have to carry my umbrella?'
    Man, I've looked at this a couple of times to try to get it to work with my 750 though no joy as of yet. I always get an error message and can't get updates
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    to xcast team,

i have a few questions.

question # 1...
    with your permission to use xcast in the treo alert app, i have been toying around with different xcast displays. trying to give the users more options. i have been able to get the probability of precipitation as one of the options. my problem/question is how do i get the Probability of precipitation for the day and not just the hour?

here is part of the code that i think is just giving me the hourly probability of precipitation...
    Code:
    	FindIndex = Find(ContentsCC, "<ppcp>")
    	CurrentHourppcp = SubStr(ContentsCC, (%FindIndex% + 6) )
    	FindIndex = Find(CurrentHourppcp, "</ppcp>")
    	CurrentHourppcp = SubStr(CurrentHourppcp, 1, (%FindIndex% - 1) )
    	CurrentHourppcp0 = CurrentHourppcp
    and i would like to use this to give me the daily probability of precipitation...
    Code:
    	FindIndex = Find(ContentsDF, "<ppcp>")
    	CurrentDayppcp = SubStr(ContentsDF, (%FindIndex% + 6) )
    	FindIndex = Find(CurrentDayppcp, "</ppcp>")
    	CurrentDayppcp = SubStr(CurrentDayppcp, 1, (%FindIndex% - 1) )
    	CurrentDayppcp0 = CurrentDayppcp
    i don't know for sure that the daily probability of precipitation doesn't work. it just seems to give me the same results.

question # 2...
    along the same lines i would like to display the "current text" for the day as well as for the hour.
    hear is what you guys already had for the hourly...
    Code:
    	FindIndex = Find(ContentsCC, "<t>")
    	CurrentText = SubStr(ContentsCC, (%FindIndex% + 3) )
    	FindIndex = Find(CurrentText, "</t>")
    	CurrentText = SubStr(CurrentText, 1, (%FindIndex% - 1) )
    	CurrentCond0 = CurrentText
    and I'm trying to get the "current text" for the day like this...

Code:
    	FindIndex = Find(ContentsDF, "<t>")
    	CurrentDayText = SubStr(ContentsDF, (%FindIndex% + 3) )
    	FindIndex = Find(CurrentDayText, "</t>")
    	CurrentDayText = SubStr(CurrentDayText, 1, (%FindIndex% - 1) )
    	CurrentDayCond0 = CurrentDayText
    as far as i can see, if i pull me data from the "ContentsCC" i should get the hourly versions. if i pull my data from the "ContentsDF" i should get the daily versions. is this right?

thanks for any and all your help, Cody

Last edited by codyppc; 07/31/2007 at 03:56 PM.
    Bump
    That looks really nice, I like the new Xcast! Where do I get it?