1.    #1  
    All, I apologize for being one of those people but I have a bunch of BASIC questions. I am a new TREO user and a recent convert from Samsungs Blackjack. In the effort of keeping it brief, I'll bullet point my questions.

-Voice Activated Dialing? Is it possible? How so?
    -Shutting off? Is there a way to completely turn the device off? I know I can press the red power button but it seems like it just puts the device in sleep mode. I do know how to turn the phone on and off, but what about the entire device?
    Color Theme-Any websites have free downloads? Is it possible to change?

Thanks!
    Welcome to TC and congratulations on your new 750.

1. Voice Activated Dialing? I assume you have Settings | Personal Tab | Voice Command installed as I do on my 700wx. Really really fabulous stuff. I have names of foreign people in my Contact database and the little person inside my Treo can figure out who is what. For better or worse, my 10 year old daughter can make it work properly too.

2. Shutting Off. This is just something you get used to. The thing is always on. You turn the phone/data on or off. The entire device is always alive, ready to be your humble servant by waking you up or entertaining you with endless hours of Solitaire.

3. Color Theme. Do some searching around here for what people have done with their Today screens. That will give you a start on how to customize your phone, both as to color and content.
    I am in the same boat as the OP. New to the Treo, just bought it a week ago and have a few questions of my own. Hope you don't mind me asking them here.

1. Is it possible to set an mp3 as a ringtone? What about setting up a specific ringtone for certain callers? mp3 as an alarm?

2. If I miss a call or text message, is there a way to get the phone to notifiy me with a blinking light or something so I know? Right now the only way I can check to see if I missed a call is to hit the Power/End button then the center button to unlock it.

3. I'm paying $49/mo. for unlimited data and I still haven't found any streaming audio or video sites. do they exsist?

4. Can I set up my phone to automatically notify me if I recieve an email?

5. How do I close programs? When I hit the x or "ok" on the top right of screen it just minimizes the program and shows it as still running. At the end of the
    day I have almost no memory free and I have to manually stop all programs. Is this intentional?

6. Can I send and recieve files to and from my phone? Any limitations?

That's all I can think of now. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Last edited by Aqxea; 02/27/2007 at 09:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    To add an MP3 as a ringtone, get the MP3 on your Treo somehow. Then go to Settings, Sounds and Notifications, Manage. Menu, Add. Browse to the location with the MP3, and Select it. Now you will find the name of that MP3 available in the list of ringtones. You can select separate sounds for a known caller (calling number provided) and unknown caller (not provided.) You can select a specific ringtone for a particular caller in Contacts - it's one of the edit fields. You can even supply a picture.

There is a notification preference for new emails and text messages. You can get sound and/or vibrate. I have not yet discovered how to get it to keep reminding you or flash a light. I think there are add-ons that do that.

You can stop running programs in the "Memory" applet under Settings. You can send and receive files, though I have not yet figured out how to save sa file from an email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqxea View Post

2. If I miss a call or text message, is there a way to get the phone to notifiy me with a blinking light or something so I know? Right now the only way I can check to see if I missed a call is to hit the Power/End button then the center button to unlock it.
    PhoneAlarm (www.pocketmax.net) can provide this. There is also a free solution in the Fun With Mortscript thread

4. Can I set up my phone to automatically notify me if I recieve an email?
    Same as above will notify you by blinking LED
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Which LED blinks on the Palm 750?
    Which LED blinks on the Palm 750?
    There is a charging/notification led to the left of the ear speaker.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    To save an attachment (file) from an e-mail just press and hold the attachment in the e-mail. A "Save As" box will pop up, select it, and then choose a name and location for the file.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.

3. I'm paying $49/mo. for unlimited data and I still haven't found any streaming audio or video sites. do they exsist?
    Well, there is somafm.com that streams audio. Depends if you like what they offer, though.

Mostly I have a great gob of MP3s on my SD card. I have a 700wx. I don't do the streaming thing much.
    Okay, I found the red LED light. Is there a way to set it to blink rapidly if I miss a call or recieve a txt msg?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    By default, the LED won't flash to remind you. You have to install a third-party alarm manager such as the one scottymomo suggested above. These will also repeat the alarm (sound/vibrate) which the Treo won't do by default.
    Welcome aquayonex. In order to activate Voice Command, you would have to go to the settings menu, personal tab, and click on Voice Command icon and enable it by checking the box. If you want to map the Voice Command function to a button to have voice dialing, you can go to settings, personal tab, and buttons--I have my side button mapped to Voice Command.

Themes: Try Googling them for Windows Mobile or Pocket PC themes. Most will be in 240 X 320--you'd need 240 X 240 themes.

There is no known way to shut off the device besides removing the battery entirely.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks! It's weird that Voice Command doesn't have any on screen program. I have played with the settings and enabled stuff but could never figure out how to activate it. My phone doesn't have Voice Command listed on the programs menu. Is it supposed to be there?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    No - Voice Command is under Settings, it is not a Program. It is described in the manual under "Setting up Voice Commands".
  15.    #15  
    So basically, until you assign a button to voice command it's useless to use for activation purposes?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I guess so. Do you really want this on all the time? I'll also note that many users report that enabling Voice Command makes their Treo unstable.
    To enable Voice Command, go to Start Menu, Settings, and click on the Voice Command icon. There should be a check box to Enable Voice Command.

The problem with Voice Command, in my experience, is that it takes a while to "wake up" the phone when a call comes in. Essentially, what that means is that the screen turns on, but no ringtones and not voice call announcements (Voice Command can be set to say "Call from XXXXX at work") so your phone screen will be on but no ringer. Then you hear one or two rings (not enough time to pick up), and the call goes to voicemail.

Others have reported that Voice Command interferes with system sounds (the Treo will be in silent mode with no rings and no vibrate) and that pressing the volume up or down hard buttons will not activate the onscreen volume controls, but rather jump to the battery meter. It used to happen frequently on my Treo 750 but all of the sudden it stopped and this erratic behavior never happened since.

Your experience, depending on settings, programs installed (and wheere, to main memory or storage card) will vary.