Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was with Cingular and the Treo 750 / Blackjack. I had so many issues with the Treo 750 bugs I couldn't stand it anymore. I got the BJ. But Cingular service got on my nerves after so many drop calls that I left them in my Trial and came to Sprint. I didn't even consider the Treo due to my 750 experience. I couldn't get the Treo to work with my Acura HF BT system so I knew Motorola phones worked fine with it.

I have now read the thread about the patch for the BT one of your members have done and it seems to fix the connection problems with BT devices. I can take my Q back which has been rebooting on its own and has a terrible battery life for the Treo 700wx. How is the call quality between the two phones, how is the signal strength? My Q never really has a strong signal. Very weak mostly everywhere. Our RAZR phones as the 2nd/3rd phone have a strong signal.

I want to know your opinions between the two phones and if its worth the upgrade. I also hope the patch will work with my car since no one has yet to test it with a Acura.

Thank you for your time!
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin-tl View Post
    I was with Cingular and the Treo 750 / Blackjack. I had so many issues with the Treo 750 bugs I couldn't stand it anymore. I got the BJ. But Cingular service got on my nerves after so many drop calls that I left them in my Trial and came to Sprint. I didn't even consider the Treo due to my 750 experience. I couldn't get the Treo to work with my Acura HF BT system so I knew Motorola phones worked fine with it.

I have now read the thread about the patch for the BT one of your members have done and it seems to fix the connection problems with BT devices. I can take my Q back which has been rebooting on its own and has a terrible battery life for the Treo 700wx. How is the call quality between the two phones, how is the signal strength? My Q never really has a strong signal. Very weak mostly everywhere. Our RAZR phones as the 2nd/3rd phone have a strong signal.

I want to know your opinions between the two phones and if its worth the upgrade. I also hope the patch will work with my car since no one has yet to test it with a Acura.

Thank you for your time!
    I have used both the Q and the 700wx on verizon and I can say the q is the superior phone, but the treo is the superior device.
    Everyone's opinion is different, and as such I highly disagree about the Q being the better phone.
    I strongly recommend the 700Wx over the Q anyday.
    I have experienced both (actually more than both) and the responsiveness of the 700Wx is better. Call quality is very good and signal is great too (i'm in NYC, so others may vary).
    Ofcourse technical differences do come into play.
    Q is Win Mobile Smartphone (with limited Win Mobile/PPC functionality), 700Wx is full Win Mobile (touchscreen, create with Word/Excel/PPT..and so forth).
    I have no issues with Bluetooth, my Logitech BT headset (almost 2yrs old)/Route 66 BT GPS receiver with TomTom 6/BT stereo headphones/iMac all work fine.

The Q has its place with folks who don't need the weight of the Treos or full Win Mobile and want a phone-type smart device first.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I've used both also, but I hated the Q. I had a 700w, switched to the Q when it came out, and couldn't wait to switch back to the Treo. Obviously the Treo does much more, but it also handled calls a lot better. I was out of town the weekend I got the Q, and I couldn't tell you how many times I was sitting there, with a good signal, and my phone would just pop up and say missed call.

YMMV, but I didn't think the Q was a better phone at all.
    I haven't used the Q. The closest I came to the Q was using T-Mobile's Dash. And if you're used to a Treo then (in my opinion) you'll probably feel limited in using a Q (because it is a Smartphone not a full PPC). This is a matter of preference, of course.

I have the Sprint 700wx (got it on the SERO plan, and if you're in the trial period with Sprint and you didn't get the SERO plan you should cancel and start all over because the prices are so good).

I installed the threaded SMS patch on my 700wx. I will shortly install the A2DP patch. This is a great phone/device/whatever. With a 4GB card in it, I now have a replacement for my Nano--one with a spare battery in my pocket so (unlike the Nano) I don't run against the "I'm outta juice" problem.

I am sorry to say this, but I like the 700wx better than the 650. Of course I will probably buy the next Treo that comes out with Linux/Palm/Garnet, because the user interface on the 650 was tremendous and I suspect Palm will take that skill to The Next Great Treo. But in the meantime, the 700wx (as enhanced by TC-supplied patches) is great.

$250 for the wx now on a SERO plan. $99/month for unlimited data and 2500 minutes and nights/weekends. I'm a happy dog. Well, except that I can't take my 700wx overseas with me and use it there.
  6.    #6  
    I would love to get the SERO plan but I am on a Family Plan with 3 phones and you can't do that with a SERO plan.

