Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was a dedicated Palm guy for years (early plastic Pilots, metal Pilots, VZ Palm Phone, etc...). I always felt the email/messaging solution was hokey, but, I dealt with it. For the last 4 years, I was PDA-less. However, I now am in need of one, so I bought a Treo 700wx yesterday. All my friends told me to get a BB, but, I felt attached to Palm.

The unit looked great, I liked most of the features, and everything was great. But, then reality started setting in...

I find out from my corporate system administrators that to connect to my corporate exchange email, I'm going to need to download "Good" software which allows me to synchronize with the servers. I start getting nervous as I download software for 10 minutes. So, basically, the software sits on top of the normal Mail / Contacts software and completely kills the nice integration that existed in the unit. I did a search on this board and found other people complaining about it, too. All of the things that I thought were nice about the Treo are compromised with this software. And there are no other options (from what I've read).

So, I'm heading over to the wireless store and I'm returning this unit and I'm getting a BB. It will do the things that I need it to do and I'll be happy about it. It won't look as pretty, but, it'll work the way it's supposed to.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    It's unfortunate that you ditched your 700wx for a BB because of your corporate IT requirements. Do come back to a WM-based Treo when your corporate sys admin allows direct-push from the Exchange server. I just got a 700w loaner and the seamless integration of email, calendar, etc is just awesome. No "Good" needed. No more PC sync needed. Everything OTA. :-)
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I hope didn't dump the 700wx yet!!!! You should have asked for advice before running and getting the crackberry. There is an alternative to GoodStink and I am using it on my 700wx, works FLAWLESS.
    GoodStink sux, bulky, cumbersome, slow, a resource hog and it takes over your contacts and everything else... your corporate system administrator is lacking in intelligence and is not fully educated on how incorporate a mobile device into your exchange. I'm a computer field tech and the system administrator of the corporation I work for too said that you can "only use goodlink to retrieve your corporate email".
    Let me ask you, are you able to check your corporate exchange mail via the web? You can use ActiveSync, resident on your Treo to access your exchange mail, contacts and calender... Admins need some edumication.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    What elephant007 said is true. If you can access:

https://www.mycorporateurl.xxx/oma

Then you've got everything you need to use a WM5 device. I switched from a Blackberry device and Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) last year when we upgraded to Exchange 2003. Why send all your e-mails through Canada first when you can have your Exchange server SECURELY push them to your WM5 device without a 3rd party involved????

Ask your network admin to stop by TC and we'll teach him :-)
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Ok, dumb question: If your corporate email is being handled via GoodLink, then what good does a Blackberry do you??
    I'm reading that either he uses Good w/Treo or Blackberry. Those are the only choices supported by his IT department. He is not happy with Good so he switched to a Blackberry.

I agree with the advice of others. If they have Good, they are probably using Exchange at his company (unlike my company which uses Lotus Notes.) You should try to use direct push.

I'm stuck with using a redirector and prefer it to a Blackberry. There are too many apps (e.g. Slingplayer & Skype) that just don't have BB equivalents.
    Nice question Minsc.

To the others, I doubt seriously if Treo_NYC's IT department said that Goodlink was the only way to get e-mail on his phone. Most likely, as those of us who truly do work in a corporate environment understand, Goodlink may have been that company's standard for delivering e-mail. There are known issues, security and otherwise, with using the "direct-push" method. Plus, I believe that limits you to WM only phones. While GL does have it's problems (I hate the fact that the GL contacts app takes over native contacts but using a Palm OS phone gives me a work around for that) and I'm not here to defend it, it is a nice application.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissian... it's all just what you like. As a tech, I happen to not care for GoodLink. I does take over your native contacts which means you have to keep to separate contact lists, one for GoodStink and one for your phonebook. I discovered reg hacks to resolve this issue, I shouldn't have to hack anything to configure GoodLink the way I'd like to use it. Another thing, you can't REMOVE it after you've installed it. Hard reset will cure that!! HA HA

I understood Treo_NYC to be saying that if he used a Treo he would have to use GoodStink and if he used a Blackberry he would not. Hope he replies!!

Here's how to configure your Treo to access your exchange server, sure it's not push mail if you can configure to check every 5 minutes which is just as good as push... battery consumption not an issue because I use mine with no difficulties.

1. START>PROGRAMS>ACTIVE SYNC
    2. MENU>CONFIGURE SERVER
    3. Enter the external address to your exchange server e.g. webmail.yourcompany.com
    4. NEXT
    5. Enter your username and password information, the domain should be YOURCOMPANY domain name, save password if you do not want to enter it every time your Treo syncs
    6. ADVANCED, configure as you wish
    7. NEXT
    8. Choose which items you'd like to Sync
    9. FINISH
    10. Click on SYNC to test... if your Treo does not sync repeat step 2 and then uncheck "This server requires..." then try to sync again.
    11. MENU>SCHEDULE this will allow you to schedule your peak and off-peak times. which are adjustable
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Actually, I wasn't intending to be sarcastic with my original post. I'm just stunned that there are IT departments out there that would go to the hassle of supporting 2 different wireless email platforms. Maybe I'm way out of touch, but I've never even heard of such a thing.

Since the OP is likely a newbie given that that was his first post, I figured I'd at least raise the question and make sure he wasn't getting a Blackberry just because his buddy has one - without knowing for sure that his company supports BB.
    I find many IT folks who 'think' they won't support Exchange ActiveSync because it's 'not as secure as the BES', yet who at the same time willingly support Outlook Web Access. And, of course, OWA and EAS work the same way - secure SSL connection, encrypted data, etc.

As was said above, it's just a matter of education. Once it's explained, most of the IT people I've worked with go 'oh, ok then. Same as OWA? Fine, then'.

Not everyone, naturally, but <most>.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    I find many IT folks who 'think' they won't support Exchange ActiveSync because it's 'not as secure as the BES', yet who at the same time willingly support Outlook Web Access. And, of course, OWA and EAS work the same way - secure SSL connection, encrypted data, etc.

As was said above, it's just a matter of education. Once it's explained, most of the IT people I've worked with go 'oh, ok then. Same as OWA? Fine, then'.

Not everyone, naturally, but <most>.
    Pretty bad when your "low level" techie know more real world tech stuff than the system/network/server admins.... hehe

ActiveSync kicks GoodStinks ****.... oh my, WTF!!! I gave Microsoft some props!

Notice we haven't hear from Treo_NYC since his started the thread?
    FOLLOW UP!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Most exchange servers will also allow POP3 access - you just have to know the right server ID and login.

I just use the POP3 client in pocket outlook, and it leaves all the mail on the server so when I get back to the office I can still use outlook.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I am ready to place an order for a VZW 700wx. Our company uses Lotus Notes. Can you tell me exactly what needs to be done so I can receive my Lotus Notes e-mail on the 700wx? A co-worker in our office has a Palm 650 and is starting to have issues with Lotus Notes. Our IT department asked him to install some software (not sure what it is) but he had difficulty loading it on to his 650 due to memory problems.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dihtn; 03/05/2007 at 05:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Help!!
    Most of us at work use Goodstink but I am the only one who went with Exchange. The only thing I cannot do that they can is do a Global search for contacts. So far all the contacts I've used have been in "Contacts" anyway. There drawback is obviously the opposite. I'm no IT guy and figured this out with help from this site.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    If i have OWA but I have to use a VPN to get access, does that mean I cannot sync my email?
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Most of us at work use Goodstink but I am the only one who went with Exchange. The only thing I cannot do that they can is do a Global search for contacts. So far all the contacts I've used have been in "Contacts" anyway. There drawback is obviously the opposite. I'm no IT guy and figured this out with help from this site.

You should be able to access your global address book from your treo. I certainly can. It is under "online contacts"

The only reason that good and blackberry even exist is because MS took their sweet time deploying direct push. Not that it is here, free, and works awesome there is seldom a reason to use the others.

The OP has an awful IT department.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    In the past, I was "Anti-Microsoft", probably not for the right reasons tho.
    But now that we are using Exchange SBS, outlook, word, excel, powerpoint and project along with 700wx's, I must admit it's pretty slick and dependable.
    I also can search and find global contacts on my 700wx with no 3rd party software, just native MS.
    In addition to the two posts above on this, let us know if you need more specifics on how you can easily do a Global Search for contacts, on your device, out of the box. You can do it - you just don't know how. Yet.

The <only> thing I've found that Good has that EAS does not have is support for Public Contact folders, off the Exchange server. I don't mean the GAL - I mean Public Contact folders. And I think that will change with WM6. Good = dying a slow death.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast