Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Malatesta is the Q's speed comparable to an overclocked Treo 700wx running at 520mhz? I am interested in the Q's but I fear that it is too slow compared to the Treo. Thanks for the info.
  2. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraYellow350z View Post
    Malatesta is the Q's speed comparable to an overclocked Treo 700wx running at 520mhz? I am interested in the Q's but I fear that it is too slow compared to the Treo. Thanks for the info.
    UltraYellow350z,how do you overclock to 520 mhz & does it affect the overall longevity of the treo?
  3.    #23  
    My current Q is ready to go back today. It has turned itself off 4 times now and I had to remove the battery to make it power back on. Time to go get a Treo and hope its more reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin-tl View Post
    My current Q is ready to go back today. It has turned itself off 4 times now and I had to remove the battery to make it power back on. Time to go get a Treo and hope its more reliable.
    Keep your fingers crossed.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraYellow350z View Post
    I mean...that's not even close.

They're both around 300mhz processors, so you can't really compare it to a 512mhz. The Q with the old glyphacache tweaks is fairly similar in performance to the 700wx (non-overclocked).

To put it another way, when comparing the two devices, speed is not something that comes to mind as being very different. I have noticed that smartphone programs tend to be smaller in size than PPC ones and that might play a small role in performance.

Instead of overclocking though I would suggest using Teksoft's Speedbooster program that selectively gives higher cpu priority to pre-chosen programs. Much more efficient and stable.

pimpin-tl
    hate to say it but it is either

a) software you are running is causing the problem/conflict
    b) you have a defective device

I've honestly never had my Q crash, miss a call or stop responding. It's been extremely stable compared to every other device out there. I would also add that the consensus is that the Q is stable as well. That's not to distract you from trying the 700wx but just to stress: it could happen there too as the 700wx is no more or no less stable.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6.    #26  
    Definitely not software unless you consider the DST patch could be the cause of it. That is all it has on it now.

Well it has never missed a call or stopped responding, it has been a good phone. It is just powering itself off while sitting on my desk. And it won't come back on without me removing the battery.

I rather have bugs than a phone turning itself off. Because I am on call for a school and if the systems go down I have to get to work or remote in to fix the problems. I can't afford my phone to not be working.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

They're both around 300mhz processors, so you can't really compare it to a 512mhz. The Q with the old glyphacache tweaks is fairly similar in performance to the 700wx (non-overclocked).

To put it another way, when comparing the two devices, speed is not something that comes to mind as being very different. I have noticed that smartphone programs tend to be smaller in size than PPC ones and that might play a small role in performance.

Instead of overclocking though I would suggest using Teksoft's Speedbooster program that selectively gives higher cpu priority to pre-chosen programs. Much more efficient and stable.

pimpin-tl
    hate to say it but it is either

I've honestly never had my Q crash, miss a call or stop responding. It's been extremely stable compared to every other device out there. I would also add that the consensus is that the Q is stable as well. That's not to distract you from trying the 700wx but just to stress: it could happen there too as the 700wx is no more or no less stable.
    "Instead of overclocking though I would suggest using Teksoft's Speedbooster program that selectively gives higher cpu priority to pre-chosen programs. Much more efficient and stable."

Mal,

Which apps do you think most benefit from the speedboost program?
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    UltraYellow350z,how do you overclock to 520 mhz & does it affect the overall longevity of the treo?
    I use XCPUScalar and I got it working 100% perfectly without a freeze for over a month. It reduces the battery life of it in use, but not on standby. I'm just picky about having the GUI respond to clicks asap so that's why I use it. If you play games and use other programs, you might have it freeze on you sometimes. I just use the basics.

pimpin-tl hate to say it but it is either

Thank-you for the reply. I just tried the software you suggested, but I can't find a way to speed up the GUI interface. As in just how fast windows appear and how fast I can answer a phone call. The delay is what bugs me. I think the overclocking is the best way for me, but thanks for the heads up about that program. I like the portability of the Q and how it looks, if theres ever a overclocking program out for it, I might consider the switch.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12