Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    I think the latest ForceCast is here (page 4, so you might already have it):
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...=138134&page=4

As for an easier way to what you describe, using Resco, instead of executing the script, first copy it. Then browse to \Windows\Start Menu and do 'Paste Shortcut', then you can execute it right from your 'Programs' menu like any other program.
    Thanks for the excellent tip!

Turns out that I do have the latest build of the ForceCast. I'll be checking this thread for further developments.
    Quote Originally Posted by neill View Post
    Thanks for the excellent tip!

Turns out that I do have the latest build of the ForceCast. I'll be checking this thread for further developments.
    of course, all .mscr files can be executed this way. an added bonus is that when placed directly in or under the \windows \start menu\ structure, they and their shortcuts are voice commandable, too. I also noticed that .ini files try to "run" when the voice command resolves. I may re-name theforcecast.ini to something else when I get around to the "official" release...ETA sometime this or next week.

-- jdc
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcochran View Post
    of course, all .mscr files can be executed this way. an added bonus is that when placed directly in or under the \windows \start menu\ structure, they and their shortcuts are voice commandable, too. I also noticed that .ini files try to "run" when the voice command resolves. I may re-name theforcecast.ini to something else when I get around to the "official" release...ETA sometime this or next week.

-- jdc
    I can hardly wait-- you've done quite a lot already
    I can hardly wait-- you've done quite a lot already
    no applause, please. just donate to your favorite charity. mine is Ice Princess Hotties Battered by Mother Nature.

Do I need to put xcast in the startup folder or will it automatically run from the windows scheduler after I run it once.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  6.    #186  
    after you run it once it will reschedule itself based on the criteria in the ini file (default: 1 hour). So you don't have to do the startup folder thing.

It's nice though to call it in startup because upon startup, the carrier will fill the entry. Here's a way to do that (separate running script):
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...08#post1220708
    thanks
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    After finding this site...

http://www.xefteri.com/articles/show.cfm?id=29

I think I'll add a few features to allow checking of weather in certain "cities", including foreign ones. To do this, you'll simply key in a city name and it'll send it to the weather site, create a temporary .mscr containing the search results, and you'll choose the appropriate location (Athens Greece vs Athens GA vs Athens TN... or New York LaGuardia vs. New York JFK vs New York Central Park)

I will also incorporate some recent features discussed in a side forum recently. And that's all I have to say about that.

I don't think the coding required to extract 4, 8, 12, 24-hr forecast data will return better results than what web-based forecasts can depict. I like the simple graphics of the web-based sites, vs. the raw data from the xml page. So, I will not continue on my original plans to provide forecast info extracted from xcast. I MIGHT add a simple % chance of precip for the next x hrs somewhere in the mix.

I think that the original grandiose plans to create a data logging mode will be put on the backburner. Maybe a separate script (later) that does nothing but log weather data at certain locations and times would be a nice project for a newbie that likes to experiment. Maybe output to a .csv file that can be graphed easily in Excel. Yeah, that would be kewl.

This all should be relatively simple to do... just gotta find the time.

Maybe if I'd stay focused on finalizing rather than criticizing.

-- JDC
    Any chance of your much awaited ForceCast update? It would be way cool if it easily worked with voice command.

I've got your favorite charity scoped out :-)
    Any chance of your much awaited ForceCast update? It would be way cool if it easily worked with voice command.

I've got your favorite charity scoped out :-)
    its about a week away. been workin on .ini startup and re-organizing the main menu.

my fave charity is me, btw.

jdc
    my fave charity is me, btw.

jdc
    I'd gladly dig deep!
    I'd gladly dig deep!
    can we go 'deutch' on this? in other verds, donate to Mort.

- jdc
    Attached is a major update to the subject utils. Please test on your platform(s) and let me know what changes you had to make to the running code in order to make it work for you. I still cannot programmatically detect your platforms/models, so I need to know what worked or didn't work for you.

Enjoy.

-- JDC

Code:
    TheForceCast.mscr Release Notes
    ===============================
    Version 1.0  04/07/2007

jdcochran@hotmail.com
    -------------------------------
    Introduction:

This collection of an interactive and stand-alone utility gathers weather
    data for display and storage on your PPC or PC.  Although the application(s)
    were developed primarily for PPC, many of the interactive weather features 
    also function on the PC.  The primary purpose for making the application available on
    the PC platform was to quickly test the functionality of the menu structure.
    Depending on demand, a future version may expand on the PC capabilities.  

The utility was developed and tested on a Palm Treo 700w running Windows Mobile 5.

The primary source of weather data is "http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/"
    Simply passing a zipcode or standardized location code string to this site produces an .xml
    file that is parsed for weather info.  The same site is used to search for city codes, also.

The "workhorse" application is Xcast.mscr.  It was originally developed by "G-Funkster", as
    he is known on TreoCentral.com forums.  It was heavily modified to add other features and to 
    work in conjunction with TheForceCast.mscr, an interactive menu-driven front-end application. 

Thanks to the codesters on TreoCentral.com for their suggestions, code samples, code overhauls, 
    and their rigorous testing and suggesting.  

Many tens of hours of development time were spent developing and testing these utilities.
    If you use these utilities and are compelled to dig shallowly or deeply into your pocket
    to offer some sort of renumeration, please "donate" to Mirko Schenk, the author
    of the MortScript command interpreter, at:

http://www.sto-helit.de/

Make sure you mention Xcast.mscr or TheForceCast.mscr in the paypal "Payment For" entry.

Included Files:

TheForceCast.mscr - main interactive front end app for obtaining weather data.
    TFC.ini - contains Settings, ZipList, and CityList sections.
    Xcast.mscr - main weather-gathering app
    Xcast.ini - contains Settings and Parameters sections 
    XcastParameters.ini - dynamic .ini -- is overwritten by TheForceCast.mscr
    XcastSound*.wav - sound files related to precip strings.
    TFC-ReleaseNotes.txr - this file

Installation Instructions:

Before executing the scripts, take a moment to analyze and edit
    the three .ini files, tailored for your platform and preferences.

1) TFC.ini 	- edit your software settings for browser and text file editor.
    		- edit your preferences for up to 4 city locations.
    		- edit your preferences for up to 4 zipcode locations. 

note: to determine your "home" setting for MyFavCityCode[1], enter the following
    	   url in any browser:  http://xoap.weather.com/search/search?where=EnterCityStringHere

2) Xcast.ini - enter your Platform settings.  Note: certain "non-Treo" platforms will in fact
    		   work, but the only code check that is performed is for the "Treo".  If you have 
    		   a non-treo PPC, let me know how this util works for you and I'll modify a future 
    		   release to check for your platform.
     		 - you can either manually enter your preferences in the [Parameters] section or
    		   you can set them interactively in the Settings menus selections of TheForceCast.
    		   Remember to Write Xcast parameters to make these changes active.

3) XcastParameters.ini - set these to initial preferences.  They will be overwritten by
    				 subsequent executions of Xcast.ini via TheForceCast.ini.

When you set the directory name for "XcastSoundsDir", copy or move the .wav files here.

---------------------------------
    Key Features:

- with the city options, weather from any city, including foreign ones, can be found.
    - TheForceCast "remembers" Xcast settings from the last execution.  These are read from XcastParameters.ini.
    - The Main Menu (and all others) displays current settings as applicable.
    - Weather sounds, if enabled, are programmed to alert you of pending or current precipitation.  
      A "vibrate only" mode is also available.  Sounds provided can be replaced with other .wav files, including
      "empty" or silent sound files.  To disable a sound, rename the .wav file.  Doing so will NOT cause the script to stall.

---------------------------------
    Main Menu Selections:

City or ZipCode Weather - runs Xcast in interactive mode.  Displays weather details on screen in a BigMessage window. 
    				  Does not interfere with existing (or future) Xcast update(s).

City or ZipCode Xcast Now - replaces Xcast Active Loc'n variable with new selection.  When executed, all OTHER active
    				    parameters in TheForceCast will be written to a new XcastParameters.ini file.  In essence, 
    				    these menu items will cause Xcast to executes differently now and on its next scheduled execution.

City or ZipCode WebWeather - pass city or ZipCode parameters to PPC-friendly web urls.

City or ZipCode Reset to Home - resets TheForceCast internal settings per the Default City and ZipCode in TFC.ini.

City or ZipCode Location Change - interactive, manual entry of any city or zipcode.

ZipCode Lookup - USPS site, ZipCode seatch.

TFC/Xcast Setup Options - 

SetUp[1] = "Reset/Remove Xcast Notifications"
    	SetUp[2] = "Reset City/Zip to Home Locations"
    	SetUp[3] = "Edit/View TFC.ini"
    	SetUp[4] = "Edit/View Xcast.ini" 
    	SetUp[5] = "Set Xcast Temperature Prefs [" &TempMode &"]"
    	SetUp[6] = "Set Xcast Update Prefs [" &UpdateIntervalUnit &"]"
    	SetUp[7] = "Set Xcast Update Time Interval [" &UpdateInterval &"]"
    	SetUp[8] = "Set Xcast Display Prefs [" &DisplayMode &"]"
    	SetUp[9] = "Set Xcast Sound Options [" &XcastSounds &"]"
    	SetUp[10] = "Write Settings to Xcast Param file"
    	SetUp[11] = "Reset xCast Settings to Defaults"
    	SetUp[12] = "Reset Carrier Name to " & WMCarrier
    	SetUp[13] = "Exit to Main Menu"
    	SetUp[14] = "Quit/Abort"

------------------------------------
    Additional info:

See additional notes in the .ini and .mscr files.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jdcochran; 04/08/2007 at 06:54 AM.
    Im so glad to see more wav files added to scripts. they make them so much more fun. Sweet work JD !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Im so glad to see more wav files added to scripts. they make them so much more fun. Sweet work JD !!!
    Thanks. I'll like the sounds, until they go off in church.

BTW, there was a slight error in Xcast.mscr.

I've uploaded the fix to the latest .zip, but you'll need to make this edit in Xcast.mscr:

If (XcastMode = "reset")

to:
    If (XcastMode eq "reset")
    JDCochran-- in your release notes, you include the url http://xoap.weather.com/search/searc...CityStringHere in order to obtain city codes.

This is the text from the page that comes up in my PC browser (Opera): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <!--This document is intended only for use by authorized licensees of The Weather Channel. Unauthorized use is prohibited. Copyright 1995-2005, The Weather Channel Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved.-->
    <search ver="2.0" />

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I browsed Yahoo weather, and came up with a string for my hometown, Irvington, NY, from the url. It's USNY0713; is this the same parameter you need in TFC.ini?
    Last edited by neill; 04/08/2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Found more information
    JDCochran-- in your release notes, you include the url http://xoap.weather.com/search/searc...CityStringHere in order to obtain city codes.

This is the text from the page that comes up in my PC browser (Opera): <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <!--This document is intended only for use by authorized licensees of The Weather Channel. Unauthorized use is prohibited. Copyright 1995-2005, The Weather Channel Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved.-->
    <search ver="2.0" />

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I browsed Yahoo weather, and came up with a string for my hometown, Irvington, NY, from the url. It's USNY0713; is this the same parameter you need in TFC.ini?
    yes. same code.... but
    replace the string "EnterCityStringHere" with "irving, ny"

jdc
    yes. same code.... but
    replace the string "EnterCityStringHere" with "irving, ny"

jdc
    Got it. Now a question about the sound files, please: is it possible to place the folder XcastSoundsDir on my SD card? If so, which file do I write this in, and what path do I use?
    Got it. Now a question about the sound files, please: is it possible to place the folder XcastSoundsDir on my SD card? If so, which file do I write this in, and what path do I use?
    yes. that's where mine are and where the example was shown in the Settings section of Xcast.ini.

I created a dir --

XcastSupport off the root of the storage card and placed the .wav files there.

- jdc
    yes. that's where mine are and where the example was shown in the Settings section of Xcast.ini.

I created a dir --

XcastSupport off the root of the storage card and placed the .wav files there.

- jdc
    Got it-- I'd overlooked your example-- I created an XCastSupport folder on the SD card, and dropped in the sound files. Is there any way to test the sounds? There's no precip in NY!