Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    OK, so I have a 700wx with Sprint. The coverage in a few spots in my town is a bit iffy, so in places where there's no signal, the phone starts roaming.

My problem is that there are two other towers that are used for roaming. Alltel's SID 42 tower and Verizon's SID 4192 tower. Now, the signal from Verizon's tower is nice and strong (RSSI is around -69 to -75), and the signal from the Alltel tower is very weak (RSSI is around -97 to -105). Unfortunately, whenever there's any signal from the Alltel's tower, the phone uses that instead of the Verizon tower. I guess Alltel is above Verizon in the PRL (I have the latest PRL).

Is there any way to tell my phone to NOT connect to that Alltel tower? Or is there any way to make my phone stay on the Verizon tower?
    Ummm switch to Verizon?

Unless there's a roam only feature, I don't think so.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Yes, I have roam only, but I can't specify which carrier to roam on.

The Sprint signal is good enough in my house and where I usually go, so it's not worth it to switch to Verizon. The problem only happens in a few places where reception is not so great.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    You could if we knew how to load PRLs manually on the phone. Basically what you would do is open the PRL file and just delete the line that has the tower you want off.
    I think this is possible on the 6700 but not on the treo yet.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    So is the weaker signal from the Alltel tower actually causing you problems like dropped calls? If the signal was that weak then I'm surprised that the phone doesn't switch to the Verizon tower.

To answer your question though, the only way it could be done is through modifying the PRL. That's assuming, of course, that the reason your phone is connecting to the Alltel tower is because it's truly listed as a higher priority in the PRL. TreoCentral probably isn't going to be the best place to get help for that sort of thing, I would check out howardforums or wirelessadvisor. I know that there are people who have definitely "decrypted" the PRL files to plain text for analysis, but I don't know if anyone's ever modified one before and then reloaded it to their phone. I'm sure it can be done, but it probably isn't a trivial thing. Good luck!
    I have Sprint and their phones have the option for

SPRINT ONLY
    AUTOMATIC
    ROAMING ONLY

Now if you have these options for Alltel, I would suggest choosing ALLTEL ONLY.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdoc View Post
    You could if we knew how to load PRLs manually on the phone. Basically what you would do is open the PRL file and just delete the line that has the tower you want off.
    I think this is possible on the 6700 but not on the treo yet.
    Yeah, if only I could edit the PRL. Well, here's hoping that someone figures out how to do that on our Treos.

I guess I was hoping that there may be a hidden ## code to block an SID or carrier. Oh well...
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    So is the weaker signal from the Alltel tower actually causing you problems like dropped calls? If the signal was that weak then I'm surprised that the phone doesn't switch to the Verizon tower.
    Well, what's happening, is that it switches to the Verizon tower when the signal from the Alltel tower gets around -105, then a few seconds later, back to the Alltel tower, until the signal gets bad enough, and it would just bounce back and forth like that.

So far, that switching hasn't happened during a call, but any call while on the Alltel tower, the voice breaks up a lot.

I wish there was a way to change the dB threshold for switching towers. Like maybe not connect to any tower that has a RSSI of less than -98.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant007 View Post
    I have Sprint and their phones have the option for

SPRINT ONLY
    AUTOMATIC
    ROAMING ONLY

Now if you have these options for Alltel, I would suggest choosing ALLTEL ONLY.
    I have Sprint too. My question was actually about roaming on different networks.
    Yeah I don't know about that one then... report it to sprint as a bad tower because they actually pay the owner of the tower for their users to connect to the tower for roaming purposes. Just mention it's a bad tower, see what (doesn't) happens.