1.    #1  
    I just bought the Garmin mobile 10 GPS receiver, well recommended by NY times and I have not been able to make it work. I have spent at least 10 hours with Garmin Tech support and still nothing.
    Somehow even though I can pair the devices, I am unable to open the maps and make the GPS to work. I updated the new software version of Mobile XT and still does not work.

When I try to enable the GPS, I get the message that says:

"There was an error starting up Bluetooth. Please verify the installation of the garmin MobileXT Bluetooth files, or try reinitializing the device".

I have the feeling that 700wx is not compatible with this garmin software.

I appreciate any help or comments.
    I have this working as I type this. There are a few things that you need to do.

1) You need to go into the Bluetooth settings and pair with the GPS10. When prompted for the passkey enter '1234'. You then need to assign an outgoing com port to the GPS10. I used COM4. You need to uncheck the option to use a secure connection.

2) The Garmin Que software only supports a 240x320 screen. The easy way around this is to run a Virtual Display program like Nyditot. This works great.

3) You need to make sure the phone stays on and doesn't go to sleep. I am using a program called "Keep Alive" that does this. If the phone goes asleep you might lose the bluetooth connection (haven't test this).

I just got this phone 2 days ago. This all seems to work, but obviously I have not tried it on a road trip yet.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response.
    I do not have a problem pairing the devices but when I try to open the software, I keep getting that error message. First I cannot unlock the maps and then it says about the bluetooth error.
    Maybe there is a conflict with a program a may have.

Do you have the treo 700wx?
    I have tried that to use that port.
    I still keep getting the error message.
    I have a Verizon 700wx and got this working fine. I don't have any other suggestions to offer, but at least you know it is possible.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks.
    I finally got it to work but I had to do a hard reset.

Thanks.
  6. MED
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I bought the Garmin Mobile 10 w/ nRoute and Mobile XT. The GPS unit worked fine with Mobile XT w/ out any configuration. I didn't even have to pair it up.

But... I would like to use the GPS with Google Maps (if possible). I did pair it up successfully. I would like to know the other necessary settings that are necessary.
    - Under the Bluetooth settings, COM Ports, I set up a outgoing port on Port 4, unsecured.
    - Do I need a Incoming Port too?
    - Under Settings -> System -> GPS, you can set a Programs Port and a Hardware Port (& Baud rate). According to Garmin Help, you have to set a hardware port. I set up a Hardware Port on COM0. I wasn't getting anything from Google Maps until I did this. Now it at least says "Initializing GPS...".

Can anyone shed some light on how to set up the various needed ports?