Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I finally got totally fed up with this data issue after many, many calls to tech support. I really am disappointed. I purchased the 700wx at full retail to get away from the buggy 700p only to find that this phone has issues too. Anyway, I purchases the $35 SD wifi card from geeks.com and just canceled my data plan altogether. I have wifi most of the places I go anyway and now I can save $600 a year in VZW data charges. Yes, it is a little painful to have to stick the card in and out but the speed is incredible. The Treo seems to just work better without the data service enabled. I swear it actually runs faster after having the data package removed.
    Does anyone have anymore information on this problem. I just got my Treo 700WX a few weeks back and can't seem to get this fixed. Someone posted that this problem would not be fixed until VZW release Windows Mobile 6 for this device.

Has there been anymore updates on this? This problem is beginning to become a big pain and calling Verizon Data Support is a joke!

Thanks,
    -Joey
    binarydreams.....careful!!!! I thought about doing that myself, and as a VZW rep told me, you are paying for the data that comes into your phone. It does not matter if it is off their network, or wi-fi, you still pay. She also mentioned people racking up hundreds of dollars in bills without realizing it. Please don't let that happen to you, I would call your rep, and have them look into your data usage at this point, and make sure you don't have the problem I was told would happen.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    binarydreams.....careful!!!! I thought about doing that myself, and as a VZW rep told me, you are paying for the data that comes into your phone. It does not matter if it is off their network, or wi-fi, you still pay. She also mentioned people racking up hundreds of dollars in bills without realizing it. Please don't let that happen to you, I would call your rep, and have them look into your data usage at this point, and make sure you don't have the problem I was told would happen.
    in order for Verizon to charge you for incoming data, Verizon would need a way to monitor the usage....the only way they can do that is if the data is being accessed from their network....if you're not on Verizon's network for data, they have no idea how much data you're sending/receiving...they can't possibly charge him for using wifi instead of EVDO
    All I know is what the rep told me, They can tell when data is used on the phone. I did think it was strange, so I asked very specific questions about it. After a while it did make sence (not that they would charge) that if your going online with a cell phone, you still have a stream of input, and just like calls comming into and out of your phone (or text/pics) Verizon has records of usage. If anybody can get a rep to say different, I would be one of the first to drop my plan, get a small wi-fi SD card, and go with it.
    If you're connected on your provider's network and when incoming data comes in, the connection uses your providers equipment, which assigns an IP address to your device. If you shut off your phone radio, you lose your data connection. If you use a Wi-Fi card, you're connected to a different network and will be assigned a different IP address. Your provider will never know about the other IP address. Therefore, there will be no way for your provider to charge you for using another network's data access.

That rep is stating that they will charge you data usage that's not on their network. I would love to talk to that rep and educate them.
    LOL...let me look up the number of the store!!! I didn't know the details of it, but that is kinda along the lines I was thinking, if I am paying for internet (and then to make it wireless) in my own home, then how can they charge me to use it? OK...I am almost ready to get an SD card. Just one question....Can you disable EVDO (which the phone defaults to) to use wifi and not accumulate data charges (without turning the phone off)?

P.S. I never fail to be astonished by the fact that the people here in the forums are more knowledgable (and friendlier) that these so-called CS reps!!!!

Thanks
    Ahhh. The store rep, yes, I'm positive it's misinformation they gave.

The best way to make sure you are not using EVDO is to turn off the phone radio, by press and holding on the red phone button. Unfortunately, you will not receive any incoming calls.

Otherwise, if you use a Wi-fi card, you can set your network settings to use your new network. Also, you can probably make a slight change to #777 when the Treo tries to make a cellular dial to the internet.
    I'll definetly think about that option then....my one contention with VZW (as a whole) is the steep price of the data plan. Other than that, they have always been great to work with for me.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    back on topic a bit....anyone have any answers to this internet connection issue? i've just about had it...can't wait the for the xv6800 to come out
    I have to agree 100% this problem needs fixing. What really gets me going is when you call the data support people at VZW and they act like they have never heard of this problem . Just from this forum there has to be many people having the same problem that we are having.

What keeps happening to me is that my Exchange Active-sync will not sync because the phone as no Internet connection for it to be able to receive the ping command to issue the sync.

I have found a slight fixing or rigging for the problem. What I did was to use my home pop3 account and set it to check for new emails every 10 mins. With this account checking for new emails every 10 mins it seems that the Internet connection will stay connected. I am able to use the Internet right away and all incoming email messages from my Exchange Server Account come in just like they should.

Has any heard anything more from VZW about this problem. If so please post and keep us up-to-date.

Thanks,
    Joey
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    my question is: are we the only ones out of the hundreds of thousands of people who have the wx who are experiencing this issue. if so, there must be something uniquely common to our setup that is causing the issue.
    I would call verizon tech support except that #1 I dont want a refurb, #2 I dont want a refurb

They really have no idea whats going on & I guess I could call to complain so they have it for their records but whats the point?

Its amazing that my 700w never had any internet problems (it had many other issues) while the 700wx is a much better/stable PDA/phone, but it loses the internet all the time. It could drive you nuts.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I'm having the exact same problem. I am in a quandry where I still have my w that I was going to sell on ebay for what I thought was a superior phone the wx, but now this. It is still a better phone, but I find myself reseting the phone almost as much as I did with the w just to get the internet to work.

Anyone come up with any fixes yet?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Just noticed one more thing. It seems like the ev connection disconnects itself automatically after being connected for a while. That never happened with my w. I wonder if it could be a hardware thing with the wx? Maybe some kind of energy saving thing? It must be the phone itself to disconnect when already connected right? Is there a setting we can change? Or can the network disconnect us?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    bump....anyone have any idea how many people are affected by this problem....most everyone one else raves about how good the wx is?????
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Can someone start a survey or something? it is really annoying.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    No solution, but possibly an explaination. I too have the "modem disconnected"/"dialing #777" issue, but only in certain locations. At my home and office, everything is fine. At the marina where I keep the boat, major problems...so much so I bought that $35 wifi card (which is a great thread if you haven't read it yet). I called the big "V" and they admitted the tower that covers this area is having issues and will be replaced, at the END of 2008! Why they can't "fix" the tower, I don't know. The other solution that works is for me to plug in my booster, which is a Wilson model hooked to a 4-foot marine cellular antenna. I get about 20db gain with it which either overcomes that tower's issues, or picks up another tower.

Which brings me to the question (finally)...are those of you with this problem having the issue everywhere, or just at specific locations?
    Quote Originally Posted by mixman View Post
    Which brings me to the question (finally)...are those of you with this problem having the issue everywhere, or just at specific locations?
    Everywhere. On two different units (I got my original replaced with a new unit).

Edit: I should add (don't think I've seen this addressed before) that this problem manifests itself both when using the 700wx directly and when using it tethered to a laptop. Multiple attempts are usually necessary to connect. Also, it has occurred to me that the fact that I manually [disconnect now] after every Internet session might contribute to this. Possibly the folks that are not having the trouble (if any!) allow their devices to stay continuously connected. Therefore (re)establishing the connection is no problem. I dunno....

-Frank
    Last edited by Frankxs; 05/12/2007 at 12:26 PM.
    Yep. Count me in. When it happens it happens everywhere. It doesn't seem to have the problem all the time. But it is pretty consistent.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast