Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For some reason, when I'm sending text messages, it is randomly attaching text from e-mails that I received a long time ago. I sent my girlfriend a text message, and it attached text from an e-mail from a friend of mine. What's even crazier is that the e-mail was over a month old, and was deleted from my phone right after I received it. This has happened to me three times so far. Is thsi information stored on Sprint's server, or something like that? I need to find out what is going on before the wrong e-mail gets attached to the wrong text message. Let me know if any of you have experienced this.
    The Rules Change, But The Game Remains The Same
    sounds pretty weird but I'd say you need to do a hard reset ASAP
    Never heard of that before. I agree with live4spd about the hard reset. Sounds like something is screwed up royally. And I don't think it would be on Sprint's end--more the phone side.
    vader...actually i had something similiar happen.. my pda went crazy and textd a colleague over 100 sms messages from my history that i hadnt deleted.. it was rather funny as he had to hard reset his phone to get his sms capability back. When it happened to me it seemed as if Sprint servers themselves had a hiccup.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vader View Post
    For some reason, when I'm sending text messages, it is randomly attaching text from e-mails that I received a long time ago. I sent my girlfriend a text message, and it attached text from an e-mail from a friend of mine. What's even crazier is that the e-mail was over a month old, and was deleted from my phone right after I received it. This has happened to me three times so far. Is thsi information stored on Sprint's server, or something like that? I need to find out what is going on before the wrong e-mail gets attached to the wrong text message. Let me know if any of you have experienced this.

I had something similar happen to me only I was the one on the receiving end of the text messages (this is on Verizon). The text messages came from a friend of mine and they contained a bunch of text from an email of his. Weird.
    I had the same issue happen many many times on my 700W. Ever since I installed threaded sms messaging it hasn't happened. It's an absolutely unnerving issue.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    WOW! I'm really scared now lol. when I read the first post I thought this was an isolated problem but it seems like it isn't .

This is real serious, especially concerning the privacy aspect...
    It happened to me twice and it was NOT pretty :-(

I had Sprint wipe the phone and it occurred again a month later. Then I had them replace the phone. E-mail that was immediately deleted then later attached itself to a text message. No one is owning up to the error. I worked with Sprint, everyone.net, Palm, and Microsoft.

Since the messages were deleted and no longer on everyone.net's server (on one occasion) and gmail's server (on the other occasion), the only place they still existed was on the Treo in the .mpb files. I realized that there was some problem with them deleting properly - when you delete the e-mail, the .mpb should delete as well but I had a slew of them still on there. I have no idea how they just up and affixed themselves to my SMS but I did note that both times the problem happened when I was using Calligrapher. Phatware claims no fault as well. Surprised?

Anyone have anything else to add? I am EXTREMELY disturbed by this.
    This is seriously creepy. I always delete txts and email every day before I go to bed, and now I'm glad I do. Who knows what might get spit out to the wrong person. I shudder to think of what might happen if my complaining about a difficult client to my partner were to inadvertently be sent right to that person...
    END OF LINE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alienwhere View Post
    This is seriously creepy. I always delete txts and email every day before I go to bed, and now I'm glad I do. Who knows what might get spit out to the wrong person. I shudder to think of what might happen if my complaining about a difficult client to my partner were to inadvertently be sent right to that person...
    Do not be comforted by that alien. I delete mine IMMEDIATELY from my Treo. At night, I log in on my pc and delete it from the server as well. Mine STILL resurfaced a month later. It was not until I looked on my Treo and noticed all those .mpb files and became curious about what was taking up so much space, that I e-mailed one to myself and opened it up in Notepad on my pc and saw a looonnngggg deleted e-mail. So it is my theory that the .mpb files are connected somehow. It seems to be the ONLY place that the e-mail is still in existence. When I moved to 4smartphone.net for push e-mail, I noticed that the .mpb files delete quite cleanly. When I delete the e-mail, the associated .mpb disappears but even today I looked and noticed I had 3 stragglers sitting there when I deleted the e-mails weeks ago. Much improved, but I CANNOT afford to have this happen again. My e-mails are entertainingly filthy and they texted themselves to a CO-WORKER. It was extremely embarrassing. I posted this issue back in Jan but got no replies so I figured I was the only one. If this is something the Treo is going to be doing regularly, I cannot afford to fool with it :-(
    Holy crap. Does it make any difference if I store attachments on the SD and use SKTools to wipe it nightly?
    END OF LINE
    Darned if I know. I am feeling kind of sick reading this thread. I had myself thoroughly convinced that it happened due to some bonehead error I made when using the transcription software which was causing it to attach the .mpb. I have uninstalled Calligrapher and replaced the phone, cleaned up my .mpbs and I thought that would be the end of the story. now that I see it is happening to other people, I am nervous again. We pay too much money for this foolishness.
    I'm feeling a little emboldened only by the fact that there has been no backlash as of yet, from anyone I know. However, I am going to be ridiculously diligent about this now, although who knows if it even makes any difference. I can't believe this is the first I'm hearing about this. We definitely need some more info on this, and fast.
    END OF LINE
  14.    #14  

Just like IncredibleLee, I faithfully delete e-mails, because my e-mails aren't alway professional. It's a concern, because one of the times, it attached a deleted e-mail from my ex-girlfriend, and it was a text message I sent to my girlfriend. Luckily, it was very very clean, and there were no problems. But supposed it was something else. Needless to say I see it's a problem. I'm just trying to figure out how to stop it from happening.

IncredibleLee, you said something about .mpb files. 1 - where do you find them, and 2 - how do you delete them. Also, could it be something in the registry of my phone? Also, as a precaution, I'm waiting on my 6TH Treo from the Sprint store in NYC.
    The Rules Change, But The Game Remains The Same
    Programs
    File Explorer

These are in Windows/Messaging.

They have funky names like "5de3000e810310eg.mpb". Many of them have 0 bytes but there is still data on them. There should be one file for each e-mail you have residing on your Treo. you delete them the same way you delete e-mail - press the file with the stylus and the menu options will pop up to "Cut, Copy, Rename, Delete, Beam, or E-Mail". E-Mail yourself one of them and open it in Notepad if you want to see what is on it. I am sure there is an easier way to do it directly on the Treo but I am not tech-savvy enough to know what it is...lol.
    I just emailed Verizon's support about this problem and included the hyperlink to this thread. I also posted this issue on Palms forum. Everyone please send a support email about this to your carrier and or Palm so we can get this resolved as quickly as possible.

http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/me...essage.id=3055
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    This is a huge problem. I just briefly checked for mpb files on my Treo and there are some on there that are over a year old! (and these are emails that were deleted from my Treo long ago) I can't imagine what would happen if some of the info in those emails ended up in the wrong hands. A bug like this is inexcusable and could potentially ruin someone's life. Palm needs to do something about this ASAP.
    I also just found .mpb files in Windows/Messaging on my 700wx that are old email messages that I had deleted from pOutlook. I don't understand why some messages were deleted and others retained, but I agree it is a problem that needs to be resolved quickly.
    Holy crap. Does it make any difference if I store attachments on the SD and use SKTools to wipe it nightly?
    I have mine set to store attachments on the SD card, but the mpb files were in Windows/Messaging on the device itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrider View Post
    I have mine set to store attachments on the SD card, but the mpb files were in Windows/Messaging on the device itself.
    Arrgh! I have to check, but I think I'm deleting those anyway. Thanks for the tip.
    END OF LINE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast