1.    #1  
    Has anyone found a way to enable manual network select on a Treo 750v (or c) using a 3G 64K Cingular sim? There must be a hack to do this as there was on the 650. I'm willing to pay a reward of $100 for someone to figure this out! Thanks.
    Do you mean like what the phone settings has already?
    U click on the signal bar, then you have a pop up windows, you click on parameters.

then u click on networks in the tab table.
    then you can choose automatique or manuel.

hope this helps
    Cingular SIMs block the ability manually select the network.
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts
    I have a 64K sim in my Treo 750 Cingular. You click start, then choose settings. From settings, on the personal tab, choose the phone icon. Then choose the services tab. On this page, there should be a box with things like call waiting and caller ID. Choose the band selection and you should go to a screen with 2 boxes. In these 2 boxes, you can choose network type (GSM or UMTS) and the GSM/UMTS band (GSM 900+1800 & UMTS 2100 or GSM 1900+850 & UMTS 1900+850).
    The Cingular SIM blocks the feature that allows you to select the network maually. Use any other carrier's SIM in the Treo 750 and you'll see this feature. But Cingular's has the instruciton to hide it. Cingular is the only carrier in the world that I know does this. The network being the CARRIER, not the UMTS/GSM band.
    I see how people get confused, there are two different network selections and this is not about the one that you can already access.
    See my web page here which hosts the hack for the Treo 650 which I helped to create for more info on what I mean by Cingular blocking the feature.
    http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks/selectnetwork/
    I guess I'm going to get started on one for WM5 (Treo 750) but I'm not confident that I'll be able to pull it off. Windows Mobile works way different than Palm OS (Which made it easy.) So we'll see.
    I think it's just a matter of blocking the instruction that tells the OS to hide the feature (pretty much what we did on Palm OS.) I just have to figure out how to do that.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  7.    #7  
    I hope taylorh or someone else can figure this out. I really care about it for international travel. I was in London last week and stuck on the Orange network and data services didn't work for some reason. I finally went into a tube station far enough to loose the Orange signal (1800 mhz) and pick up O2 (900 Mhz) and then my phone stayed locked onto O2. What a pain!
    Global Posts
    1,025 Global Posts
    Sorry, you were right Taylorh, I was confusing the Carrier with the band. The device would also have to be unlocked before you could use another carrier's SIM in the device anyway.

I have a friend I work with that goes to China on vacation a lot (he visits family) and he takes a unlocked Cingular phone with him and just buys a SIM card from one of their carriers over there and pops it in his phone to use while there. It locks to their towers and he has a phone to use while on vacation. No expensive long distance fees. He only pays for 1 month of service.
    No problem. It happens all the time since 3G phones have a band selection. As it is you have to change a reg setting to unhide the band selection on the 8525 (boo.) At least it's exposed by default on the 750.

Oh that reminds me, I have to call cingular and get an unlock code for my 750. I have a T-Mobile SIM. I think watching what it does with the T-Mo sim vs. the Cingular SIM will help me find where to hack it. That's one of the things I did on the 650 along with some of shadowmites tools. But I have to get the darn thing unlocked first.
    Well it may be a while, but I'm going to try to get started on this soon. I'm just so freakin' busy lately. But my wife will be away on business this month a lot and that's when I find I have more time, LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh View Post
    No problem. It happens all the time since 3G phones have a band selection. As it is you have to change a reg setting to unhide the band selection on the 8525 (boo.) At least it's exposed by default on the 750.

Oh that reminds me, I have to call cingular and get an unlock code for my 750. I have a T-Mobile SIM. I think watching what it does with the T-Mo sim vs. the Cingular SIM will help me find where to hack it. That's one of the things I did on the 650 along with some of shadowmites tools. But I have to get the darn thing unlocked first.
    Well it may be a while, but I'm going to try to get started on this soon. I'm just so freakin' busy lately. But my wife will be away on business this month a lot and that's when I find I have more time, LOL.
    Have you had any luck with the network select hack?? Anyone know if there is a hack out there somewhere??
    I have manual network selection on my treo but I am still using my old 32k sim. All of the new 64k sims have this feature taken out of them as stated before.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future