I might be picking one up tomorrow once I get my box and everything together tonight.
    It depends on how many minutes you are looking for, it may be cheaper to get individual sero plans as they include data on all lines, the cheapest plan is $30 for 500 minutes which means you would be looking at
    $90 plus tax for all three lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    I have used both the Q and the 700wx on verizon and I can say the q is the superior phone, but the treo is the superior device.
    Agreed.

If you are looking to do more than get push email, browse the web and talk on the phone than the treo is the better choice.

If not, and you can deal with the battery of the Q (which I dont find too bad) then there is no point in carrying the extra weight. The Q is just so light and thin compared to the Treo.
    Plus the Q's screen is 1000x better than the W/WXs.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    OP, keep in mind that how many "bars" you have on one device versus another is not a good indication of which performs better from an RF perspective.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  10.    #10  
    A friend of mine has a friend he knows that had the 700wx from Sprint. He said he would get drop calls all the time with it. He now owns the Q without any.

Any ideas on that? After hearing that it kinda makes me not want to get the Treo since my 750 with Cingular also had a lot of drop call issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin-tl View Post
    A friend of mine has a friend he knows that had the 700wx from Sprint. He said he would get drop calls all the time with it. He now owns the Q without any.

Any ideas on that? After hearing that it kinda makes me not want to get the Treo since my 750 with Cingular also had a lot of drop call issues.
    I have the WX on Verizon and have not yet experienced a drop call. I did have the Q on verizon and it would drop from time to time.
    The WX on sprint does not have any issues with dropped calls.
    I have the Sprint WX and I love it. The only con that I can think of is that the Voice Command doesn't work over your BT headset. I wish someone/Palm would come up with a fix for it.
    I'm a long time user of the Treo 700wx (got it the first day it was out) and same with the Q.

Both are great devices and each has it's trade offs. I think anyone would be happy with either device and I highly recommend both. Just depnds on what you like, form-factor, etc.

They have more in common than differences, but here are a few that I noticed:

The BT on the Treo is atrocious, just horrible while on the Q it is probably the best you'll find (I can be easly 15 feet away or in another room and still have it work) and it stays connected.

Speed-wise
    : Treo is fast but if you do the ol' reg tweaks on the Q it's pretty fast as well.

Resolution
    : The screen is way better looking on the Q (320x240) vs 240x240. Because of this, you get true full-screen resolution on the Slingplayer and it looks amazing.

Call quality/Phone: The Q beats the Treo. It just works better and the sound quality is higher. Not that the Treo is bad per se, just that the Q is better imo.

Limitations: I don't miss the touch screen and I don't edit documents on my device but I view them and the Q is fine for this. Need to edit? Just get Documents to Go and you're all set. Really that is the only limitation between the two.

There is less software for the Q but it's of higher-quality and there is better freeware.

Size: the Q is literally half the width of the Treo and you can put it in your pocket and not feel silly (I carry mine in my shirt pocket). The Treo is a brick in comparison but the Treo does have nice overall build quaility.

Battery life:
    honestly, if you run the with the Q's backlight dimmed, have it time-out in 10 seconds (just like the Treo) it's actually a very efficient system. After all we are comparing an 1130 mah battery (Q) to a stock 1800 (Treo) battery and I find them comparable.

Put it this way: I was thinking the Q's battery would be the worst part and instead I was rather shocked about how decent it is. Now, it might not be enough for someone who spends hours a day surfing on it but most people at SU find it more than enough, including myself.

Finally, the homescreen .xml system is just awesome. Like this one:

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    That home screen is pretty. I have a 700wx and I'm deeply jealous. Not jealous enough to buy a Q (had the Dash and decided that Smartphones were not for me). But jealous.

And I agree with the comments on BT. Other people have somehow figured out how to make BT work on a phone. Why can't Palm's Giant Brains Figure This Out?
  16.    #16  
    Well I know there is a fix now for the BT issue that a guy came out with. So BT shouldn't be a issue anymore. I got to mess with the 700wx at Sprint today for a little bit. Definitely easier to use due to the touch screen. Just worried about the other issues it might have.
    Are you talking about Hannip's BT fix?

Does that make it utterly reliable for me to yap on my Scala 500 without crackles, dropouts, buzzes, and a necessity to hold my Treo within 3 feet of my head?
  18.    #18  
    yes it fixes that
    I have had the Q and the wx as well and IMO the Q was just too limiting...although it felt great in my hand.
    Great little write up Malatesta.

Where did you find that home screen? I have not seen that one around.

-Rob
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast