Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Member View Post
    So the "PushEffect" will alert when a new email has arrived without having to sign on the internet? Or does the Treo need to be on the net at that time??

Also, a silly question, I thought "SMS" was sending a pic and text was text sending. A "threading SMS" is the text messaging that reads like a conversation like on the palm based 600 and 650?
    It's all automatic, when a new message hits the server, it's downloaded to the device a few seconds later, the device wakes up displays a notification, vibrates the phone and plays a sound. I never have to touch my Treo. Just like the blackberry or exchange activesync. The best thing is, it works with gmail, POP3, IMAP, and most ISP mail servers.
    I can receive gmail, but it's not getting sent. Can someone please post the appropriate configuration for servers and ports, user name syntax, and whether a separate outgoing server is required?
    There's the new emoze (I think that's what it's called) and it's FREE and does Push email. Only thing is that it needs to be up and running on a running computer that's always on. Supposedly emoze is faster than a BlackBerry on various tests out there.
  4.    #24  
    Yes, emoze requires your PC to be left on. PushEffect doesn't, it's quick, and adds a whole bunch of other cool and much needed features to Messaging.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    This PushEffect seems like a very cool program and possibly could save me from migrating to an Exchange server for mobile ActiveSync... but alas it does not seem to work on our 750's!
    CAN I ASK A DUMB QUESTION?

what is the difference between push effect and having your treo check every minute?

i mean REALLY different? i know that push may equal alot fewer send/receives of the treo/hour, but with unlimited data plans and etc, why so much effort?

just wondering!
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmacisto View Post
    CAN I ASK A DUMB QUESTION?

what is the difference between push effect and having your treo check every minute?

i mean REALLY different? i know that push may equal alot fewer send/receives of the treo/hour, but with unlimited data plans and etc, why so much effort?

just wondering!
    Simple answer? Battery life... your Treo checking every minute will KILL your battery real quick. If you use a program like this, you are in fact never checking e-mail unless there is e-mail to download, which is what the SMS tells you. If you receive e-mails every minute, then it may not make sense to have this, but for those of us who receive a few per hour or per day, it makes a lot of sense.
  8.    #28  
    I've been using PushEffect for a few weeks. It is extremely reliable and my battery life has improved SUBSTANTIALLY since installing it and shutting off scheduled checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by neill View Post
    I can receive gmail, but it's not getting sent. Can someone please post the appropriate configuration for servers and ports, user name syntax, and whether a separate outgoing server is required?
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=13287

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...y?answer=13273
    anyway to use this with AOL?

(i assume not, bc AOL mail cant be forwarded?)
    I was going to check out push effects. But it uses SMS. Do all of you have 3000 SMS plans or what? If I had it send me an SMS for every new email I got I'd burn through my SMS in no time.
    I have an unlimited plan. If you don't have a high text plan then this probably won't make the most sense for you.
    Ah. Cingular doesn't have unlimited text plans, so I guess it's no going to work out for us.
    unlimited text here as well --too bad doesnt work with AOL
    For anyone interested:
    I have started Beta testing Seven's new push mail service and it works beautifully. It's true TCP/IP data channel push (not SMS based) and so far it works with Yahoo, GMial, AOL, AIM, POP, and IMAP. It also works with Exchange behind a firewall using a 'desktop re-director'.
    Push definitely works with Yahoo, IMAP, and exchange. POP is only checked every so many minutes (then pushed.) I'm not sure if they have push on AOL and GMail.

Seven is the company that makes Cingular XPress mail and Sprint Business connect. But the current (XPress Mail) has it's down sides and isn't true push.
    The new beta is a total redesign (at least on Windows Mobile) and supports multiple email accounts. It also supports subfolders on IMAP and exchange accounts with full syncing and PUSH on both.

Now it is beta, so it has plenty of bugs right now, so be aware of it. I don't recommend signing up unless you're willing to deal with bugs early on and provide freeback. But it is an open beta:
    http://community.seven.com/

Pusheffects sounds pretty cool. But I can't get unlimited SMS on Cingular so it's not an option.

I just wanted to share this wonderful new version. The beta only started about a 1-2 weeks ago.

Currently Yahoo has a bug where you can't send mail and some syncing issues that will hopefully be fixed in about a week.

For the record I don't work for Seven, I just wanted to spread the word on the new beta version.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12