Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    **UPDATE**(revised step 20)
    Instructions are kind of lengthy, I hope they're easy to follow. I type it step by step as I was configuring the modem myself... HAVE FUN!

1. Download and unzip the provided file at an easily accessible place (I used my Desktop)
    2. On your Treo, START>PROGRAMS>MODEM LINK
    3. Make sure the CONNECTION is USB
    4. Click on ACTIVATE
    5. Plug the USB cable from the computer to the Treo
    6. FOUND NEW HARDWARE, click LOCATE AND INSTALL DRIVER SOFTWARE (RECOMMENDED)
    7. Click DON'T SEARCH ONLINE
    8. CLick NEXT
    9. CLose the COULD NOT FIND DRIVER SOFTWARE error.
    10. Close the WINDOWS WAS UNABLE TO INSTALL YOUR PALM TREO error
    11. Click START>CONTROL PANEL>DEVICE MANAGER
    12. Within DEVICE MANAGER you will see PALM TREO with an explanation mark.
    13. Right click PALM TREO and select UPDATE DRIVER
    14. Select BROWSE MY COMPUTER FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE
    15. BROWSE to your DESKTOP or where ever you unzipped the provided file
    16. Click INSTALL THIS DRIVER SOFTWARE ANYWAY
    17. Click CLOSE when you're prompted that you've SUCCESSFULLY UPDATED YOUR DRIVER

Now to setup the connection

1. Click on START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER (keep this window open)
    2. From the left hand pane, select SET UP A CONNECTION OR NETWORK
    3. Select SET UP A DIAL-UP CONNECTION>NEXT
    4. Select USB MODEM
    5: DIAL-UP PHONE NUMBER: #777
    6. Leave the username and password blank
    7. Click on REMEMBER THIS PASSWORD
    8. Name the connection to whatever you'd like to name it
    9. Decide on your own if you want others to use this connection
    10. Click CONNECT and WAIT!
    11. You will receive INTERNET CONNECTIVITY TEST WAS UNSUCCESSFUL
    12. Click, SET UP THE CONNECTION ANYWAY>CLOSE
    13. With your Treo still connected, execute a SOFTREST
    14. After your Treo reboots, START>PROGRAMS>MODEM LINK
    15. Click on ACTIVATE
    16. Click on MANAGE NETWORK CONNECTIONS in the Network and Sharing Center
    17. Double click your connection and then DIAL
    18. After your connection is made, decide the location, I used HOME
    19. Then click CLOSE
    20. Open INTERNET EXPLORER>TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>CONNECTIONS and change to NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION
    doing that step will prevent an internet connection from automatically dialing. I'm on wireless and kept having the dialup connection popping up...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by elephant007; 02/27/2007 at 06:04 PM.
    Can you make this work in XP? There's no "free" way to use the treo as a modem in XP.
    Quote Originally Posted by robodude View Post
    Can you make this work in XP? There's no "free" way to use the treo as a modem in XP.

The A2DP solution allows BT DUN....
    Sweet, it worked!!!

I had a couple of steps that weren't the same at the end but it worked and it's pretty darn fast as well!

Thanks a bunch.
  6.    #6  
    you bet! I did mine on a fresh install.
    what steps were different?
    Will the XP version work for Verizon customers?
    During step 11 it recognized the connection. I went ahead and did a soft reset, started up the application and activated it.

Works great.
    Not sure you can try it and see. I'm on sprint.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by trev230 View Post
    During step 11 it recognized the connection. I went ahead and did a soft reset, started up the application and activated it.

Works great.
    SWEET fewer steps, even better!!!!!! I did two installs of the driver, both from fresh installs (cause I figured out how to use the WinRE and WIM he he)

As veronicamays said, try it and see... I'm confident that the DRIVER will work...
    I'm sure that the difference would be how you set up the connection itself, the number, username and password
    Has anyone had any luck with the Vista x64 OS? I tried the instructions above, but received the error that it is not a compatible x64 driver (See attached image). I did not see any architecture specific settings in the .INF to change.

Thanks,
    ~Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by icestac View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with the Vista x64 OS? I tried the instructions above, but received the error that it is not a compatible x64 driver (See attached image). I did not see any architecture specific settings in the .INF to change.

Thanks,
    ~Jeff
    I've posted this in a different forum and one person there running the 64bit system was unable to install the device like you. Although the site I got these drivers from says it supports Vista 64bit, it doesn't seem to work. I installed Vista 64bit on my computer and attempted to find a resolve for the problem and was unable to find one.
  13.    #13  
    Driver Installation for 32-bit and 64-bit Platforms

To simplify installation of 64-bit drivers from a 32-bit installer, Microsoft provides 64-bit versions of the Driver Install Frameworks (DIFx) tools in the Windows Server 2003 SP1 DDK. The DIFx tools include:

The Driver Package Installer (DPInst).

The Driver Installation Frameworks for Applications (DIFxApp).

Instead of writing a separate 64-bit installer for 64-bit platforms, you can launch the correct version of DPInst or DIFxApp from a single 32-bit installer.

You cannot use 32-bit driver installation packages to directly install 64-bit drivers, but you can use them to determine which architecture is being run and then launch the appropriate installer. On 64-bit platforms, the 32-bit installer runs under WOW64, the x64 emulator that allows Win32-based applications to run on 64-bit Windows. The installer must be able to detect the platform on which it is running so it can install the correct driver package for that platform.
    RESEARCH HERE
    Download Required Tool Here
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Good mornin guys!

I am hoping somebody here has a solution to my problem that I'm experiencing....I've been goolgling and reading forums for several hours now, and I still cant find anything so it's time to post now lol.

First off, I'm leaving for Arizona in 13 hours and will be gone for 12 days which is why I am tryin really hard to get this internet workin again on my laptop. Here's my current situation/status -

Laptop is running Windows vista home premium, and I have a Treo 700wx w/sprint service. last week I got everything working following the instructions above and everything was workin great for about 5 days. I did a hard reset on my treo because I had installed a bunch of different stuff to try out and then hard reset it to install just what I decided to use and have a fresh start.

Now, when I tried to connect to my laptop tonight to verify everything was working before I left tomorrow, the laptop sees the phone and its in the device manager but after about a half minute or so, the phone disconnects from the pc. if I unplug the usb cable and plug it back in, it shows up again for about 30 secs and then goes away. I am doing everything the exact same as before when it worked for the past 5 days.

Steps I've taken so far include -

-soft reset on treo
    -running a system restore on pc to before I installed the treo drivers/configured for using the phone as a modem and went through setup process again. (had to be quick as usb modem would dissapear shortly after I started the install process)
    -uninstalled verizon bluetooth stack (in case it was causing conflicts somehow - it wasn't installed when I didn't have any problems before)

What would you guys recommend I do to try to get this workin before I leave tomorrow? I would really really like to have this for my trip

I was even going to install XP Pro instead in case there was a problem with vista somehow, but my XP cd is cracked (physically) from the center ring out about 3/4" and wont read anymore so that isn't even a option...

One other side note is that I ported my nextel number over to my treo phone about 8 hours ago. I can make/recieve calls with my ported number on my treo, and go on PIE but I can't recieve any text messages. Also, when we went into that ## menu with customer service they had me enter a temp number as the device phone number instead of my actual/real number for the account. Could that have anything to do with it do you think? I would think that may cause actual problems once my laptop dials #777, but I cant even get that far because the usb modem becomes disconnected/goes away in the device manager so I get a error of 680 - no dialtone in windows if I try to dial anyways.

Thanks guys! I'm really hopin to get this working....I bought a sling box specifically for this trip and it would make it useless to not be able to use internet on my laptop with my phone.

just a heads up...I posted this in a similar thread in another forum also due to my urgency to get this resolved before I leave (in my opinion its urgent atleast )
    When all else failed, I used PdaNet and it worked like a champ -- even on Vista x64.
    Just got PDANet (1.73) last week and it works without fail! I am using Vista business with a bluetooth connection to my phone and I am getting ~100k download speeds with 1X!

I would recommend it to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter_in_wi View Post
    Just got PDANet (1.73) last week and it works without fail! I am using Vista business with a bluetooth connection to my phone and I am getting ~100k download speeds with 1X!

I would recommend it to anyone.
    I have been unable to use PdaNet v. 1.73 with Vista business via bluetooth on my Treo 700w. There seems to be a connection between the laptop and the Treo since I can transfer files between them, but I always get a "no device found" message when trying to connect with PdaNet via bluetooth (it works using USB cable).

I contacted June Fabrics but they say they cannot help "since all Bluetooth software work differently."

Any advice or suggestions?
    OK...

I /finally/ got this to work but I have to repeat from step 13 every time I want to connect.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    okay well i have a problem...for some reason my computer doesnt locate my treo...is there a way that i can do it manually???
    Quote Originally Posted by derene View Post
    I have been unable to use PdaNet v. 1.73 with Vista business via bluetooth on my Treo 700w. There seems to be a connection between the laptop and the Treo since I can transfer files between them, but I always get a "no device found" message when trying to connect with PdaNet via bluetooth (it works using USB cable).

I contacted June Fabrics but they say they cannot help "since all Bluetooth software work differently."

Any advice or suggestions?

I think that the bad news is that your problem may be the Bluetooth stack on your PC. I have tried this with an IBM Thinkpad and A Dell laptop. The Thinkpad didn't work at all for me but the Dell works every time.

When you check out the available Bluetooth services for the Treo on the PC, you should see something like:
    • A2DP
    • Headset Audio Gateway
    • Dial-up Networking (DUN) COM8 (or some other COM port)
    PdaNET sees that DUN COM port and takes control of it. When I first paired my Treo, it asked me if I wanted to make that service available. I checked "yes" and it has worked ever since.

I did the same thing on the Thinkpad BUT... I could never see the DUN service listed on the PC. I could never get that to work at all.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast